Apache::MP3 Stream problem

  • HHH3@alum.rpi.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
      Hello,
      This is my first question to the mod_perl list so I hope I do it right. I have recently ported Apache::MP3 to work with mod_perl 2 on an apache2 webserver. Everything works right (display, downloading, etc) except the streaming...sometimes. It seems that the first time a user logs on to the site and clicks 'Stream' on any directory or file, it will work, but any attempts after that it goes to a standard 404 playlist.m3u page not found error. That's all there is in the Apache log as well. Sometimes it won't stream at all and sometimes it will work more than once. Any ideas as to why this would happen? One thought I had was that the shared files are on a separate windows box and are shared via Samba. If the playlist is actually temporarily created then there might be a permission problem with the directories shared via Samba and the webserver is not allowed to create a file there. However, sometimes the streaming does work so I'm not sure if that make sense. I've taken a class in perl but I don't know it well enough to tell if the m3u file is actually created somewhere or just sent directly to the user. I'd give out a user/pass to the site but that might be bordering on illegal because the music can be downloaded. If somone thinks they need access then I'll figure out a way to disable the downloading but allow the streaming so it can be tested. Thanks in advance.

      -tripp
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2004
        [CC'ing Lincoln]

        HHH3@... wrote:
        > Hello,
        > This is my first question to the mod_perl list so I hope I do it right.
        > I have recently ported Apache::MP3 to work with mod_perl 2 on an apache2
        > webserver. Everything works right (display, downloading, etc) except the

        I wonder how many people have ported this module to mp2 already :) Lincoln,
        any chance you can release the ported version into the wild?

        > streaming...sometimes. It seems that the first time a user logs on to
        > the site and clicks 'Stream' on any directory or file, it will work, but
        > any attempts after that it goes to a standard 404 playlist.m3u page not
        > found error. That's all there is in the Apache log as well. Sometimes it
        > won't stream at all and sometimes it will work more than once. Any ideas
        > as to why this would happen? One thought I had was that the shared files
        > are on a separate windows box and are shared via Samba. If the playlist
        > is actually temporarily created then there might be a permission problem
        > with the directories shared via Samba and the webserver is not allowed
        > to create a file there. However, sometimes the streaming does work so
        > I'm not sure if that make sense. I've taken a class in perl but I don't
        > know it well enough to tell if the m3u file is actually created
        > somewhere or just sent directly to the user. I'd give out a user/pass to
        > the site but that might be bordering on illegal because the music can be
        > downloaded. If somone thinks they need access then I'll figure out a way
        > to disable the downloading but allow the streaming so it can be tested.

        Most likely you want to ask Lincoln about Apache::MP3 issues.

        In the future please always try to contact the author of the module that you
        have a problem with, before emailing this list. Thank you.

      • Lincoln Stein
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2004
          My version of the port isn't quite working. Probably another couple
          of weekends to get all the bugs ironed out. I was really hoping to
          have the streaming video working fully, but maybe that'll wait for
          later.

          Lincoln

          --
          Lincoln D. Stein