Spurious characters due to Apache::Filter and Apache::Compress

  • Richard Chen
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1 5:46 PM
      Hi,

      We have seen a very disturbing problem when
      Apache::Filter and Apache::Compress are used for
      output compression. Most of the time, everything is fine.
      But occasionally we find that spurious binary characters
      are introduced in the output. For example, a source line like this:

      This is an En dash <literal binary character –> ok

      will be turned into this output line:

      This is an En dash <literal binary character Â><literal binary character –> ok

      Here by <literal binary character –> I mean the single ISO-8859-1
      character en-dash. Similarly for Â.

      What is interesting is that after modperl server
      restart, everything is fine for a while. It is only after the server
      has served a lot of requests that some of the child processes
      starts to introduce the spurious character. The only spurious
      character I have seen is this  right before other binary nonprintable
      ISO-8859-1 characters. It seems that there is some incomplete
      cleaning up after requests so that certain state info got changed
      in those modules which caused this problem. The problem is that
      I don't have a specific url to use to debug this.

      Once this compression is disabled, everything is fine
      no matter how long the server is up. So definitely the problem
      is caused by these modules.

      This happened on both solaris 8 and solaris 9 running
      perl 5.8.0. We are using Apache-Compress-1.003 and Apache-Filter-1.022.
      We use them like this:

      <Files ~ ".*\.tmpl">
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlSetVar Filter On
      PerlHandler My::Template Apache::Compress
      </Files>

      Has anyone seen this problem before? Is there a fix
      for this? Have these modules been used in production servers
      for different languages?

      Thanks for any info.

      Richard