Re: [mp2] mod_perl (current cvs) and multiple Apache2s make problems

  • Beau E. Cox
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
      On Thursday 01 April 2004 08:05 am, Stas Bekman wrote:
      > Beau E. Cox wrote:
      > > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
      > >>Beau E. Cox wrote:
      > >>[...]
      > >>
      > >>A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
      > >>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
      > >
      > > Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.
      > >
      > > Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
      > > it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.
      >
      > It shouldn't have changed anything, just suggesting an easy way to expand
      > macros. I wasn't talking about the first item of the abover URL, but the
      > second, which explains how to setup up your build so that you can
      > dynamically expand macros from within gdb. You don't need to expand them
      > manually in your code. That's the whole coolness of it.

      OK - I see it now. COOL.

      Aloha => Beau;

    • Beau E. Cox
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
        On Thursday 01 April 2004 09:38 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
        > > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
        > > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
        > >
        > > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.
        >
        > ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:
        >
        > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2
        >
        > so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
        > would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
        > that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
        > hope...

        Geoff, FYI -

        'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
        for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
        using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
        patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

        Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
        site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

        Aloha => Beau;

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
          > Geoff, FYI -
          >
          > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
          > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
          > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
          > patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

          cool.

          > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
          > site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

          yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
          issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
          officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
          run into problems.

        • Beau E. Cox
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
            On Friday 02 April 2004 03:18 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
            > > Geoff, FYI -
            > >
            > > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
            > > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
            > > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to
            > > be patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).
            >
            > cool.
            >
            > > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my
            > > production site to 2.1 and see how it goes.
            >
            > yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
            > issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
            > officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
            > run into problems.

            yikes, youself, indeed! ;)

            Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
            2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
            cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
            one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
            I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
            them elsewhere.

            At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
            any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

            Aloha => Beau;

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
              > Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
              > 2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
              > cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
              > one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
              > I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
              > them elsewhere.

              yes, that makes perfect sense. we just have different ideas of production
              then :)

              > At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
              > any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

              indeed. in fact, without people like you playing with the bleeding edge it
              will never become stable. so we appreciate your efforts here.