Re: [mp2] mod_perl (current cvs) and multiple Apache2s make problems

  • Beau E. Cox
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
      On Thursday 01 April 2004 09:38 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
      > > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
      > > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
      > >
      > > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.
      >
      > ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:
      >
      > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2
      >
      > so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
      > would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
      > that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
      > hope...

      Geoff -

      Re 'pulled' 2.1 from cvs HEAD (APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES was 0) and built server:

      mod_perl2 (cvs) tests:
      All tests successful.
      Files=14, Tests=75, 17 wallclock secs (11.22 cusr + 0.89 csys = 12.11 CPU)
      make[1]: Leaving directory
      `/home/test/httpd/2.1/src/modperl2/modperl-2.0/ModPerl-Registry'

      Many thanks.

      Aloha => Beau;

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
        On Thursday 01 April 2004 08:05 am, Stas Bekman wrote:
        > Beau E. Cox wrote:
        > > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
        > >>Beau E. Cox wrote:
        > >>[...]
        > >>
        > >>A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
        > >>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
        > >
        > > Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.
        > >
        > > Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
        > > it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.
        >
        > It shouldn't have changed anything, just suggesting an easy way to expand
        > macros. I wasn't talking about the first item of the abover URL, but the
        > second, which explains how to setup up your build so that you can
        > dynamically expand macros from within gdb. You don't need to expand them
        > manually in your code. That's the whole coolness of it.

        OK - I see it now. COOL.

        Aloha => Beau;

      • Beau E. Cox
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
          On Thursday 01 April 2004 09:38 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
          > > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
          > > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
          > >
          > > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.
          >
          > ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:
          >
          > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2
          >
          > so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
          > would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
          > that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
          > hope...

          Geoff, FYI -

          'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
          for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
          using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
          patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

          Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
          site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

          Aloha => Beau;

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
            > Geoff, FYI -
            >
            > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
            > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
            > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
            > patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

            cool.

            > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
            > site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

            yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
            issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
            officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
            run into problems.

          • Beau E. Cox
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
              On Friday 02 April 2004 03:18 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
              > > Geoff, FYI -
              > >
              > > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
              > > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
              > > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to
              > > be patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).
              >
              > cool.
              >
              > > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my
              > > production site to 2.1 and see how it goes.
              >
              > yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
              > issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
              > officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
              > run into problems.

              yikes, youself, indeed! ;)

              Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
              2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
              cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
              one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
              I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
              them elsewhere.

              At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
              any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

              Aloha => Beau;

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                > Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
                > 2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
                > cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
                > one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
                > I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
                > them elsewhere.

                yes, that makes perfect sense. we just have different ideas of production
                then :)

                > At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
                > any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

                indeed. in fact, without people like you playing with the bleeding edge it
                will never become stable. so we appreciate your efforts here.