Re: Connections

  • Frank Wiles
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
      On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 14:53:34 -0500
      "David Hofmann" <mor4321@...> wrote:

      > Currently I'm in the process of converting from Perl to Mod Perl.
      >
      > My server is Redhat Running Apache 1.3.27, Mod Perl 1.26, and Postgre
      > SQL 7.2.4.
      >
      > I have about 31-35 active process running during the busy hours.
      >
      > Our system use Perl to generate dynamic pages via the postgre
      > database. 90% of our pages are generated this way. We have 1 user ID
      > that all public web request use to access the database.
      >
      > On the back end I have several admin Perl scripts that we use to
      > update the database and make changes to item descriptions. There
      > currently 4 people that use it, and there soon to be 2 more. They each
      > spend 3-6 hours a day actually entering and changing data.
      >
      > Currently most of the public side has been converted to Mod Perl. I'm
      > debating on weather converting the Admin side is going to be good or
      > bad for the server cause it means persistent 2 connections and I'm not
      > sure how much load that will put on the server since the majority of
      > the time the server not using the admin connection.
      >
      > Hope this kind of makes sense. Mainly I'm looking for advice on the
      > situation.

      You might want to think about upgrading your PostgreSQL to 7.4.2
      as there have been several bug fixes and huge amounts of performance
      enhancements since the 7.2.4 series. There are RPMs on the PostgreSQL
      site and all that is required is a dump of the database prior to the
      upgrade and a restore after the update. I would imagine that any
      increased load by the admin interface would be nullified by the faster
      PostgreSQL.

      Another thing to think about is that while persistent connections
      sound like they are the way to go, I've actually turned them off on
      several high traffic mod_perl+postgresql applications with little to
      no effect. In fact, in certain circumstances it actually improved
      the overall performance of the UI.

      The time to bring up and tear down a PostgreSQL database connection
      is very small compared to other databases I've used which reduces
      the usefulness of persistent connections.

      Yet another option would be to not use persistent database connections
      on the admin portions of the site, but continue to use them on the
      front end.

    • Kinyon, Rob
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
        I'm a little confused - why would you use two apache processes for this?
        It sounds like one would do just fine ...

[...]

        David

        available.
        http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-us&page=hotmail/es2&ST=1/go/onm00200362
        ave/direct/01/

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 1, 2004
          On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 14:53, David Hofmann wrote:
          > Currently most of the public side has been converted to Mod Perl. I'm
          > debating on weather converting the Admin side is going to be good or bad for
          > the server cause it means persistent 2 connections and I'm not sure how much
          > load that will put on the server since the majority of the time the server
          > not using the admin connection.

          One thing you could do is just set the admin connections to not be
          persistent. See the Apache::DBI docs. (I *think* this is documented
          now. Check the list archive if not.)