Re: [mp2] mod_perl (current cvs) and multiple Apache2s make problems

    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
      Beau E. Cox wrote:
      > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
      >
      >>Beau E. Cox wrote:
      >>[...]
      >>

      >>>The module in question - mod_perl.c - line 614 is ' rcfg = '. I hand-
      >>>expanded the MP_dRCFG macro in the hope if getting more information,
      >>>but all that showed is, indeed, the routine was entered with a non-NULL
      >>>request_rec:
      >>
      >>A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
      >>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
      >>

      > Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.
      >
      > Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
      > it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.

      It shouldn't have changed anything, just suggesting an easy way to expand
      macros. I wasn't talking about the first item of the abover URL, but the
      second, which explains how to setup up your build so that you can dynamically
      expand macros from within gdb. You don't need to expand them manually in your
      code. That's the whole coolness of it.

      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
        > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
        > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
        >
        > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.

        ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:

        http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2

        so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
        would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
        that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
        hope...

      • Beau E. Cox
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
          On Thursday 01 April 2004 09:38 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
          > > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
          > > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
          > >
          > > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.
          >
          > ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:
          >
          > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2
          >
          > so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
          > would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
          > that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
          > hope...

          Geoff -

          Re 'pulled' 2.1 from cvs HEAD (APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES was 0) and built server:

          mod_perl2 (cvs) tests:
          All tests successful.
          Files=14, Tests=75, 17 wallclock secs (11.22 cusr + 0.89 csys = 12.11 CPU)
          make[1]: Leaving directory
          `/home/test/httpd/2.1/src/modperl2/modperl-2.0/ModPerl-Registry'

          Many thanks.

          Aloha => Beau;

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
            On Thursday 01 April 2004 08:05 am, Stas Bekman wrote:
            > Beau E. Cox wrote:
            > > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
            > >>Beau E. Cox wrote:
            > >>[...]
            > >>
            > >>A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
            > >>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
            > >
            > > Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.
            > >
            > > Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
            > > it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.
            >
            > It shouldn't have changed anything, just suggesting an easy way to expand
            > macros. I wasn't talking about the first item of the abover URL, but the
            > second, which explains how to setup up your build so that you can
            > dynamically expand macros from within gdb. You don't need to expand them
            > manually in your code. That's the whole coolness of it.

            OK - I see it now. COOL.

            Aloha => Beau;

          • Beau E. Cox
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
              On Thursday 01 April 2004 09:38 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
              > > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
              > > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
              > >
              > > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.
              >
              > ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:
              >
              > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2
              >
              > so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
              > would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
              > that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
              > hope...

              Geoff, FYI -

              'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
              for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
              using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
              patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

              Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
              site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

              Aloha => Beau;

              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                > Geoff, FYI -
                >
                > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
                > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
                > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
                > patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

                cool.

                > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
                > site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

                yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
                issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
                officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
                run into problems.

              • Beau E. Cox
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                  On Friday 02 April 2004 03:18 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                  > > Geoff, FYI -
                  > >
                  > > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
                  > > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
                  > > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to
                  > > be patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).
                  >
                  > cool.
                  >
                  > > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my
                  > > production site to 2.1 and see how it goes.
                  >
                  > yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
                  > issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
                  > officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
                  > run into problems.

                  yikes, youself, indeed! ;)

                  Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
                  2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
                  cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
                  one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
                  I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
                  them elsewhere.

                  At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
                  any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

                  Aloha => Beau;

                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                    > Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
                    > 2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
                    > cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
                    > one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
                    > I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
                    > them elsewhere.

                    yes, that makes perfect sense. we just have different ideas of production
                    then :)

                    > At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
                    > any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

                    indeed. in fact, without people like you playing with the bleeding edge it
                    will never become stable. so we appreciate your efforts here.