Re: [mp2] mod_perl (current cvs) and multiple Apache2s make problems

  • Beau E. Cox
    Message 1 of 24 , Apr 1 12:07 AM
      On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
      > Beau E. Cox wrote:
      > [...]
      >
      > > The module in question - mod_perl.c - line 614 is ' rcfg = '. I hand-
      > > expanded the MP_dRCFG macro in the hope if getting more information,
      > > but all that showed is, indeed, the routine was entered with a non-NULL
      > > request_rec:
      >
      > A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
      > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros

      Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.

      Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
      it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.

      Am I having fun now? :-]) ... you bet!

      Aloha => Beau;

      PS: Are you still awake?

    • Beau E. Cox
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1 12:13 AM
        On Wednesday 31 March 2004 02:49 pm, Geoffrey Young wrote:
        > > anway, I'm trying my best to track it down, as is philippe, but more eyes
        > > are always welcome. if you're looking for a place to start, I'd check
        > > out all the APR commits over the past two weeks - that is first on my
        > > list once I get a free moment.
        >
        > for those following along, it definitely seems to be something within httpd
        > in the past month. httpd/apr/apr-util HEAD checkouts with -D"2004-03-01"
        > test just fine against current mod_perl 2.0 cvs on fedora.

        Geoff -

        Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
        available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?

        If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.

        Aloha => Beau;

        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1 5:33 AM
          Beau E. Cox wrote:
          > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 02:49 pm, Geoffrey Young wrote:
          >
          >>>anway, I'm trying my best to track it down, as is philippe, but more eyes
          >>>are always welcome. if you're looking for a place to start, I'd check
          >>>out all the APR commits over the past two weeks - that is first on my
          >>>list once I get a free moment.
          >>
          >>for those following along, it definitely seems to be something within httpd
          >>in the past month. httpd/apr/apr-util HEAD checkouts with -D"2004-03-01"
          >>test just fine against current mod_perl 2.0 cvs on fedora.
          >>

          > Geoff -
          >
          > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
          > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
          >
          > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.

          last night I ran snapshots from every day in march - 3/26 was the last
          working day for me, the APR LFS stuff was committed on the 27th. I also
          checked out httpd HEAD with APR from 3/26 and it worked fine, so it's
          definitely an APR issue. the easiest way I know of to get old snapshots is:

          cvs -z9 -d":pserver:anoncvs@...:/home/cvspublic" checkout -d
          httpd-2.1 -D"2004-03-26" httpd-2.0
          cd httpd-2.1/srclib
          cvs -z9 -d":pserver:anoncvs@...:/home/cvspublic" checkout
          -D"2004-03-26" apr
          cvs -z9 -d":pserver:anoncvs@...:/home/cvspublic" checkout
          -D"2004-03-26" apr-util

          HTH

          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1 10:05 AM
            Beau E. Cox wrote:
            > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
            >
            >>Beau E. Cox wrote:
            >>[...]
            >>

            >>>The module in question - mod_perl.c - line 614 is ' rcfg = '. I hand-
            >>>expanded the MP_dRCFG macro in the hope if getting more information,
            >>>but all that showed is, indeed, the routine was entered with a non-NULL
            >>>request_rec:
            >>
            >>A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
            >>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
            >>

            > Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.
            >
            > Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
            > it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.

            It shouldn't have changed anything, just suggesting an easy way to expand
            macros. I wasn't talking about the first item of the abover URL, but the
            second, which explains how to setup up your build so that you can dynamically
            expand macros from within gdb. You don't need to expand them manually in your
            code. That's the whole coolness of it.

            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1 11:38 AM
              > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
              > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
              >
              > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.

              ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:

              http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2

              so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
              would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
              that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
              hope...

            • Beau E. Cox
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1 12:26 PM
                On Thursday 01 April 2004 09:38 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                > > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
                > > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
                > >
                > > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.
                >
                > ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:
                >
                > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2
                >
                > so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
                > would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
                > that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
                > hope...

                Geoff -

                Re 'pulled' 2.1 from cvs HEAD (APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES was 0) and built server:

                mod_perl2 (cvs) tests:
                All tests successful.
                Files=14, Tests=75, 17 wallclock secs (11.22 cusr + 0.89 csys = 12.11 CPU)
                make[1]: Leaving directory
                `/home/test/httpd/2.1/src/modperl2/modperl-2.0/ModPerl-Registry'

                Many thanks.

                Aloha => Beau;

                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1 12:28 PM
                  On Thursday 01 April 2004 08:05 am, Stas Bekman wrote:
                  > Beau E. Cox wrote:
                  > > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
                  > >>Beau E. Cox wrote:
                  > >>[...]
                  > >>
                  > >>A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
                  > >>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
                  > >
                  > > Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.
                  > >
                  > > Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
                  > > it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.
                  >
                  > It shouldn't have changed anything, just suggesting an easy way to expand
                  > macros. I wasn't talking about the first item of the abover URL, but the
                  > second, which explains how to setup up your build so that you can
                  > dynamically expand macros from within gdb. You don't need to expand them
                  > manually in your code. That's the whole coolness of it.

                  OK - I see it now. COOL.

                  Aloha => Beau;

                • Beau E. Cox
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 2 4:37 AM
                    On Thursday 01 April 2004 09:38 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                    > > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
                    > > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
                    > >
                    > > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.
                    >
                    > ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:
                    >
                    > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2
                    >
                    > so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
                    > would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
                    > that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
                    > hope...

                    Geoff, FYI -

                    'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
                    for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
                    using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
                    patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

                    Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
                    site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

                    Aloha => Beau;

                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2 5:18 AM
                      > Geoff, FYI -
                      >
                      > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
                      > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
                      > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
                      > patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

                      cool.

                      > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
                      > site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

                      yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
                      issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
                      officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
                      run into problems.

                    • Beau E. Cox
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2 5:36 AM
                        On Friday 02 April 2004 03:18 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                        > > Geoff, FYI -
                        > >
                        > > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
                        > > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
                        > > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to
                        > > be patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).
                        >
                        > cool.
                        >
                        > > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my
                        > > production site to 2.1 and see how it goes.
                        >
                        > yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
                        > issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
                        > officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
                        > run into problems.

                        yikes, youself, indeed! ;)

                        Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
                        2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
                        cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
                        one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
                        I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
                        them elsewhere.

                        At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
                        any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

                        Aloha => Beau;

                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2 7:04 AM
                          > Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
                          > 2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
                          > cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
                          > one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
                          > I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
                          > them elsewhere.

                          yes, that makes perfect sense. we just have different ideas of production
                          then :)

                          > At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
                          > any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

                          indeed. in fact, without people like you playing with the bleeding edge it
                          will never become stable. so we appreciate your efforts here.