Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [mp2] mod_perl (current cvs) and multiple Apache2s make problems

Expand Messages
  • Stas Bekman
    Beau E. Cox wrote: [...] ... A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you: http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 31, 2004
    • 0 Attachment
      Beau E. Cox wrote:
      [...]
      > The module in question - mod_perl.c - line 614 is ' rcfg = '. I hand-
      > expanded the MP_dRCFG macro in the hope if getting more information,
      > but all that showed is, indeed, the routine was entered with a non-NULL
      > request_rec:

      A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
      http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros


      __________________________________________________________________
      Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker
      http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org
      mailto:stas@... http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com
      http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com

      --
      Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
      Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
      List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
    • Beau E. Cox
      ... Thanks Stas - the ol preprocessor - good tip. Tried it, updated .c file with the official expansion (I did it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.
      Message 2 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
      • 0 Attachment
        On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
        > Beau E. Cox wrote:
        > [...]
        >
        > > The module in question - mod_perl.c - line 614 is ' rcfg = '. I hand-
        > > expanded the MP_dRCFG macro in the hope if getting more information,
        > > but all that showed is, indeed, the routine was entered with a non-NULL
        > > request_rec:
        >
        > A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
        > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
        >

        Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.

        Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
        it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.

        Am I having fun now? :-]) ... you bet!

        Aloha => Beau;

        PS: Are you still awake?


        --
        Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
        Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
        List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
      • Beau E. Cox
        ... Geoff - Just wondering, is the older ( -D 2004-03-01 ) Apache2.1 still available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )? If I could test against it,
        Message 3 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
        • 0 Attachment
          On Wednesday 31 March 2004 02:49 pm, Geoffrey Young wrote:
          > > anway, I'm trying my best to track it down, as is philippe, but more eyes
          > > are always welcome. if you're looking for a place to start, I'd check
          > > out all the APR commits over the past two weeks - that is first on my
          > > list once I get a free moment.
          >
          > for those following along, it definitely seems to be something within httpd
          > in the past month. httpd/apr/apr-util HEAD checkouts with -D"2004-03-01"
          > test just fine against current mod_perl 2.0 cvs on fedora.
          >

          Geoff -

          Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
          available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?

          If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.

          Aloha => Beau;


          --
          Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
          Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
          List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
        • Geoffrey Young
          ... last night I ran snapshots from every day in march - 3/26 was the last working day for me, the APR LFS stuff was committed on the 27th. I also checked out
          Message 4 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
          • 0 Attachment
            Beau E. Cox wrote:
            > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 02:49 pm, Geoffrey Young wrote:
            >
            >>>anway, I'm trying my best to track it down, as is philippe, but more eyes
            >>>are always welcome. if you're looking for a place to start, I'd check
            >>>out all the APR commits over the past two weeks - that is first on my
            >>>list once I get a free moment.
            >>
            >>for those following along, it definitely seems to be something within httpd
            >>in the past month. httpd/apr/apr-util HEAD checkouts with -D"2004-03-01"
            >>test just fine against current mod_perl 2.0 cvs on fedora.
            >>
            >
            >
            > Geoff -
            >
            > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
            > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
            >
            > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.

            last night I ran snapshots from every day in march - 3/26 was the last
            working day for me, the APR LFS stuff was committed on the 27th. I also
            checked out httpd HEAD with APR from 3/26 and it worked fine, so it's
            definitely an APR issue. the easiest way I know of to get old snapshots is:

            cvs -z9 -d":pserver:anoncvs@...:/home/cvspublic" checkout -d
            httpd-2.1 -D"2004-03-26" httpd-2.0
            cd httpd-2.1/srclib
            cvs -z9 -d":pserver:anoncvs@...:/home/cvspublic" checkout
            -D"2004-03-26" apr
            cvs -z9 -d":pserver:anoncvs@...:/home/cvspublic" checkout
            -D"2004-03-26" apr-util

            HTH

            --Geoff


            --
            Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
            Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
            List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
          • Stas Bekman
            ... It shouldn t have changed anything, just suggesting an easy way to expand macros. I wasn t talking about the first item of the abover URL, but the second,
            Message 5 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
            • 0 Attachment
              Beau E. Cox wrote:
              > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
              >
              >>Beau E. Cox wrote:
              >>[...]
              >>
              >>
              >>>The module in question - mod_perl.c - line 614 is ' rcfg = '. I hand-
              >>>expanded the MP_dRCFG macro in the hope if getting more information,
              >>>but all that showed is, indeed, the routine was entered with a non-NULL
              >>>request_rec:
              >>
              >>A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
              >>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
              >>
              >
              >
              > Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.
              >
              > Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
              > it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.

              It shouldn't have changed anything, just suggesting an easy way to expand
              macros. I wasn't talking about the first item of the abover URL, but the
              second, which explains how to setup up your build so that you can dynamically
              expand macros from within gdb. You don't need to expand them manually in your
              code. That's the whole coolness of it.

              __________________________________________________________________
              Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker
              http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org
              mailto:stas@... http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com
              http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com

              --
              Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
              Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
              List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
            • Geoffrey Young
              ... ok, it looks as though it s an fixable APR problem: http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2 so, the steps to follow are
              Message 6 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
              • 0 Attachment
                > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
                > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
                >
                > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.

                ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:

                http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2

                so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
                would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
                that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
                hope...

                --Geoff

                --
                Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
                Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
                List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
              • Beau E. Cox
                ... Geoff - Re pulled 2.1 from cvs HEAD (APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES was 0) and built server: mod_perl2 (cvs) tests: ... All tests successful. Files=14, Tests=75,
                Message 7 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Thursday 01 April 2004 09:38 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                  > > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
                  > > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
                  > >
                  > > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.
                  >
                  > ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:
                  >
                  > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2
                  >
                  > so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
                  > would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
                  > that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
                  > hope...
                  >
                  Geoff -

                  Re 'pulled' 2.1 from cvs HEAD (APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES was 0) and built server:

                  mod_perl2 (cvs) tests:
                  ...
                  All tests successful.
                  Files=14, Tests=75, 17 wallclock secs (11.22 cusr + 0.89 csys = 12.11 CPU)
                  make[1]: Leaving directory
                  `/home/test/httpd/2.1/src/modperl2/modperl-2.0/ModPerl-Registry'

                  Many thanks.

                  Aloha => Beau;


                  --
                  Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
                  Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
                  List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
                • Beau E. Cox
                  ... OK - I see it now. COOL. Aloha = Beau; -- Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/ Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html List
                  Message 8 of 24 , Apr 1, 2004
                  • 0 Attachment
                    On Thursday 01 April 2004 08:05 am, Stas Bekman wrote:
                    > Beau E. Cox wrote:
                    > > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
                    > >>Beau E. Cox wrote:
                    > >>[...]
                    > >>
                    > >>>The module in question - mod_perl.c - line 614 is ' rcfg = '. I hand-
                    > >>>expanded the MP_dRCFG macro in the hope if getting more information,
                    > >>>but all that showed is, indeed, the routine was entered with a non-NULL
                    > >>>request_rec:
                    > >>
                    > >>A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
                    > >>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
                    > >
                    > > Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.
                    > >
                    > > Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
                    > > it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.
                    >
                    > It shouldn't have changed anything, just suggesting an easy way to expand
                    > macros. I wasn't talking about the first item of the abover URL, but the
                    > second, which explains how to setup up your build so that you can
                    > dynamically expand macros from within gdb. You don't need to expand them
                    > manually in your code. That's the whole coolness of it.

                    OK - I see it now. COOL.

                    Aloha => Beau;


                    --
                    Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
                    Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
                    List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
                  • Beau E. Cox
                    ... Geoff, FYI - Patching the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted.
                    Message 9 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                    • 0 Attachment
                      On Thursday 01 April 2004 09:38 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                      > > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
                      > > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
                      > >
                      > > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.
                      >
                      > ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:
                      >
                      > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2
                      >
                      > so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
                      > would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
                      > that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
                      > hope...
                      >

                      Geoff, FYI -

                      'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
                      for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
                      using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
                      patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

                      Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
                      site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

                      Aloha => Beau;


                      --
                      Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
                      Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
                      List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
                    • Geoffrey Young
                      ... cool. ... yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
                      Message 10 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                      • 0 Attachment
                        > Geoff, FYI -
                        >
                        > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
                        > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
                        > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
                        > patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

                        cool.

                        >
                        > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
                        > site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

                        yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
                        issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
                        officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
                        run into problems.

                        --Geoff

                        --
                        Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
                        Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
                        List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
                      • Beau E. Cox
                        ... yikes, youself, indeed! ;) Not to worry. I won t come crying when it dies - I ll just flip back to 2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and
                        Message 11 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                        • 0 Attachment
                          On Friday 02 April 2004 03:18 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                          > > Geoff, FYI -
                          > >
                          > > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
                          > > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
                          > > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to
                          > > be patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).
                          >
                          > cool.
                          >
                          > > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my
                          > > production site to 2.1 and see how it goes.
                          >
                          > yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
                          > issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
                          > officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
                          > run into problems.

                          yikes, youself, indeed! ;)

                          Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
                          2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
                          cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
                          one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
                          I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
                          them elsewhere.

                          At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
                          any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

                          Aloha => Beau;



                          --
                          Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
                          Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
                          List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
                        • Geoffrey Young
                          ... yes, that makes perfect sense. we just have different ideas of production then :) ... indeed. in fact, without people like you playing with the bleeding
                          Message 12 of 24 , Apr 2, 2004
                          • 0 Attachment
                            > Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
                            > 2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
                            > cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
                            > one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
                            > I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
                            > them elsewhere.

                            yes, that makes perfect sense. we just have different ideas of production
                            then :)

                            >
                            > At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
                            > any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

                            indeed. in fact, without people like you playing with the bleeding edge it
                            will never become stable. so we appreciate your efforts here.

                            --Geoff

                            --
                            Report problems: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/
                            Mail list info: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html
                            List etiquette: http://perl.apache.org/maillist/email-etiquette.html
                          Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.