[mp2] mod_perl (current cvs) and multiple Apache2s make problems

  • Beau E. Cox
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 30, 2004
      Hi -

      I have 2 Apache2s on my test server:

      Apache 2.0.50-dev(cvs) installed in /home/test/usr/apache2

      and:

      Apache 2.1 (cvs) installed in /home/test/usr/apache2.1

      When generating mod perl with:

      perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/home/test/use/apache2.1/sbin/apxs

      the test httpd.conf file is generated based upon Apache2.0, i.e.:
      looking at /home/test/usr/apache2.

      I use this layout for Apache2.1:

      # my test layout - Apache 2.1
      <Layout MyTest-2.1>
      prefix: /home/test/usr/apache2.1
      exec_prefix: ${prefix}
      bindir: ${prefix}/bin
      sbindir: ${prefix}/sbin
      libdir: ${prefix}/lib
      libexecdir: ${prefix}/lib/apache
      mandir: ${prefix}/share/man
      sysconfdir: /home/test/httpd/conf
      datadir: /home/test/httpd
      installbuilddir: ${datadir}/build
      errordir: ${datadir}/error
      iconsdir: ${datadir}/icons
      htdocsdir: ${datadir}/htdocs
      manualdir: ${datadir}/manual2.1
      cgidir: ${datadir}/cgi-bin
      includedir: ${prefix}/include
      localstatedir: /home/test/var/lib/httpd
      runtimedir: /home/test/var/run
      logfiledir: /home/test/var/log/httpd
      proxycachedir: /home/test/var/cache/httpd
      </Layout>

      How do I control how t/config/httpd.conf is setup?

      Aloha => Beau;

      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 30, 2004
        Beau E. Cox wrote:
        > Hi -
        >
        > I have 2 Apache2s on my test server:
        >
        > Apache 2.0.50-dev(cvs) installed in /home/test/usr/apache2
        >
        > and:
        >
        > Apache 2.1 (cvs) installed in /home/test/usr/apache2.1

        Apache 2.1 is not officially supported at the moment. If you want to play with
        it you are on your own, Beau. Geoff might be interested, but I know he is very
        busy at the moment.

        > How do I control how t/config/httpd.conf is setup?

        What seems to be the problem?

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 30, 2004
          Beau E. Cox wrote:
          > Hi -
          >
          > I have 2 Apache2s on my test server:
          >
          > Apache 2.0.50-dev(cvs) installed in /home/test/usr/apache2
          >
          > and:
          >
          > Apache 2.1 (cvs) installed in /home/test/usr/apache2.1
          >
          > When generating mod perl with:
          >
          > perl Makefile.PL MP_APXS=/home/test/use/apache2.1/sbin/apxs
          >
          > the test httpd.conf file is generated based upon Apache2.0, i.e.:
          > looking at /home/test/usr/apache2.

          > How do I control how t/config/httpd.conf is setup?

          I run both 2.0 and 2.1 on my test box. as long as you 'make realclean'
          between mod_perl builds you shouldn't run into problems. if you do run into
          issues, try adjusting these lines to suit your build environment (which are
          part of my nightly build script at the moment but might not be needed any more).

          $ find /perl/ -name TestConfigData.pm -exec sudo rm -f {} \;
          $ find /src/mod_perl-2.0 -name TestConfigData.pm -exec rm -f {} \;
          $ rm -rf /home/geoff/.apache-test

          HTH

        • Beau E. Cox
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 30, 2004
            On Tuesday 30 March 2004 05:32 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
            > Beau E. Cox wrote:
            > > Hi -
            > >
            > > I have 2 Apache2s on my test server:
            > >
            > > Apache 2.0.50-dev(cvs) installed in /home/test/usr/apache2
            > >
            > > and:
            > >
            > > Apache 2.1 (cvs) installed in /home/test/usr/apache2.1
            >
            > Apache 2.1 is not officially supported at the moment. If you want to play
            > with it you are on your own, Beau. Geoff might be interested, but I know he
            > is very busy at the moment.

            OK - I'll try not to pester you and Geoff.

            > > How do I control how t/config/httpd.conf is setup?
            >
            > What seems to be the problem?

            Well, the t/config/httpd.conf generated somewhere in the mod_perl build -
            I couldn't find it on first glance - is based on the
            Apache 2.0 configuration, NOT the Apache 2.1 configuration. I am
            looking for a parameter (or patch) to Makefile.PL to force the
            generation from the Apache 2.1 httpd.conf.

            Aloha => Beau;

            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 30, 2004
              Beau E. Cox wrote:

              >> > How do I control how t/config/httpd.conf is setup?
              >>
              >>What seems to be the problem?
              >

              > Well, the t/config/httpd.conf generated somewhere in the mod_perl build -
              > I couldn't find it on first glance - is based on the
              > Apache 2.0 configuration, NOT the Apache 2.1 configuration. I am
              > looking for a parameter (or patch) to Makefile.PL to force the
              > generation from the Apache 2.1 httpd.conf.

              That's only an issue if you are using a 3rd party module with Apache-Test and
              previously run tests with a different server. As Geoff has mentioned those
              configurations are sticky and saved, so in a typical user case you never need
              to type them more than once (actually you never need to type them at all if
              you installed Apache-Test when installing mod_perl 2.0.

              In the case you are switching server, you need to tell Apache-Test what are
              the new parameters, e.g.:

              APACHE_TEST_HTTPD=/PATH/TO/HTTPD make test

              or

              t/TEST -httpd=/path/to/httpd

              etc. please refer to the documentation for more options.

            • Beau E. Cox
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 31, 2004
                On Tuesday 30 March 2004 08:24 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:

                > >>What seems to be the problem?
                > >
                > > Well, the t/config/httpd.conf generated somewhere in the mod_perl build -
                > > I couldn't find it on first glance - is based on the
                > > Apache 2.0 configuration, NOT the Apache 2.1 configuration. I am
                > > looking for a parameter (or patch) to Makefile.PL to force the
                > > generation from the Apache 2.1 httpd.conf.
                >
                > That's only an issue if you are using a 3rd party module with Apache-Test
                > and previously run tests with a different server. As Geoff has mentioned
                > those configurations are sticky and saved, so in a typical user case you
                > never need to type them more than once (actually you never need to type
                > them at all if you installed Apache-Test when installing mod_perl 2.0.
                >
                > In the case you are switching server, you need to tell Apache-Test what are
                > the new parameters, e.g.:
                >
                > APACHE_TEST_HTTPD=/PATH/TO/HTTPD make test
                >
                > or
                >
                > t/TEST -httpd=/path/to/httpd
                >
                > etc. please refer to the documentation for more options.

                OK, I used option 1 above, however, it seems that the test suite
                _insists_ on testing auth using mod_auth_digest.c (which is not ready
                yet in 2.1). The generated http.conf file does this:

                <IfModule !mod_auth_digest.c>
                LoadModule auth_digest_module "/usr/apache2/lib/apache/mod_auth_digest.so"
                </IfModule>

                which brings in a copy of mod_auth_digest.so from another test 2.0 server
                and the 2.1 server will not start:

                httpd: module "mod_auth_digest.c" is not compatible with this version of
                Apache (found 20020903, need 20030821).
                Please contact the vendor for the correct version.
                [ error]

                OK. So I'll skip the test suite for now and continue on - unless there is
                a way to tell it not to test 'auth'.

                Aloha => Beau;

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 31, 2004
                  >>APACHE_TEST_HTTPD=/PATH/TO/HTTPD make test
                  >>
                  >>or
                  >>
                  >>t/TEST -httpd=/path/to/httpd
                  >>
                  >>etc. please refer to the documentation for more options.
                  >

                  > OK, I used option 1 above, however, it seems that the test suite
                  > _insists_ on testing auth using mod_auth_digest.c (which is not ready
                  > yet in 2.1).

                  for the record that's not true: mod_auth_digest works just fine in both 2.0
                  and 2.1. the problem you're having (below) is that the 2.0 and 2.1 versions
                  of mod_auth_digest are incompatable due to a change in the authentication
                  mechanism in apache core.

                  > The generated http.conf file does this:

                  > <IfModule !mod_auth_digest.c>
                  > LoadModule auth_digest_module "/usr/apache2/lib/apache/mod_auth_digest.so"
                  > </IfModule>
                  >
                  > which brings in a copy of mod_auth_digest.so from another test 2.0 server
                  > and the 2.1 server will not start:

                  yes, that's a problem, similar to ones I've seen before. please try the
                  suggestions I made before: start with 'make realclean', remove all traces
                  of TestConfigData.pm from both your installed perl tree as well as your
                  local Apache-Test tree. also, try removing Apache/BuildConfig.pm from both
                  places as well, just in case - I generally start my nightly build scripts with

                  find /perl/ -name "Apache*" -exec sudo rm -rf {} \;

                  as I also said, I haven't had any problems running or testing both 2.0 and
                  2.1, but there is some config bleeding that has been present as long as I
                  can remember but that has been thus far elusive.

                  HTH

                • Beau E. Cox
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 31, 2004
                    On Wednesday 31 March 2004 08:57 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                    > >>APACHE_TEST_HTTPD=/PATH/TO/HTTPD make test
                    > >>
                    > >>or
                    > >>
                    > >>t/TEST -httpd=/path/to/httpd
                    > >>
                    > >>etc. please refer to the documentation for more options.
                    > >
                    > > OK, I used option 1 above, however, it seems that the test suite
                    > > _insists_ on testing auth using mod_auth_digest.c (which is not ready
                    > > yet in 2.1).
                    >
                    > for the record that's not true: mod_auth_digest works just fine in both 2.0
                    > and 2.1. the problem you're having (below) is that the 2.0 and 2.1
                    > versions of mod_auth_digest are incompatable due to a change in the
                    > authentication mechanism in apache core.

                    I stand corrected. mod_auth_digest is alive and well in 2.1. I
                    thought is was not because the mod_perl test was kicking in with
                    another version.

                    > > The generated http.conf file does this:

                    > > <IfModule !mod_auth_digest.c>
                    > > LoadModule auth_digest_module
                    > > "/usr/apache2/lib/apache/mod_auth_digest.so" </IfModule>
                    > >
                    > > which brings in a copy of mod_auth_digest.so from another test 2.0 server
                    > > and the 2.1 server will not start:
                    >
                    > yes, that's a problem, similar to ones I've seen before. please try the
                    > suggestions I made before: start with 'make realclean', remove all traces
                    > of TestConfigData.pm from both your installed perl tree as well as your
                    > local Apache-Test tree. also, try removing Apache/BuildConfig.pm from both
                    > places as well, just in case - I generally start my nightly build scripts
                    > with
                    >
                    > find /perl/ -name "Apache*" -exec sudo rm -rf {} \;
                    >
                    > as I also said, I haven't had any problems running or testing both 2.0 and
                    > 2.1, but there is some config bleeding that has been present as long as I
                    > can remember but that has been thus far elusive.

                    Geoff - I came up with a scheme that doesn't require such extreme
                    measures. I install all my perl modules by server - not in the perl
                    path - as:

                    /home/test/apache2.0
                    /home/test/apache2.0/lib - .a and .so libraries
                    /home/test/apache2.0/lib/apache - .so apache mods
                    /home/test/apache2.0/perl_mods/lib - .pm perl
                    /home/test/apache2.0/perl_mods/auto - .so etc. perl arch/auto

                    and likewise for apache2.1

                    In my http.conf (via a startup script), I do a:

                    use lib ("/home/test/apache2.0/perl_mods/lib",
                    "/home/test/apache2.0/perl_mods/auto");

                    and everybody is happy.

                    NOW, I am testing mod_perl2 (cvs) with Apache2.1 - and -
                    seg faults _everywhere_. Has anyone tried it yet (I know it is not
                    supported yet, but I am just wondering)?

                    I've got core dumps, and will plow into them tonight.

                    Aloha => Beau;

                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 31, 2004
                      > I stand corrected. mod_auth_digest is alive and well in 2.1. I
                      > thought is was not because the mod_perl test was kicking in with
                      > another version.

                      :)

                      > NOW, I am testing mod_perl2 (cvs) with Apache2.1 - and -
                      > seg faults _everywhere_. Has anyone tried it yet (I know it is not
                      > supported yet, but I am just wondering)?

                      what OS are you using? I had no problems at all with RH9 for months, both
                      with prefork and worker - I had to commit a minor change to mod_perl core
                      here or there, but it was passing all tests just fine.

                      then last week I started noticing core dumps, but it coincided with a dying
                      hard drive so I didn't get to chase it down. now I've installed fedora core
                      1 on a reformatted drive and am seeing core dumps everywhere.

                      I've tried LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.19 and all the non-pthread AcceptMutex
                      variants and can't get it to work, but it seems to be related to the poll
                      stuff in APR 1.0. at this point I don't know if it's a fedora NPTL issue or
                      something that also affected RH9.0.

                      anway, I'm trying my best to track it down, as is philippe, but more eyes
                      are always welcome. if you're looking for a place to start, I'd check out
                      all the APR commits over the past two weeks - that is first on my list once
                      I get a free moment.

                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 31, 2004
                        > anway, I'm trying my best to track it down, as is philippe, but more eyes
                        > are always welcome. if you're looking for a place to start, I'd check out
                        > all the APR commits over the past two weeks - that is first on my list once
                        > I get a free moment.

                        for those following along, it definitely seems to be something within httpd
                        in the past month. httpd/apr/apr-util HEAD checkouts with -D"2004-03-01"
                        test just fine against current mod_perl 2.0 cvs on fedora.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 31, 2004
                          Geoffrey Young wrote:
                          >>anway, I'm trying my best to track it down, as is philippe, but more eyes
                          >>are always welcome. if you're looking for a place to start, I'd check out
                          >>all the APR commits over the past two weeks - that is first on my list once
                          >>I get a free moment.
                          >

                          > for those following along, it definitely seems to be something within httpd
                          > in the past month. httpd/apr/apr-util HEAD checkouts with -D"2004-03-01"
                          > test just fine against current mod_perl 2.0 cvs on fedora.

                          compiling Apache with --disable-lfs seemed to fix the problems. please give
                          it a whirl and report back.

                        • Beau E. Cox
                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 31, 2004
                            On Wednesday 31 March 2004 07:11 pm, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                            > Geoffrey Young wrote:
                            > >>anway, I'm trying my best to track it down, as is philippe, but more eyes
                            > >>are always welcome. if you're looking for a place to start, I'd check
                            > >> out all the APR commits over the past two weeks - that is first on my
                            > >> list once I get a free moment.
                            > >
                            > > for those following along, it definitely seems to be something within
                            > > httpd in the past month. httpd/apr/apr-util HEAD checkouts with
                            > > -D"2004-03-01" test just fine against current mod_perl 2.0 cvs on fedora.
                            >
                            > compiling Apache with --disable-lfs seemed to fix the problems. please
                            > give it a whirl and report back.

                            Geoff -

                            My project is not priority, and I don't want you to get sidetracked
                            from your real work, so I hope my problems are some sort of dumb-dumb
                            configuration/etc. mistake on my part. I'm happy to to the grunt
                            work on this, if maybe you can throw me some tips as you have already.

                            So anyway,

                            Here is the console log of my mod_perl
                            'make test TEST_VERBOSE=1 TEST_FILES=t/apache/add_config.t'
                            (I just did the one test, all tests seg fault upon receiving their
                            first request):

                            t/apache/add_config....request has failed (the response code was: 500)
                            see t/logs/error_log for more details
                            dubious
                            Test returned status 104 (wstat 26624, 0x6800)
                            [warning] server localhost:8529 shutdown
                            [ error] error running tests (please examine t/logs/error_log)
                            [ error] oh dangnabit, server dumped core
                            [ error] for stacktrace, run: gdb /home/test/usr/apache2.1/sbin/httpd
                            -core /home/test/httpd/2.1/src/modperl2/modperl-2.0/t/core
                            | Please file a bug report: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/ |
                            make: *** [run_tests] Error 1

                            The error_log is similar:

                            [Wed Mar 31 21:01:08 2004] [notice] Apache/2.1.0-dev (Unix)
                            mod_perl/1.99_14-dev Perl/v5.8.3 mod_ssl/2.1.0-dev OpenSSL/0.9.7d DAV/2
                            configured -- resuming normal operations
                            [Wed Mar 31 21:01:08 2004] [info] Server built: Mar 31 2004 20:12:16
                            [Wed Mar 31 21:01:08 2004] [debug] prefork.c(973): AcceptMutex: sysvsem
                            (default: sysvsem)
                            [Wed Mar 31 21:01:09 2004] [notice] child pid 24632 exit signal Segmentation
                            fault (11), possible coredump
                            in /home/test/httpd/2.1/src/modperl2/modperl-2.0/t
                            [Wed Mar 31 21:01:10 2004] [info] Child process pid=24637 is exiting
                            [Wed Mar 31 21:01:10 2004] [info] removed PID
                            file /home/test/httpd/2.1/src/modperl2/modperl-2.0/t/logs/httpd.pid
                            (pid=24629)
                            [Wed Mar 31 21:01:10 2004] [notice] caught SIGTERM, shutting down
                            END in modperl_extra.pl, pid=24629

                            Here is the bt of the core dump; the MP_dRCFG macro expands as:

                            #0 0x404b4036 in modperl_hook_create_request (r=0x92d9e48) at mod_perl.c:614
                            614 rcfg =
                            (gdb) bt
                            #0 0x404b4036 in modperl_hook_create_request (r=0x92d9e48) at mod_perl.c:614
                            #1 0x080ba065 in ap_run_create_request ()

                            The module in question - mod_perl.c - line 614 is ' rcfg = '. I hand-
                            expanded the MP_dRCFG macro in the hope if getting more information,
                            but all that showed is, indeed, the routine was entered with a non-NULL
                            request_rec:

                            static int modperl_hook_create_request(request_rec *r)
                            {
                            // MP_dRCFG;
                            modperl_config_req_t *rcfg = NULL;
                            if (r)
                            rcfg =
                            #if defined(MP_IN_XS) && defined(WIN32)
                            modperl_get_perl_module_config(r->request_config)
                            #else
                            ap_get_module_config(r->request_config, &perl_module)
                            #endif
                            ;

                            modperl_config_req_init(r, rcfg);

                            So we die calling 'ap_get_module_config...

                            Now my configuration:

                            Here is how I downloaded and made Apache2.1 (note --disable-lfs):

                            pserver="-d :pserver:anoncvs"
                            location="cvs.apache.org:/home/cvspublic"
                            CVSROOT=$pserver@$location

                            cd $BASE_DIR
                            cvs $pserver:anoncvs@$location login &&
                            cvs $CVSROOT checkout -d httpd-2.1 httpd-2.0 &&
                            cd $BASE_DIR/$SOURCE_DIR/srclib &&
                            cvs $CVSROOT checkout apr apr-util &&
                            cvs $CVSROOT logout

                            ./buildconf

                            ./configure \
                            --enable-layout=MyTest \
                            --enable-auth_digest=shared \
                            --enable-cgid=shared \
                            --enable-cgi=shared \
                            --enable-dav=shared \
                            --enable-dav_fs=shared \
                            --enable-deflate=shared \
                            --enable-rewrite=shared \
                            --enable-so \
                            --enable-speling=shared \
                            --enable-ssl \
                            --with-ssl=/usr/ \
                            --with-prefork \
                            --without-exestrip \
                            --disable-lfs

                            make EXTRA_CFLAGS="-g"

                            mod_perl configuration:

                            *** mod_perl version 1.9914

                            *** using lib/Apache/BuildConfig.pm
                            *** Makefile.PL options:
                            MP_APXS => /home/test/usr/apache2.1/sbin/apxs
                            MP_COMPAT_1X => 1
                            MP_GENERATE_XS => 1
                            MP_LIBNAME => mod_perl
                            MP_USE_DSO => 1
                            MP_USE_STATIC => 1

                            Apache configuration:

                            *** /home/test/usr/apache2.1/sbin/httpd -V
                            Server version: Apache/2.1.0-dev
                            Server built: Mar 31 2004 20:12:16
                            Server's Module Magic Number: 20030821:3
                            Architecture: 32-bit
                            Server MPM: Prefork
                            threaded: no
                            forked: yes (variable process count)
                            Server compiled with....
                            -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
                            -D APR_HAS_MMAP
                            -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
                            -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
                            -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
                            -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
                            -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
                            -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
                            -D HTTPD_ROOT="/home/test/usr/apache2.1"
                            -D SUEXEC_BIN="/home/test/usr/apache2.1/bin/suexec"
                            -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="/home/test/var/run/httpd.pid"
                            -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
                            -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="/home/test/var/run/accept.lock"
                            -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
                            -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="/home/test/httpd/2.1/conf/mime.types"
                            -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="/home/test/httpd/2.1/conf/httpd.conf"

                            Perl, kernel, compiler:

                            *** /home/test/perl/5.8.3-ithread/bin/perl -V
                            Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 3) configuration:
                            Platform:
                            osname=linux, osvers=2.6.5-rc2, archname=i686-linux-thread-multi
                            uname='linux cathy.beaucox.com 2.6.5-rc2 #1 sat mar 20 21:48:51 hst 2004
                            i686 unknown unknown gnulinux '
                            config_args='-Dprefix=/home/test/perl/5.8.3-ithread -d -e -Dusethreads
                            -Duseshrplib -Doptimize=-g'
                            usethreads=define use5005threads=undef useithreads=define
                            usemultiplicity=define
                            useperlio=define d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
                            use64bitint=undef use64bitall=undef uselongdouble=undef
                            usemymalloc=n, bincompat5005=undef
                            Compiler:
                            cc='cc', ccflags ='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS
                            -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
                            -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64',
                            optimize='-g',
                            cppflags='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBUGGING
                            -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include'
                            ccversion='', gccversion='3.3.3', gccosandvers=''
                            intsize=4, longsize=4, ptrsize=4, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
                            d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
                            ivtype='long', ivsize=4, nvtype='double', nvsize=8, Off_t='off_t',
                            lseeksize=8
                            alignbytes=4, prototype=define
                            Linker and Libraries:
                            ld='cc', ldflags =' -L/usr/local/lib'
                            libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib
                            libs=-lnsl -ldb -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lpthread -lc
                            perllibs=-lnsl -ldl -lm -lcrypt -lutil -lpthread -lc
                            libc=/lib/libc-2.3.2.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libperl.so
                            gnulibc_version='2.3.2'
                            Dynamic Linking:
                            dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so, d_dlsymun=undef, ccdlflags='-rdynamic
                            -Wl,-rpath,/home/test/perl/5.8.3-ithread/lib/5.8.3/i686-linux-thread-multi/CORE'
                            cccdlflags='-fpic', lddlflags='-shared -L/usr/local/lib'

                            Compile-time options: DEBUGGING MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS USE_LARGE_FILES
                            PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
                            Built under linux
                            Compiled at Mar 31 2004 13:29:53
                            %ENV:
                            PERL_LWP_USE_HTTP_10="1"
                            @INC:
                            /home/test/perl/5.8.3-ithread/lib/5.8.3/i686-linux-thread-multi
                            /home/test/perl/5.8.3-ithread/lib/5.8.3
                            /home/test/perl/5.8.3-ithread/lib/site_perl/5.8.3/i686-linux-thread-multi
                            /home/test/perl/5.8.3-ithread/lib/site_perl/5.8.3
                            /home/test/perl/5.8.3-ithread/lib/site_perl
                            .

                            *** Packages of interest status:

                            Apache::Request: 2.03-dev
                            CGI : 3.01
                            LWP : 5.76
                            mod_perl : 1.9914

                            Aloha => Beau;

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 31, 2004
                              Beau E. Cox wrote:
                              [...]
                              > The module in question - mod_perl.c - line 614 is ' rcfg = '. I hand-
                              > expanded the MP_dRCFG macro in the hope if getting more information,
                              > but all that showed is, indeed, the routine was entered with a non-NULL
                              > request_rec:

                              A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
                              http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros

                            • Beau E. Cox
                              Message 14 of 24 , Apr 1 12:07 AM
                                On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
                                > Beau E. Cox wrote:
                                > [...]
                                >
                                > > The module in question - mod_perl.c - line 614 is ' rcfg = '. I hand-
                                > > expanded the MP_dRCFG macro in the hope if getting more information,
                                > > but all that showed is, indeed, the routine was entered with a non-NULL
                                > > request_rec:
                                >
                                > A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
                                > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros

                                Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.

                                Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
                                it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.

                                Am I having fun now? :-]) ... you bet!

                                Aloha => Beau;

                                PS: Are you still awake?

                              • Beau E. Cox
                                Message 15 of 24 , Apr 1 12:13 AM
                                  On Wednesday 31 March 2004 02:49 pm, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                                  > > anway, I'm trying my best to track it down, as is philippe, but more eyes
                                  > > are always welcome. if you're looking for a place to start, I'd check
                                  > > out all the APR commits over the past two weeks - that is first on my
                                  > > list once I get a free moment.
                                  >
                                  > for those following along, it definitely seems to be something within httpd
                                  > in the past month. httpd/apr/apr-util HEAD checkouts with -D"2004-03-01"
                                  > test just fine against current mod_perl 2.0 cvs on fedora.

                                  Geoff -

                                  Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
                                  available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?

                                  If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.

                                  Aloha => Beau;

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Apr 1 5:33 AM
                                    Beau E. Cox wrote:
                                    > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 02:49 pm, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                                    >
                                    >>>anway, I'm trying my best to track it down, as is philippe, but more eyes
                                    >>>are always welcome. if you're looking for a place to start, I'd check
                                    >>>out all the APR commits over the past two weeks - that is first on my
                                    >>>list once I get a free moment.
                                    >>
                                    >>for those following along, it definitely seems to be something within httpd
                                    >>in the past month. httpd/apr/apr-util HEAD checkouts with -D"2004-03-01"
                                    >>test just fine against current mod_perl 2.0 cvs on fedora.
                                    >>

                                    > Geoff -
                                    >
                                    > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
                                    > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
                                    >
                                    > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.

                                    last night I ran snapshots from every day in march - 3/26 was the last
                                    working day for me, the APR LFS stuff was committed on the 27th. I also
                                    checked out httpd HEAD with APR from 3/26 and it worked fine, so it's
                                    definitely an APR issue. the easiest way I know of to get old snapshots is:

                                    cvs -z9 -d":pserver:anoncvs@...:/home/cvspublic" checkout -d
                                    httpd-2.1 -D"2004-03-26" httpd-2.0
                                    cd httpd-2.1/srclib
                                    cvs -z9 -d":pserver:anoncvs@...:/home/cvspublic" checkout
                                    -D"2004-03-26" apr
                                    cvs -z9 -d":pserver:anoncvs@...:/home/cvspublic" checkout
                                    -D"2004-03-26" apr-util

                                    HTH

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Apr 1 10:05 AM
                                      Beau E. Cox wrote:
                                      > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
                                      >
                                      >>Beau E. Cox wrote:
                                      >>[...]
                                      >>

                                      >>>The module in question - mod_perl.c - line 614 is ' rcfg = '. I hand-
                                      >>>expanded the MP_dRCFG macro in the hope if getting more information,
                                      >>>but all that showed is, indeed, the routine was entered with a non-NULL
                                      >>>request_rec:
                                      >>
                                      >>A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
                                      >>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
                                      >>

                                      > Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.
                                      >
                                      > Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
                                      > it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.

                                      It shouldn't have changed anything, just suggesting an easy way to expand
                                      macros. I wasn't talking about the first item of the abover URL, but the
                                      second, which explains how to setup up your build so that you can dynamically
                                      expand macros from within gdb. You don't need to expand them manually in your
                                      code. That's the whole coolness of it.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Apr 1 11:38 AM
                                        > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
                                        > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
                                        >
                                        > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.

                                        ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:

                                        http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2

                                        so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
                                        would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
                                        that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
                                        hope...

                                      • Beau E. Cox
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Apr 1 12:26 PM
                                          On Thursday 01 April 2004 09:38 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                                          > > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
                                          > > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
                                          > >
                                          > > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.
                                          >
                                          > ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:
                                          >
                                          > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2
                                          >
                                          > so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
                                          > would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
                                          > that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
                                          > hope...

                                          Geoff -

                                          Re 'pulled' 2.1 from cvs HEAD (APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES was 0) and built server:

                                          mod_perl2 (cvs) tests:
                                          All tests successful.
                                          Files=14, Tests=75, 17 wallclock secs (11.22 cusr + 0.89 csys = 12.11 CPU)
                                          make[1]: Leaving directory
                                          `/home/test/httpd/2.1/src/modperl2/modperl-2.0/ModPerl-Registry'

                                          Many thanks.

                                          Aloha => Beau;

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Apr 1 12:28 PM
                                            On Thursday 01 April 2004 08:05 am, Stas Bekman wrote:
                                            > Beau E. Cox wrote:
                                            > > On Wednesday 31 March 2004 09:21 pm, Stas Bekman wrote:
                                            > >>Beau E. Cox wrote:
                                            > >>[...]
                                            > >>
                                            > >>A handy tip: you can make gdb open macros for you:
                                            > >>http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/devel/debug/c.html#Expanding_C_Macros
                                            > >
                                            > > Thanks Stas - the 'ol preprocessor - good tip.
                                            > >
                                            > > Tried it, updated .c file with the 'official' expansion (I did
                                            > > it right by the way), tested, same seg fault.
                                            >
                                            > It shouldn't have changed anything, just suggesting an easy way to expand
                                            > macros. I wasn't talking about the first item of the abover URL, but the
                                            > second, which explains how to setup up your build so that you can
                                            > dynamically expand macros from within gdb. You don't need to expand them
                                            > manually in your code. That's the whole coolness of it.

                                            OK - I see it now. COOL.

                                            Aloha => Beau;

                                          • Beau E. Cox
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Apr 2 4:37 AM
                                              On Thursday 01 April 2004 09:38 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                                              > > Just wondering, is the older ( -D"2004-03-01" ) Apache2.1 still
                                              > > available via CVS ( without you doing a lot of work )?
                                              > >
                                              > > If I could test against it, it would narrow my problem down.
                                              >
                                              > ok, it looks as though it's an fixable APR problem:
                                              >
                                              > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=apache-modperl-dev&m=108082860631380&w=2
                                              >
                                              > so, the steps to follow are run buildconf and configure as you normally
                                              > would, then edit the generated apr.h as indicated in the above link. after
                                              > that you ought to be able to run make as usual and things should be ok. we
                                              > hope...

                                              Geoff, FYI -

                                              'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
                                              for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
                                              using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
                                              patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

                                              Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
                                              site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

                                              Aloha => Beau;

                                              Message 22 of 24 , Apr 2 5:18 AM
                                                > Geoff, FYI -
                                                >
                                                > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
                                                > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
                                                > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to be
                                                > patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).

                                                cool.

                                                > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my production
                                                > site to 2.1 and see how it goes.

                                                yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
                                                issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
                                                officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
                                                run into problems.

                                              • Beau E. Cox
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Apr 2 5:36 AM
                                                  On Friday 02 April 2004 03:18 am, Geoffrey Young wrote:
                                                  > > Geoff, FYI -
                                                  > >
                                                  > > 'Patching' the APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES to 0 as described above did not work
                                                  > > for me. Even with it set to 0 in apr.h the server seg faulted. However,
                                                  > > using '--disable-lfs' DID work (and APR_HAS_LARGE_FILES did not need to
                                                  > > be patched because it came out of the configure set to 0).
                                                  >
                                                  > cool.
                                                  >
                                                  > > Anyway, I'm a happy camper - and - tomorrow I plan to convert my
                                                  > > production site to 2.1 and see how it goes.
                                                  >
                                                  > yikes. please be aware that while we do our best to make sure that any
                                                  > issues mod_perl 2.0 has with Apache 2.1 are resolved fairly quickly,
                                                  > officially Apache 2.1 is unsupported so you may be left in a lurch if you
                                                  > run into problems.

                                                  yikes, youself, indeed! ;)

                                                  Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
                                                  2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
                                                  cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
                                                  one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
                                                  I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
                                                  them elsewhere.

                                                  At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
                                                  any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

                                                  Aloha => Beau;

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Apr 2 7:04 AM
                                                    > Not to worry. I won't come crying when it dies - I'll just flip back to
                                                    > 2.0. My site is not that big a risk - low traffic - and I'm running all
                                                    > cvs devel packages on it already. Note - this is my little site, _not_
                                                    > one of my clients'. I have always kept my site on the bleading edge so
                                                    > I have experience with the new packages when it comes time to install
                                                    > them elsewhere.

                                                    yes, that makes perfect sense. we just have different ideas of production
                                                    then :)

                                                    > At least with 2.1 running 'live' I can share with you and the 2.1 team
                                                    > any glitches I encounter (in a nice way).

                                                    indeed. in fact, without people like you playing with the bleeding edge it
                                                    will never become stable. so we appreciate your efforts here.