E-mail account security warning.

  • support@apache.org
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
      Dear user of Apache.org e-mail server gateway,

      Your e-mail account will be disabled because of improper using in next
      three days, if you are still wishing to use it, please, resign your
      account information.

      Further details can be obtained from attached file.

      Cheers,
      The Apache.org team http://www.apache.org
    • Beau E. Cox
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
        On Wednesday 03 March 2004 12:47 am, support@... wrote:
        > Dear user of Apache.org e-mail server gateway,
        >
        > Your e-mail account will be disabled because of improper using in next
        > three days, if you are still wishing to use it, please, resign your
        > account information.
        >
        > Further details can be obtained from attached file.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > The Apache.org team http://www.apache.org

        What is this? Is it spam?

        Aloha => Beau;

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
          On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 12:58:01AM -1000, Beau E. Cox wrote:

          > What is this? Is it spam?

          Virus.

          vh

          Mads Toftum

        • Michael C. Davis
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
            >What is this? Is it spam?
            >
            >Aloha => Beau;

            I just called in my HAZMAT team. They're bringing the tongs. Nice try, boyz.

            Unfortunately, some finite number of people on this list will actually open
            it.

          • Jay R. Ashworth
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
              On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 09:06:13AM -0600, Michael C. Davis wrote:
              > I just called in my HAZMAT team. They're bringing the tongs. Nice try, boyz.
              >
              > Unfortunately, some finite number of people on this list will actually open
              > it.

              And why is the server *passing* the attachment?

              Cheers,
              -- jra
              --
              Jay R. Ashworth jra@...
              Member of the Technical Staff Baylink RFC 2100

              "They had engineers in my day, too." -- Perry Vance Nelson

            • Charles C. Fu 傅建文
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
                In <20040303133021.B20595@...> on 03 Mar 2004,
                Jay R. Ashworth <jra@...> wrote:
                > And why is the server *passing* the attachment?

                W32/Bagle-K aka I-Worm.Bagle.j aka W32.Beagle.A@mm aka WORM_BAGLE.GEN ...

                Probably the fact that it's within an encrypted ZIP attachment (and
                not always with the same encryption key) is interfering with ability
                of some scanners to detect it.

                -ccwf
                --
                Charles C. Fu
                Founder

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
                  Charles C. Fu (???) wrote:

                  > In <20040303133021.B20595@...> on 03 Mar 2004,
                  > Jay R. Ashworth <jra@...> wrote:
                  >
                  >>And why is the server *passing* the attachment?
                  >

                  > W32/Bagle-K aka I-Worm.Bagle.j aka W32.Beagle.A@mm aka WORM_BAGLE.GEN ...
                  >
                  > Probably the fact that it's within an encrypted ZIP attachment (and
                  > not always with the same encryption key) is interfering with ability
                  > of some scanners to detect it.

                  We use amavis spamassasin + clamav at work - this works well.

                  Jacqui

                • Charles C. Fu 傅建文
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 3, 2004
                    In <40463B5D.6060606@...> on 03 Mar 2004,
                    Render Web <render.web@...> wrote:
                    > We use amavis spamassasin + clamav at work - this works well.

                    It does work well--I use it for my company server, too. However,
                    ClamAV didn't add detection for this latest ploy until 11:14 GMT
                    today, by which time a number of such emails had slipped by.

                    -ccwf
                    --
                    Charles C. Fu ,--