Re: [OT] Forcing httpd's to not swap out of memory

  • Mark Maunder
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 29, 2004
      Thanks. I think the idea of sending a useless signal is the best so far.
      I'm also going to upgrade my kernel and see if I can get more meaningful
      output from ps.

      btw, is anyone using the 2.6 kernel on live servers yet?

      On Sun, 2004-02-29 at 12:50, Render Web wrote:
      > Mark Maunder wrote:
      > > I've considered it, but I have a few other processes that I'd like to
      > > swap out when they're inactive to increase disk cache etc. btw, I've
      > > managed to lock mysql into memory on the server using the memlock config
      > > option which uses mlockall. I've googled myself to death but can't find
      > > anything about mlock and apache.
      >
      > altavista gave me this
      >
      > http://www.itworld.com/nl/lnx_tip/05182001/
      >
      > I have not tried it but one trick would be to create
      > a process that locks memeory then execs apache into the alloced
      > memory space. Somehow I hope/doubt this would not work but i
      > may be worth a try as a "workaround" :-)
      >
      > A quick grep of the most recent (cvs update as of 29/feb 12:43)
      > apache2/mp2 source shows no ocurrences of 'mlock'.
      >
      > Note that it should not be too difficult to add however
      > it would make more sense to upgrade apache to a RT process
      > if this is your objective.
      >
      > Another option would be to install an SSD as swap device.
      > This does make linux (and Cray's) go like greased weasel stuff
      > and as memory costs are low, should not be an expensive option.
      >
      > Whatever you decide to do , keep us informed- I for one am
      > interested in how you solve the problem as I would with
      > large AP2/MP2 apps and swap can be a problem for me as well.
      >
      > Jacqui

    • Ged Haywood
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004
        Hi there,

        On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, Mark Maunder wrote:

        > is anyone using the 2.6 kernel on live servers yet?

        Nearly did it, then I ran into problems with a VPN which only happen
        with the 2.6 kernel. Given the networking nature of the problems I
        thought better of it. This was with 2.6.x where x <= 1 so YMMV.

        73,
        Ged.