Apache::Session maintainership

  • Jeffrey W. Baker
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 24, 2004
      I've released Apache::Session 1.6, which I had planned for New Year's
      Day. Truly, it takes only a few minutes or at most a few hours to
      apply, test, and release improvements and fixes. However, I simply
      don't develop for the web any more. Therefore I've lost the itch that
      Apache::Session used to scratch. I don't even use it any more myself,
      except in systems I developed years ago.

      Therefore I'd be happy and grateful to hand off the maintainership of
      Apache::Session to one or a group of you. Proposals welcome.

      Dave Rolsky: please desist from insulting me.

      -jwb

    • Casey West
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 24, 2004
        It was Tuesday, February 24, 2004 when Jeffrey W. Baker took the soap box, saying:
        : Therefore I'd be happy and grateful to hand off the maintainership of
        : Apache::Session to one or a group of you. Proposals welcome.

        Apache::Session is an important distribution for the work I do. I'd be
        willing to maintain it. I know your TODO says there isn't anything
        left, this is what I'd propose, in no particular order.

        - Document the API Apache::Session expects you to implement for new
        stores, lockers, serializers, and generators.
        - Make interfaces more abstract so using a tied hash is not the only
        easily accessible option.
        - Update the test suite to use the Test::* modules.
        - Review and expand test coverage as much as possible (anybody have
        a spare Sybase or Oracle?).
        - Address anything at
        http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Apache-Session
        - Address anything in http://cpanratings.perl.org/d/Apache-Session
        appropriately.
        - Review and apply suggestions and patches from contributors.
        - Form a secret cabal to get the cpanrating up to 4.5 stars.
        - Work with any testing monkeys that the Phalanx project brings me,
        http://qa.perl.org/phalanx/distros.html
        - Always precede a release with as many dev releases as necessary
        (is this getting too detailed?).
        - Generally treat the distribution with great care because it is
        widely used.

        In any case, I'm interested. I know I listed a lot here, but that's
        because I listed as much as I could think of. Baby steps are required.

        Casey West

        --
        "So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing,
        even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about

        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 24, 2004
          Casey West wrote:
          > It was Tuesday, February 24, 2004 when Jeffrey W. Baker took the soap box, saying:
          > : Therefore I'd be happy and grateful to hand off the maintainership of
          > : Apache::Session to one or a group of you. Proposals welcome.
          >
          > Apache::Session is an important distribution for the work I do. I'd be
          > willing to maintain it.

          you do good work casey, and it would be great to see you involved with our
          little corner of perl :)

        • Enrico Sorcinelli
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 25, 2004
            On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 16:14:23 -0500
            Casey West <casey@...> wrote:

            > It was Tuesday, February 24, 2004 when Jeffrey W. Baker took the soap box, saying:
            > : Therefore I'd be happy and grateful to hand off the maintainership of
            > : Apache::Session to one or a group of you. Proposals welcome.
            >
            > Apache::Session is an important distribution for the work I do. I'd be
            > willing to maintain it. I know your TODO says there isn't anything
            > left,

            Me too, I use A::S intensively and I'm interested to collaborate to the
            Apache::Session 'project'.

            >this is what I'd propose, in no particular order.

            I'd add:

            - a sessions 'clean' object (for all datastore)
            - the facility to customize (add) 'sessions' tabls fields
            - a web wrapper (glue) code: in the fact i've rarely seen A::S utilization
            out of the web context

            by

            - Enrico

            PS: Jeffrey, I think that Apache::Session is one of most used modules in a
            mod_perl (and not only?) world: so if you cannot assure right maintenance,
            you've done the better thing by asking for new maintainers. Thanks! :-)

          • Casey West
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 25, 2004
              It was Wednesday, February 25, 2004 when Enrico Sorcinelli took the soap box, saying:
              : Casey West <casey@...> wrote:
              :
              : > It was Tuesday, February 24, 2004 when Jeffrey W. Baker took the soap box, saying:
              : > : Therefore I'd be happy and grateful to hand off the maintainership of
              : > : Apache::Session to one or a group of you. Proposals welcome.
              : >
              : > Apache::Session is an important distribution for the work I do. I'd be
              : > willing to maintain it. I know your TODO says there isn't anything
              : > left,
              :
              : Me too, I use A::S intensively and I'm interested to collaborate to the
              : Apache::Session 'project'.

              Excellent, thanks.

              : I'd add:
              :
              : - a sessions 'clean' object (for all datastore)
              : - the facility to customize (add) 'sessions' tabls fields
              : - a web wrapper (glue) code: in the fact i've rarely seen A::S utilization
              : out of the web context

              I tried to keep my new feature ideas out of the list. But you definitely
              hit some of mine here too.

              I know there are a lot of feature requests, bug notices, and patches
              that have come through this list over the years.

              If you've got features or bugs to report I'd highly suggest that you
              report them to the CPAN RT. That way they aren't lost. If you've had
              some request in the past, consider re-submitting it. There will be a lot
              of work for the maintainer in working through the mailing list archives
              and google searches looking for such things. Any help with avoiding that
              would be appreciated.

              http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/Bugs.html?Dist=Apache-Session

              Casey West

              --
              Shooting yourself in the foot with BASIC (compiled)
              You shoot yourself in the foot with a BB using a SCUD missile

            • Dave Rolsky
              Message 6 of 12 , Feb 25, 2004
                On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Casey West wrote:

                > of work for the maintainer in working through the mailing list archives

                Or maintainer_s_. Why not set up an SF project for this? Then you and
                Enrico can both do work on it. There's no reason a Perl module needs one
                and only one maintainer.

                -dave

                /*=======================
                House Absolute Consulting
                www.houseabsolute.com
              • Casey West
                Message 7 of 12 , Feb 25, 2004
                  It was Wednesday, February 25, 2004 when Dave Rolsky took the soap box, saying:
                  : On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Casey West wrote:
                  :
                  : > of work for the maintainer in working through the mailing list archives
                  :
                  : Or maintainer_s_. Why not set up an SF project for this? Then you and
                  : Enrico can both do work on it. There's no reason a Perl module needs one
                  : and only one maintainer.

                  Whatever Jeffery wants. I've not been so presumptuous to think that he
                  likes the idea of me working on his code at all, thus the generics.

                  I really hate SourceForge anyway, from experience. If that's what folks
                  want, and Jeffery is okay with me (us, him, whoever) going ahead with
                  it, then that is what will happen. I'm fine with conceeding that
                  point.

                  Basically, though, there should be one release manager. My
                  interpretation of Enrico's post was that he's willing to work on the
                  project, but not maintain it. Maybe I read too much into it.

                  Casey West

                  --
                  Usenet is like Tetris for people who still remember how to read.
                  -- Button from the Computer Museum, Boston, MA

                • Dave Rolsky
                  Message 8 of 12 , Feb 25, 2004
                    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Casey West wrote:

                    > Whatever Jeffery wants. I've not been so presumptuous to think that he
                    > likes the idea of me working on his code at all, thus the generics.

                    Well, he did say he'd "be happy and grateful to hand off the
                    maintainership of Apache::Session to one or a group of you".

                    > I really hate SourceForge anyway, from experience. If that's what folks
                    > want, and Jeffery is okay with me (us, him, whoever) going ahead with
                    > it, then that is what will happen. I'm fine with conceeding that
                    > point.
                    >
                    > Basically, though, there should be one release manager. My
                    > interpretation of Enrico's post was that he's willing to work on the
                    > project, but not maintain it. Maybe I read too much into it.

                    Well, there's Savannah or whatever you like. I was just suggesting that
                    both you and Enrico could have commit access. Then you can do the
                    releases yourself.

                    -dave

                    /*=======================
                    House Absolute Consulting
                    www.houseabsolute.com
                  • Jeffrey W. Baker
                    Message 9 of 12 , Feb 26, 2004
                      On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 16:42, Dave Rolsky wrote:
                      > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Casey West wrote:
                      >
                      > > of work for the maintainer in working through the mailing list archives
                      >
                      > Or maintainer_s_. Why not set up an SF project for this? Then you and
                      > Enrico can both do work on it. There's no reason a Perl module needs one
                      > and only one maintainer.

                      SourceForget is truly terrible and I would not burden the users with the
                      horror of having to use it.

                      Casey's ideas are excellent and show certain forthought and taste. I'm
                      happy with Enrico's ideas also. So here's what I'd like to do:

                      Either or both of you, or anyone on this list, should send your patches
                      for inclusion in the next release (1.7). After any features are added
                      and tests written for them, we'll make a new release. If it goes well,
                      I'll fiddle with CPAN to hand over maintainership to Casey, who could
                      then add uploaders as required.

                      -jwb

                    • Enrico Sorcinelli
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 4, 2004
                        On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 12:29:20 -0800
                        "Jeffrey W. Baker" <jwb@...> wrote:

                        > On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 16:42, Dave Rolsky wrote:
                        > > On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Casey West wrote:
                        > >
                        > > > of work for the maintainer in working through the mailing list archives
                        > >
                        > > Or maintainer_s_. Why not set up an SF project for this? Then you and
                        > > Enrico can both do work on it. There's no reason a Perl module needs one
                        > > and only one maintainer.
                        >
                        > SourceForget is truly terrible and I would not burden the users with the
                        > horror of having to use it.
                        >
                        > Casey's ideas are excellent and show certain forthought and taste. I'm
                        > happy with Enrico's ideas also. So here's what I'd like to do:
                        >
                        > Either or both of you, or anyone on this list, should send your patches
                        > for inclusion in the next release (1.7). After any features are added
                        > and tests written for them, we'll make a new release. If it goes well,
                        > I'll fiddle with CPAN to hand over maintainership to Casey, who could
                        > then add uploaders as required.

                        Hi Jeff,

                        it's fine to me.
                        Also, a CVS-like environment would be much appreciated, as suggested by Dave,
                        where we could have commit access

                        by

                        - Enrico

                      • Ask Bjørn Hansen
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 18, 2004
                          On Feb 26, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

                          > SourceForget is truly terrible and I would not burden the users with
                          > the
                          > horror of having to use it.

                          We'd be happy to host a SCM repository for Apache::Session over at
                          perl.org. Either in CVS, like http://cvs.perl.org/viewcvs/modules/ or
                          in Subversion next to DBI and the SDL module:
                          http://svn.perl.org/viewcvs/modules/

                          - ask

                          --
                          http://www.askbjoernhansen.com/

                        • Jeffrey W. Baker
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 2, 2004
                            On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 14:44, Ask Bjørn Hansen wrote:
                            > On Feb 26, 2004, at 12:29 PM, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:
                            >
                            > > SourceForget is truly terrible and I would not burden the users with
                            > > the
                            > > horror of having to use it.
                            >
                            > We'd be happy to host a SCM repository for Apache::Session over at
                            > perl.org. Either in CVS, like http://cvs.perl.org/viewcvs/modules/ or
                            > in Subversion next to DBI and the SDL module:
                            > http://svn.perl.org/viewcvs/modules/

                            I personally prefer arch because it doesn't need to be hosted by
                            anyone. I can also do monotone. But if everybody wants Subversion or
                            CVS, just remember to make me an account :)

                            -jwb