Re: conference talks

  • Larry Leszczynski
    Message 1 of 15 , Feb 3 5:26 PM
      Hi Perrin -

      > Okay, I need a little feedback here on which of these talks I should
      > submit for conferences this year.

      I'll cast a vote for the Scalable Websites talk. Despite multiple
      successful mod_perl deployments at my current company, my mod_perl
      compatriots and I still fight the perception/assumption that any "high
      volume" site being considered will need to be done with Java. Large-site
      success stories plus implementation specifics would be much appreciated!
      Besides the topics you mentioned, I'd also be interested in hearing about
      ways to handle logging as well as usage statistics/reporting (e.g. per
      customer, per account, and global usage tracking).

      Larry Leszczynski

    • Ian Joyce
      Message 2 of 15 , Feb 4 5:59 AM
        >>> Perrin Harkins <perrin@...> 02/03/04 05:13PM >>>
        >Practical Perl Style
        >--------------------

        It seems to me that most people who attend these conferences will already know how to write maintainable perl. But maybe not.

        >Scalable Websites with Perl
        >---------------------------

        So I vote for this one.

        --Ian

        Message 3 of 15 , Feb 4 9:06 AM
          Thanks to everyone who sent feedback. Looks like I'll be submitting a
          talk on building scalable sites! And yes, I will certainly try to get
          an article version of the talk published on the web at some point for
          people who can't make it to US conferences. No promises on how soon
          though, because writing up a detailed article like that is pretty
          time-consuming, and I have a backlog of them to finish right now.

        • Charlie Smith
          Message 4 of 15 , Feb 5 6:22 AM
            Sounds great. I'd be very interested in how to scale PERL. What are some of
            the large sites that do this, for example?

            Message 5 of 15 , Feb 5 6:26 AM

              Message 6 of 15 , Feb 5 6:42 AM
                On Thu, 2004-02-05 at 09:26, Charlie Smith wrote:
                > Sounds great. I'd be very interested in how to scale PERL. What are some of
                > the large sites that do this, for example?

                I have to see who is willing to talk to me about it, but I will
                definitely be discussing Ticketmaster.com and CitySearch.com. If you're
                just looking for reference sites, the recent perl.com advocacy article
                had some more.

              • Igor Ivoilov
                Message 7 of 15 , Feb 6 5:00 AM
                  > Large-site
                  > success stories plus implementation specifics would be much
                  > appreciated!

                  http://slashdot.org/faq/tech.shtml#te500
                  about load on this site
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slashdot_effect