Re: Installation Help

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2003
      > I have installed Mandrake 9.1, and in the installation I asked it to also
      > install Apache 2, mod_perl, mysql.
      [...]
      > 5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache2/Apache
      >
      > that does not contain an Registry module.

      See:
      http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/compat.html#C_Apache__Registry___C_Apache__PerlRun__and_Friends

      > My apache identify itself as:
      >
      > Apache-AdvancedExtranetServer/2.0.44 (Mandrake Linux/11mdk) mod_perl/1.99_08
      > Perl/v5.8.0 mod_ssl/2.0.44 OpenSSL/0.9.7a PHP/4.3.1
      >
      > So, it seen that I have mod_perl 2. (that what 1.99 means, doesn't it?)

      Yes. And you want to install mod_perl 1.99_12 released a week ago to avoid all
      the bugs that were resolved since 1.99_08.

      > the apache modules are in:
      >
      > /usr/lib/apache2-2.0.44/
      >
      > and the mod_perl is in:
      >
      > /usr/lib/apache2-extramodules-2.0.44/
      >
      > so I put in the apache httpd2.conf the line:
      >
      > LoadModule perl_module extramodules/mod_perl.so
      >
      > instead of:
      >
      > LoadModule perl_module modules/mod_perl.so
      >
      > and suprizingly, apache did found the mod_perl file.

      You use a prebuilt package by Mandrake, I suppose that they provide their own
      installation notes. We can't possibly know what each distro does if they don't
      follow the standard way.

      > So, I inserted another line:
      >
      > PerlRequire /etc/httpd/..../apache2-startup.pl
      >
      > (well, now I'm guessing. didn't write the real file name/path, but it's
      > something like that)
      >

      > And now, Apache refuse to start, and state the he cann't find
      > Apache/Registry.

      See above. It's ModPerl::Registry.
      [...]
      > And some apache questions:

      Apache questions belong to the Apache users list:
      http://httpd.apache.org/lists.html#http-users

      > 2. I don't have a util named "apxs". is it important?

      It's useful for 3rd party modules. I think you do have it. Some distros call
      it apxs2.

      > What annoy me the most is that I still haven't wrote a single line in perl.
      > didn't breach the installation stage. ufff.

      You are much better off removing modperl binaries and building your own. In
      which case the docs at http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/ will answer all your
      questions.