extending HTTP 1.1

  • Jan Algermissen
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 27, 2003
      Hi,

      I am working on an implementation of a notification system based on HTTP
      and I need to write a mod_perl-based Apache module that handles the
      (non-HTTP1.1 MONITOR method).

      I started using the URI translation phase which works fine, but since I
      need support for virtual hosts and per-directory configuration, I'd
      rather like to use the header parse phase.

      Unfortunately, Apache seems to complain about the unknown HTTP method
      right inside the URI translation phase and thus doesn't even reach
      the header parse phase but sends a 501 right away.

      Can anyone provide me with a hint how to work around this or what
      I am doing wrong?

      [I am thinking about using the post-read-request phase to change the
      method to GET and using a variable to tell the header-parse phase
      that the method has actually been a MONITOR. Does that make sense?]

      Many thanks in advance!

      Jan

      --
      Jan Algermissen http://www.topicmapping.com
      Consultant & Programmer http://www.gooseworks.org

    • Thomas Schindl
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 29, 2003
        Why don't you use Apache2/mod_perl2 where you can create
        Protocol-Handlers?

        http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/protocols.html

        Tom

        On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 17:03, Jan Algermissen wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I am working on an implementation of a notification system based on HTTP
        > and I need to write a mod_perl-based Apache module that handles the
        > (non-HTTP1.1 MONITOR method).
        >
        > I started using the URI translation phase which works fine, but since I
        > need support for virtual hosts and per-directory configuration, I'd
        > rather like to use the header parse phase.
        >
        > Unfortunately, Apache seems to complain about the unknown HTTP method
        > right inside the URI translation phase and thus doesn't even reach
        > the header parse phase but sends a 501 right away.
        >
        > Can anyone provide me with a hint how to work around this or what
        > I am doing wrong?
        >
        > [I am thinking about using the post-read-request phase to change the
        > method to GET and using a variable to tell the header-parse phase
        > that the method has actually been a MONITOR. Does that make sense?]
        >

        > Many thanks in advance!
        >

        > Jan
        >

        > --
        > Jan Algermissen http://www.topicmapping.com
        > Consultant & Programmer http://www.gooseworks.org
        --
        \\\||///
        \\ - - //
      • Thomas Schindl
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 29, 2003
          Hello again,

          for Apache2 take a look at
          http://search.cpan.org/~stas/Apache-Filter-HTTPHeadersFixup-0.01/lib/Apache/Filter/HTTPHeadersFixup.pm

          Tom

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 31, 2003
            Jan Algermissen wrote:
            > Hi,
            >
            > I am working on an implementation of a notification system based on HTTP
            > and I need to write a mod_perl-based Apache module that handles the
            > (non-HTTP1.1 MONITOR method).
            >
            > I started using the URI translation phase which works fine, but since I
            > need support for virtual hosts and per-directory configuration, I'd
            > rather like to use the header parse phase.
            >
            > Unfortunately, Apache seems to complain about the unknown HTTP method
            > right inside the URI translation phase and thus doesn't even reach
            > the header parse phase but sends a 501 right away.
            >
            > Can anyone provide me with a hint how to work around this or what
            > I am doing wrong?
            >
            > [I am thinking about using the post-read-request phase to change the
            > method to GET and using a variable to tell the header-parse phase
            > that the method has actually been a MONITOR. Does that make sense?]
            >

            > Many thanks in advance!

            Under mp2 it's trivial:
            http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#Extending_HTTP_Protocol