Re: [BUG] Inconsistent $r->print() behavior with references

  • Jonathan Field
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 2, 2003
      If I may follow up --

      I am curious why the feature is to be disabled in 2.x? Not questioning
      the judgement, but wondering if it was determined to not be a worthwhile
      performance gain? Or is it just too complex internally despite the gain?
      I am always looking to squeeze the last bit of performace out of my
      servers, and thought this was a cool little trick :)

      Also, without any understanding of the internals, it seems to me there may
      be a second problem: on subsequent requests the ref is still hanging
      around (as shown in the original sample output I sent), even though both
      the original scalar and the ref are lexically scoped. One would think
      they had been destroyed by then? Any clue as to what causes that? Is
      this small leak meaningful enough to worry about?

      In the meantime I'll prepare to stop using this feature! Unless of course
      you end up fixing it :)

      Thanks,
      Jonathan Field

    • Jonathan Field
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 10, 2003
        Thanks, all, for the prompt attention. I will update my coding habits
        accordingly :)

        Cheers