Re: [BUG] Inconsistent $r->print() behavior with references

    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 2, 2003
      Ged Haywood wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Geoffrey Young wrote:
      >

      >>it's fun to track this kind of stuff down, even
      >>if we end up not changing anything :)
      >

      > Shouldn't we in fact be changing something?
      >
      > My view would be that the dereferencing facility should be removed
      > from the standard build but left as a non-default compilation option
      > for those that need it to support old code. A message to STDERR to
      > the effect that the automatic dereferencing is not supported should
      > be enough to prevent confusion in the event that a reference were
      > accidentally passed to the print routine. It could even mention
      > this, er, newly discovered feature. :)

      the danger here is changing the stable tree willy nilly. lots of people
      depend on mod_perl running exactly the way it does - every change we toss in
      going forward has the potential for having unforseen consequences and
      costing shops lots of money investigating new issues.

      I'm all for fixing bugs. however, if the bug is rare or obscure and can be
      easily worked around, or if it is the result of using a deprecated feature,
      I'm a little hesitant to alter the core at all. not entirely hesitant, mind
      you, but I feel as though we are required to be extra careful.

      so, with that in mind, I'd be far more likely to implement a simple change
      that fixed the broken "feature" (perhaps as rafael suggested) than to add
      lots of code that spits out new warnings or otherwise intentionally breaks
      running production code and forces shops to retrofit their codebase.

    • Jonathan Field
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 10, 2003
        Thanks, all, for the prompt attention. I will update my coding habits
        accordingly :)

        Cheers