Re: [BUG] Inconsistent $r->print() behavior with references

  • Ged Haywood
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 2, 2003
      Hi all,

      On Tue, 2 Dec 2003, Geoffrey Young wrote:

      > it's fun to track this kind of stuff down, even
      > if we end up not changing anything :)

      Shouldn't we in fact be changing something?

      My view would be that the dereferencing facility should be removed
      from the standard build but left as a non-default compilation option
      for those that need it to support old code. A message to STDERR to
      the effect that the automatic dereferencing is not supported should
      be enough to prevent confusion in the event that a reference were
      accidentally passed to the print routine. It could even mention
      this, er, newly discovered feature. :)

      73,
      Ged.

      PS:
      [OT] Sorry for this way off-topic part of my post.

      We're looking for a Compaq Proliant DL380 G1 server in working order.
      They're getting pretty old now and they're not very common over on
      this side of the Atlantic, but from what I can see on eBay they're
      readily available in the USA, the going rate seems to be about 400-500
      US Dollars. Unfortunately most eBay sellers won't ship internationally.

      We're not fussy about the specifications of the machine, it will only
      be used to bench-test new hardware which has to be installed in our
      CoLo, but we'd want it to have a full complement of power supplies and
      obviously the more bang we can get for the bucks the better.

      If anyone has one of these machines available for sale, or knows of
      someone with one they'd like to sell, please let me know. We don't
      need any software with it, we'll only be running Linux on it and we
      have all the necessary Compaq software. There's no great hurry, but
      if we could get something in December that would be great.

      Alternatively some kind soul might allow me to get a machine delivered
      from eBay to their USA address, then we could get a carrier to collect
      it and bring it to England. That might make people nervous about the
      liability in case of damage or non-delivery: don't worry, I will bear
      the risk. Also, obviously, we wouldn't want anyone to incur any kind
      of expense on our behalf.
    • Jonathan Field
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 10, 2003
        Thanks, all, for the prompt attention. I will update my coding habits
        accordingly :)

        Cheers