Re: Once more connection monitoring

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 30, 2003
      > I'm more worried about whether or not I am on the right track with this
      > section of code layout.
      >
      > IF i wanted to allow a validated user to download one file at a time
      > from a certain folder sub handler {
      > # validate user first to see if they belong in this area
      > # check and see if this user already has an active connection and is
      > currently downloading a file by maintaining this information in some
      > way(memory cache, flat file, db)don't know or can you poll the
      > active connections on the server or would that take too more
      > resources

      If you're concerned about speed, putting the data in MySQL, IPC::MM, or
      BerkeleyDB should be fast enough. Only MySQL in that list will work for
      multiple machines.
      > sub cleanup {
      > # remove active connections here b/c I won't be called until either
      > the file is through being sent or user terminated connection freeing
      > up services for this user to download another file

      A cleanup handler is the right place to do it, but you typically don't get
      interrupted when the user terminates the connection. Read more here:http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/debug.html#Handling_the__User_pressed_Stop_button__case