Re: Using RPMs for Perl/mod_perl

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
      On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 13:43, Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:
      > RH perl/mod_perl RPMs are bad.
      > 1) Perl 5.8.0 have bug which appear only with RH and Storable.pm. Fix:
      > upgrade Storable.pm
      > 2) RH use locale containing utf so perl 5.8.0 by default use utf
      > encoding for IO. Fix: change LANG to something non-UTF.
      > 3) RH use mod_perl2 which is unstable and choosed really
      > unstable(1.99_7) version. Issues: POST requests truncation. Fix: install
      > 1.99_10
      > 4) And may be other issues... may be I forgot something which I've
      > allready fixed in any way.

      I agree for the most part, but this hasn't always been the case. In
      previous versions of Red Hat, I used the system Perl. The locale issues
      in this release, and the very old version of mp2 make it tricky.

      If you get people to fix the locale, you may be okay with the mp2 they
      provide. It has known bugs, but not all apps will have problems. In
      general, I think using the system Perl but compiling your own mod_perl
      and apache is a reasonable compromise.

      Of course this just adds to the number of configurations you are
      supporting...