Re: Using RPMs for Perl/mod_perl

  • Ruslan U. Zakirov
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
      Ken Y. Clark wrote:

      >The discussion this morning on RedHat's Perl and mod_perl has me
      >wanting to ask about the general consensus on those packages. I
      >develop and maintain a fair-sized mod_perl app called "CMap"
      >(http://www.gmod.org/cmap), and my typical installers are biology
      >Ph.D.'s who generally have only a rudimentary knowledge of installing
      >software on *nix platforms. I've written a fairly dense INSTALL doc
      >that assumes people will be installing everything from source,
      >starting with Perl and following through to Apache/mod_perl. However,
      >most people seem to start off with the lastest version of RedHat with
      >some default installation that includes a number of the needed
      >packages (Perl, libgd, MySQL, Apache/mod_perl), so it doesn't seem
      >necessary for me to encourage them to remove those and start from
      >scratch. At the time I first wrote my INSTALL doc, it seemed most
      >Perl-related RPMs from RedHat were broken, so GD.pm and mod_perl and
      >Apache::Request, etc., would give me trouble installing unless I
      >started out doing "rpm -e --nodeps perl" and relied on no RPMs
      >whatsoever.
      >
      >I was wondering if the consensus is that RedHat's Perl and mod_perl
      >RPMs are good enough now that I should assume my pseudo-technical
      >users can rely on them and just worry about installing my code?
      >
      >ky

      RH perl/mod_perl RPMs are bad.
      1) Perl 5.8.0 have bug which appear only with RH and Storable.pm. Fix:
      upgrade Storable.pm
      2) RH use locale containing utf so perl 5.8.0 by default use utf
      encoding for IO. Fix: change LANG to something non-UTF.
      3) RH use mod_perl2 which is unstable and choosed really
      unstable(1.99_7) version. Issues: POST requests truncation. Fix: install
      1.99_10
      4) And may be other issues... may be I forgot something which I've
      allready fixed in any way.

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 3, 2003
        On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 13:43, Ruslan U. Zakirov wrote:
        > RH perl/mod_perl RPMs are bad.
        > 1) Perl 5.8.0 have bug which appear only with RH and Storable.pm. Fix:
        > upgrade Storable.pm
        > 2) RH use locale containing utf so perl 5.8.0 by default use utf
        > encoding for IO. Fix: change LANG to something non-UTF.
        > 3) RH use mod_perl2 which is unstable and choosed really
        > unstable(1.99_7) version. Issues: POST requests truncation. Fix: install
        > 1.99_10
        > 4) And may be other issues... may be I forgot something which I've
        > allready fixed in any way.

        I agree for the most part, but this hasn't always been the case. In
        previous versions of Red Hat, I used the system Perl. The locale issues
        in this release, and the very old version of mp2 make it tricky.

        If you get people to fix the locale, you may be okay with the mp2 they
        provide. It has known bugs, but not all apps will have problems. In
        general, I think using the system Perl but compiling your own mod_perl
        and apache is a reasonable compromise.

        Of course this just adds to the number of configurations you are
        supporting...