Re mod_perl returning perl scripts

  • Angela
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 26, 2003
      Aaah! I feel incredibly foolish! And I apologize for wasting the time of you
      good people here.

      I watched Internet explorer download the file and saw that the filename
      corresponded with my script name. When I tried to open it from the download
      option, it opened a command window that promptly closed. I assumed it was my
      original perl script trying to execute and falling over. I NEVER actually
      opened the file to look what it was! I assumed that because it was named
      *.pl it was a perl file. I had also seen an entry in my Apache logs where it
      looked as if someone had got a .pl file sent to them. Reminds me of a boss I
      once had; he said "never ass-u-me anything; if you do it might make and
      'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'". Well, it's certainly caught me this time.

      I had just created a test file, that returns WML, to publish at
      http://www.activitae.com/perl/modPerlTest.pl?param=Hello%20World and saw it
      download. I ran it; and, as before, the command window came and went. I
      thought double check Angela before you make a fool of yourself... and bingo
      the file is wml text!

      Sorry everyone; I'll crawl away and die now.

      Kind regards

      PS For those vary of links, modPerlTest.pl referred to above contains

      #!/usr/bin/perl -w
      use strict;
      use CGI::WML;

      my $query = CGI::WML->new();
      my $param=$query->param('param');
      my $text="You sent $param<br/><br/>";
      $text.="How now brown cow eating the cool green grass.<br/><br/>";
      $text.="Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled pepper.";
      my $content=$query->p($text);
      print
      #$query->header(-cache_control=>'No-cache; forua=true'),
      $query->header(),
      $query->start_wml(),
      $query->template(-content=>$query->prev()),
      $query->card(-id=>"test card",
      -title=>"Test WAP Card",
      -content=>$content),
      $query->end_wml();