Re: [OT] Re: Server Load Balancing: DNS Round-robin vs RewriteMap vs ????

  • Les Mikesell
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 26, 2003
      From: "Nigel Hamilton" <nigel@...>

      > I was worried about DNS caching and your IE experience does not
      > bode well for the round robin option. Did you set the TTL to less than 60
      > seconds?

      Individual IE clients will cache the DNS response indefinately regardless
      of the TTL. However statistically each has an equal chance of using
      each address. A test with one or a few clients won't show it especially
      if they use the same dns server and start at the same time, but it does
      work with large numbers of clients. Also if DNS returns multiple
      addresses and the first choice does not respond, IE will move on to
      the next in the list - other browsers may not do this as well.

      ---
      Les Mikesell
      lesmikesell@...