Scope of Apache request object and Apache::Session scoping.

  • Matisse Enzer
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
      In answer to another question Perrin Harkins <perrin@...> wrote:

      > I suggest you go over the code where you use the session hash very
      > carefully and make sure it goes out of scope at the end.

      I'm sticking a reference to the session hash in the Apache request object:

      $r->pnotes($auth_name => \%session );

      This is under mod_perl 2

      I'm doing this in the belief that the request object goes out of
      scope when Apache finishes handling the request, is this correct?

      Matisse Enzer
      Doodlelab Inc.
      415-925-5294 ext. 212 (office)
      415-225-6703 (mobile)
    • Praveen Ray
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
        Good Question. Does $r get freed after every request?
        In any case, best is to install a PerlCleanupHandler and set untie
        %$session in it.

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
          On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 16:23, Matisse Enzer wrote:
          > I'm sticking a reference to the session hash in the Apache request object:
          >
          > $r->pnotes($auth_name => \%session );
          >
          > This is under mod_perl 2
          >
          > I'm doing this in the belief that the request object goes out of
          > scope when Apache finishes handling the request, is this correct?

          Yes. That's a good approach to caching the session for the length of a
          request.

          - Perrin
        • Dave Rolsky
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
            On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Javier Alvarado wrote:

            > 2) Make sure the session is untied after *every* request (i.e. even if
            > a request is aborted, an error occurs in the middle, etc). Otherwise,
            > when the next request tries to tie it it will block.

            With MasonX::Request::WithApacheSession, this should happen automatically,
            since the session is stored in the request object, and the request object
            only lives for a single request.

            -dave

            /*=======================
            House Absolute Consulting
            www.houseabsolute.com
            =======================*/
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
              On Wed, 2003-10-01 at 18:56, Dave Rolsky wrote:
              > On Wed, 1 Oct 2003, Javier Alvarado wrote:
              >
              > > 2) Make sure the session is untied after *every* request (i.e. even if
              > > a request is aborted, an error occurs in the middle, etc). Otherwise,
              > > when the next request tries to tie it it will block.
              >
              > With MasonX::Request::WithApacheSession, this should happen automatically,
              > since the session is stored in the request object, and the request object
              > only lives for a single request.

              It would still be possible to screw this up if someone copied it into a
              global or made a closure, intentionally or not. That's what I would
              look for.

              - Perrin
            • Matisse Enzer
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
                mod_perl 2: APR::URI scheme and path_info
                        my $uri = APR::URI->parse;

                I want to find out what the scheme (http, https) was for the current request.
                I also want to find out (and maybe set) the path_info

                What's the right way to do this?

                Matisse Enzer
                Doodlelab Inc.
                415-925-5294 ext. 212 (office)
                415-225-6703 (mobile)
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 1, 2003
                  Matisse Enzer wrote:
                  > my $uri = APR::URI->parse;
                  >
                  > I want to find out what the scheme (http, https) was for the current
                  > request.

                  APR::URI->parse($r->pool, $r->uri)->scheme;

                  > I also want to find out (and maybe set) the path_info
                  >
                  > What's the right way to do this?

                  $path_info = $r->path_info;

                  $r->path_info($path_info);

                • Matisse Enzer
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003
                    -------------8<---------- Start Bug Report ------------8<----------
                    1. Problem Description:

                    I tried:
                    my $scheme = APR::URI->parse($r->pool, $r->uri)->scheme;

                    and it didn't seem to work. My server is on port 9000 but I got
                    nothing in $scheme.

                    At 4:53 PM -0700 10/1/03, Stas Bekman wrote:
                    >Matisse Enzer wrote:
                    >> my $uri = APR::URI->parse;
                    >>
                    >>I want to find out what the scheme (http, https) was for the current request.
                    >
                    >APR::URI->parse($r->pool, $r->uri)->scheme;
                    >
                    >>I also want to find out (and maybe set) the path_info
                    >>
                    >>What's the right way to do this?
                    >
                    >$path_info = $r->path_info;
                    >
                    >$r->path_info($path_info);

                    2. Used Components and their Configuration:

                    *** mod_perl version 1.9910

                    *** using
                    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/Apache/BuildConfig.pm
                    *** Makefile.PL options:
                    MP_AP_PREFIX => /usr/local/apache2
                    MP_COMPAT_1X => 1
                    MP_GENERATE_XS => 1
                    MP_LIBNAME => mod_perl
                    MP_USE_DSO => 1
                    MP_USE_STATIC => 1

                    *** /usr/local/apache2/bin/httpd -V
                    Server version: Apache/2.0.47
                    Server built: Sep 24 2003 11:08:28
                    Server's Module Magic Number: 20020903:4
                    Architecture: 32-bit
                    Server compiled with....
                    -D APACHE_MPM_DIR="server/mpm/prefork"
                    -D APR_HAS_SENDFILE
                    -D APR_HAS_MMAP
                    -D APR_HAVE_IPV6 (IPv4-mapped addresses enabled)
                    -D APR_USE_SYSVSEM_SERIALIZE
                    -D APR_USE_PTHREAD_SERIALIZE
                    -D SINGLE_LISTEN_UNSERIALIZED_ACCEPT
                    -D APR_HAS_OTHER_CHILD
                    -D AP_HAVE_RELIABLE_PIPED_LOGS
                    -D HTTPD_ROOT="/usr/local/apache2"
                    -D SUEXEC_BIN="/usr/local/apache2/bin/suexec"
                    -D DEFAULT_PIDLOG="logs/httpd.pid"
                    -D DEFAULT_SCOREBOARD="logs/apache_runtime_status"
                    -D DEFAULT_LOCKFILE="logs/accept.lock"
                    -D DEFAULT_ERRORLOG="logs/error_log"
                    -D AP_TYPES_CONFIG_FILE="conf/mime.types"
                    -D SERVER_CONFIG_FILE="conf/httpd.conf"

                    *** /usr/bin/perl -V
                    Summary of my perl5 (revision 5.0 version 8 subversion 0) configuration:
                    Platform:
                    osname=linux, osvers=2.4.21-1.1931.2.382.entsmp,
                    archname=i386-linux-thread-multi
                    uname='linux str'
                    config_args='-des -Doptimize=-O2 -g -pipe -march=i386 -mcpu=i686
                    -Dmyhostname=localhost -Dperladmin=root@localhost -Dcc=gcc
                    -Dcf_by=Red Hat, Inc. -Dinstallprefix=/usr -Dprefix=/usr
                    -Darchname=i386-linux -Dvendorprefix=/usr -Dsiteprefix=/usr
                    -Dotherlibdirs=/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0 -Duseshrplib -Dusethreads
                    -Duseithreads -Duselargefiles -Dd_dosuid -Dd_semctl_semun -Di_db
                    -Ui_ndbm -Di_gdbm -Di_shadow -Di_syslog -Dman3ext=3pm -Duseperlio
                    -Dinstallusrbinperl -Ubincompat5005 -Uversiononly
                    -Dpager=/usr/bin/less -isr'
                    usethreads=define use5005threads=undef'
                    useithreads=define usemultiplicity=
                    useperlio= d_sfio=undef uselargefiles=define usesocks=undef
                    use64bitint=undef use64bitall=un uselongdouble=
                    usemymalloc=, bincompat5005=undef
                    Compiler:
                    cc='gcc', ccflags ='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE
                    -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing
                    -I/usr/local/include -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64
                    -I/usr/include/gdbm',
                    optimize='',
                    cppflags='-D_REENTRANT -D_GNU_SOURCE -DTHREADS_HAVE_PIDS
                    -DDEBUGGING -fno-strict-aliasing -I/usr/local/include
                    -I/usr/include/gdbm'
                    ccversion='', gccversion='3.2.2 20030222 (Red Hat Linux
                    3.2.2-5)', gccosandvers=''
                    gccversion='3.2.2 200302'
                    intsize=r, longsize=r, ptrsize=5, doublesize=8, byteorder=1234
                    d_longlong=define, longlongsize=8, d_longdbl=define, longdblsize=12
                    ivtype='long'
                    k', ivsize=4'
                    ivtype='l, nvtype='double'
                    o_nonbl', nvsize=, Off_t='', lseeksize=8
                    alignbytes=4, prototype=define
                    Linker and Libraries:
                    ld='gcc'
                    l', ldflags =' -L/u'
                    libpth=/usr/local/lib /lib /usr/lib
                    libs=-lnsl -lgdbm -ldb -ldl -lm -lpthread -lc -lcrypt -lutil
                    perllibs=
                    libc=/lib/libc-2.3.2.so, so=so, useshrplib=true, libperl=libper
                    gnulibc_version='2.3.2'
                    Dynamic Linking:
                    dlsrc=dl_dlopen.xs, dlext=so', d_dlsymun=undef,
                    ccdlflags='-rdynamic
                    -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/CORE'
                    cccdlflags='-fPIC'
                    ccdlflags='-rdynamic -Wl,-rpath,/usr/lib/perl5', lddlflags='s
                    Unicode/Normalize XS/A'

                    Compile-time options: DEBUGGING MULTIPLICITY USE_ITHREADS
                    USE_LARGE_FILES PERL_IMPLICIT_CONTEXT
                    Locally applied patches:
                    MAINT18379
                    Built under linux
                    Compiled at Aug 13 2003 11:47:58
                    %ENV:
                    PERL_LWP_USE_HTTP_10="1"
                    @INC:
                    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
                    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
                    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
                    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0
                    /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl
                    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
                    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.0
                    /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl
                    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi
                    /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.0
                    .

                    3. This is the core dump trace: (if you get a core dump):

                    no core dump

                    This report was generated by /usr/bin/mp2bug on Thu Oct 2 23:47:18 2003 GMT.

                    -------------8<---------- End Bug Report --------------8<----------
                    Matisse Enzer
                    Doodlelab Inc.
                    415-925-5294 ext. 212 (office)
                    415-225-6703 (mobile)
                  • Matisse Enzer

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003
                        Matisse Enzer wrote:

                        > -------------8<---------- Start Bug Report ------------8<----------
                        > 1. Problem Description:
                        >
                        > I tried:
                        > my $scheme = APR::URI->parse($r->pool, $r->uri)->scheme;
                        >
                        > and it didn't seem to work. My server is on port 9000 but I got nothing
                        > in $scheme.

                        Ai, my bad, sorry about that. I *should* have tested that.

                        I don't think you can get the request's scheme, because the server doesn't
                        know it. it's only used by the client. The server gets only the request URI.

                        You can get the scheme only if you know the whole thing, e.g.:

                        APR::URI->parse($r->pool, "http://localhost:9000/foo/bar")->scheme;

                        You can check what's the currently used protocol with $r->protocol, but it'll
                        be the same with http:// and https://. CGI.pm does:

                        sub protocol {
                        local($^W)=0;
                        my $self = shift;
                        return 'https' if uc($self->https()) eq 'ON';
                        return 'https' if $self->server_port == 443;
                        my $prot = $self->server_protocol;
                        my($protocol,$version) = split('/',$prot);
                        return "\L$protocol\E";
                        }

                        so you can either use CGI.pm or copy it away.

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003
                          Stas Bekman wrote:
                          > Matisse Enzer wrote:
                          >

                          >> -------------8<---------- Start Bug Report ------------8<----------
                          >> 1. Problem Description:
                          >>
                          >> I tried:
                          >> my $scheme = APR::URI->parse($r->pool, $r->uri)->scheme;
                          >>
                          >> and it didn't seem to work. My server is on port 9000 but I got
                          >> nothing in $scheme.
                          >

                          > Ai, my bad, sorry about that. I *should* have tested that.
                          >
                          > I don't think you can get the request's scheme, because the server
                          > doesn't know it. it's only used by the client. The server gets only the
                          > request URI.

                          there was a way to do this in mod_perl 1.0. I'll take a look tomorrow and
                          see if the same functionality was copied over.

                          --Geoff
                        • Matisse Enzer
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 2, 2003
                            Thanks,

                            I'll use the

                            return 'https' if uc($self->https()) eq 'ON';

                            approach.

                            At 5:06 PM -0700 10/2/03, Stas Bekman wrote:
                            >Matisse Enzer wrote:
                            >>

                            >>-------------8<---------- Start Bug Report ------------8<----------
                            >>1. Problem Description:
                            >>
                            >>I tried:
                            >> my $scheme = APR::URI->parse($r->pool, $r->uri)->scheme;
                            >>
                            >>and it didn't seem to work. My server is on port 9000 but I got
                            >>nothing in $scheme.
                            >
                            >Ai, my bad, sorry about that. I *should* have tested that.
                            >
                            >I don't think you can get the request's scheme, because the server
                            >doesn't know it. it's only used by the client. The server gets only
                            >the request URI.
                            >
                            >You can get the scheme only if you know the whole thing, e.g.:
                            >
                            > APR::URI->parse($r->pool, "http://localhost:9000/foo/bar")->scheme;
                            >
                            >You can check what's the currently used protocol with $r->protocol,
                            >but it'll be the same with http:// and https://. CGI.pm does:
                            >
                            >sub protocol {
                            > local($^W)=0;
                            > my $self = shift;
                            > return 'https' if uc($self->https()) eq 'ON';
                            > return 'https' if $self->server_port == 443;
                            > my $prot = $self->server_protocol;
                            > my($protocol,$version) = split('/',$prot);
                            > return "\L$protocol\E";
                            >}
                            >
                            >so you can either use CGI.pm or copy it away.

                            >Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another mod_perl Hacker
                            >http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide ---> http://perl.apache.org
                            >mailto:stas@... http://use.perl.org http://apacheweek.com
                            >http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org http://ticketmaster.com