Re: [MP1] memory leak when PerlSetupEnv is enabled (win32)

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2003
      Stefan Thuering wrote:
      > Platform: NT4 SP6, Apache 1.3.27/28, mod_perl 1.28, perl 5.6.1
      > Scenario: When running any script (print hello...) multiple times memory
      > usage of apache slowly grows (maybe 400byte/request)
      >
      > Apache Setting:
      > ScriptAlias /perl/ "E:/Apache/cgi-bin/"
      > <Location /perl>
      > SetHandler perl-script
      > PerlHandler Apache::Registry
      > #PerlSetupEnv Off
      > Options ExecCGI
      > </Location>
      >
      > I found out that if you set "PerlSetupEnv Off" then the leaking stops!!!
      > But I also lose the Apache ENV vars :(

      You don't lose Apache ENV vars, you loose mod_cgi-emulation ENV vars. You can
      still access them via various mod_perl methods. You could also try to call
      $r->subprocess_env, at the very beginning of your handlers/scripts, but I
      don't know if it's going to make any difference leakage-wise.

      > --- quote from mod_perl documentation ---
      > The last thing Apache::Registry does, is emulation of mod_cgi's
      > environment variables, like $ENV{SERVER_NAME}, $ENV{REMOTE_USER} and so
      > on. PerlSetupEnv Off disables this feature which saves some memory and
      > CPU cycles.

      That was incorrect information. Apache::Registry doesn't do that. 'SetHandler
      perl-script' does that. It "was" because I've just removed that para from
      intro.pod ;)

      > I think mod_perl generates the ENV hash every time a script is run and
      > doesn't free up the memory afterwards...
      >
      > This person seems to have the same problem:
      > http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=3EE62CB3.935AD041%40news.com
      > (win2k mod_perl 1.27_01 apache 1.3.27)

      This is quite possible, since I doubt mod_perl 1.0 is used much in production
      on windows, so bugs are more than likely. Someone on winFU needs to debug
      this. Alternatively try mod_perl 2.0, which is scalable on winFU.