Re: improving the forking guide

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 26, 2003
      [making the doc issue a separate thread ]

      > Stas Bekman wrote:
      >
      >>>Understand re: cleanup_for_exec
      >>>
      >>>I read the Avoiding Zombies section and $SIG{CHLD}
      >
      > = 'IGNORE' didn't work
      >
      >>>for me. I realize that I didn't try the waitpid()
      >
      > example after the fork.
      >
      >>I suppose this varies from OS to OS :(
      >>
      >>Was your suggestion different from the one in the
      >
      > guide?
      >
      > Yes - it's the only one I could get to work w/ Solaris
      > 8. It seems to be the POSIX options that do it. Also,
      > my version will find any child and reap if ready,
      > whereas the guide will only collect the specified pid.
      > I'm doing a fork and exec, then the exec'd process
      > hangs around for 1-10 minutes so I have to be able to
      > reap anything that needs reaping.

      Can you please post a pod patch to that document to include this Solaris
      specific information? You can get the modperl-docs cvs repository from:
      http://perl.apache.org/download/docs.html

      Also it'd be very helpful to port that mp1-specific forking from mod_perl
      information to mp2 docs. As you are probably one of the very first people to
      mess with spawning processes under mp2, you are probably the best person to do
      the porting ;)