Re: Custom Log files Under MP2

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 2 1:15 PM
      Tofu Optimist wrote:
      > I would like to append a small line of log information
      > to a file on certain apache2 requests. For this
      > application, I am very concerned about speed, so i'm
      > looking for fast simple solutions.
      >
      > I could stuff the information in the error log as per
      > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/api/Apache/Log.html,
      > and parse it out later off-line, but I'd prefer to
      > reserve the error log for errors.
      >
      > I could stuff the information in the access log, and
      > likewise pull out the data later off-line: how might I
      > get data to the access_log?
      >
      > The most natural place to append the information would
      > be a dedicated file. I've never written to a file
      > from mod_perl, and don't know the correct idiom
      > (flock? etc?) to do so.
      >
      > I'd appreciate any pointers to recipes, modules, etc.
      > to show me the correct (fast, reliable) way to append
      > to a file under MP2.

      You may want to spend some time with the mp2 docs first.
      http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/

      Your particular question is answered at these locations:
      http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#PerlLogHandler
      http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/server.html#Startup_Phases_Demonstration_Module

      As for flocking, I prefer to do that, even though there are claims that short
      writes are atomic. It's probably not the same on all io implementations.

      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 2 3:55 PM
        Tofu Optimist wrote:
        > I would like to append a small line of log information
        > to a file on certain apache2 requests. For this
        > application, I am very concerned about speed, so i'm
        > looking for fast simple solutions.

        if speed is the concern, just stick to apache's native logging mechanism.

        see recipe 16.5, "Conditional Logging" in the mod_perl developer's cookbook:

        http://www.modperlcookbook.org/chapters/ch16.pdf

        in mod_perl 2.0, it's still $r->subprocess_env(), but you need to load
        APR::Table first.

        HTH

      • Tofu Optimist
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 11 3:46 AM
          Specifically,
          I'd like to log certain image file requests (all files
          with .jpg, .gif, and .png extensions) to a custom log,

          image_log, logging IP, file, time, status, bytes,
          referer, cookies, etc.

          I care about speed here.

          Would you suggest a native logging
          http://www.modperlcookbook.org/chapters/ch16.pdf

          or take this route
          http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#PerlLogHandler

          If the former, would you have any sample
          config code to illustrate?

          Thanks!

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 11 5:41 AM
            Tofu Optimist wrote:
            > Specifically,
            > I'd like to log certain image file requests (all files
            > with .jpg, .gif, and .png extensions) to a custom log,
            >
            > image_log, logging IP, file, time, status, bytes,
            > referer, cookies, etc.
            >
            > I care about speed here.
            >
            > Would you suggest a native logging
            > http://www.modperlcookbook.org/chapters/ch16.pdf
            >
            > or take this route
            > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/handlers/http.html#PerlLogHandler

            native Apache routines, written in C, will always be faster, so if you can
            get the same functionality from native routines use them. it's the
            flexibility mod_perl offers that makes it special :)

            > If the former, would you have any sample
            > config code to illustrate?

            I think the conditional logging recipe is pretty descriptive. see also the
            CustomLog directive description in the apache documentation

            http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/directives.html

            FilesMatch might also help.

            --Geoff