Re: collecting unique client (computer) specific info?

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2003
      On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 13:24, kfr wrote:
      > Any one out there know of some way, either from java or SLL or some other
      > combination, to collect any kind of machine specific information from a web
      > client logging into a site with SSL (Apache/mod_perl mod_ssl)? I need to
      > find some way to uniquely identify a 'machine', like possible grabbing it's
      > mac address would be ideal but obviously that can't be done ...
      >
      > Any clues?

      Perhaps you could explain what you're trying to do?

    • Issac Goldstand
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
        Right now Apache::Request is in the final proting stages... Until it's done,
        jjust request Apache::Request with CGI

        Issac

          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
            Any one out there know of some way, either from java or SLL or some other
            combination, to collect any kind of machine specific information from a web
            client logging into a site with SSL (Apache/mod_perl mod_ssl)? I need to
            find some way to uniquely identify a 'machine', like possible grabbing it's
            mac address would be ideal but obviously that can't be done ...

            Any clues?

            Kirk

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
              Yes, sorry. I have a site that allows my customers to become members via
              monthly credit card subscription. The problem is we've been getting
              fraudulent credit card transactions and need some mechanism to detect a user
              who is a repeat offender so I can detect them trying to submit yet another
              bogus CC for access. The only way that I'm aware of to do that is to grab
              something specific to that piece of hardware or computer. Does that make
              sense? ... impossible? ... or is there a better way?

            • Tofu Optimist
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                Hi folks --

                I'm using MP2, and I am trying to avoid loading CGI
                for 2 reasons:

                (1) To save memory.

                (2) When I do load CGI, it fails at the "require
                Apache" (line 161), and I'd prefer not to edit CGI on
                my server. Uck.

                Given I'm not loading CGI, how can I determine
                self_url() in MP2?

                I tried something like this
                <code>
                my $self_uri = APR::URI->parse($r->pool,
                $r->uri)->unparse;
                $r->headers_out->set(Location => $self_uri .
                "&r2=1");
                return Apache::REDIRECT;
                </code>
                but this gives me a partial URL, not the full
                expansion.

                Thanks for any assistance.

                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                  On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 14:23, kfr wrote:
                  > Yes, sorry. I have a site that allows my customers to become members via
                  > monthly credit card subscription. The problem is we've been getting
                  > fraudulent credit card transactions and need some mechanism to detect a user
                  > who is a repeat offender so I can detect them trying to submit yet another
                  > bogus CC for access.

                  Okay, that makes sense. Unfortunatey, there's no foolproof way that I'm
                  aware of. To begin with, you can try using a cookie. This will stop
                  anyone who is not very technical. Beyond that, I have heard that
                  there's some kind of unique identifier in SSL that you may be able to
                  use. I know this because the f5 big/ip load balancers used it. Check
                  into that.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                    Tofu Optimist wrote:
                    > Hi folks --
                    >
                    > I'm using MP2, and I am trying to avoid loading CGI
                    > for 2 reasons:
                    >
                    > (1) To save memory.
                    >
                    > (2) When I do load CGI, it fails at the "require
                    > Apache" (line 161), and I'd prefer not to edit CGI on
                    > my server. Uck.
                    >
                    > Given I'm not loading CGI, how can I determine
                    > self_url() in MP2?
                    >
                    > I tried something like this
                    > <code>
                    > my $self_uri = APR::URI->parse($r->pool,
                    > $r->uri)->unparse;
                    > $r->headers_out->set(Location => $self_uri .
                    > "&r2=1");
                    > return Apache::REDIRECT;
                    > </code>
                    > but this gives me a partial URL, not the full
                    > expansion.

                    $r->construct_url;

                    From the C docs:

                    /* Used for constructing self-referencing URLs, and things like SERVER_PORT,
                    * and SERVER_NAME.
                    */
                    /**
                    * build a fully qualified URL from the uri and information in the request rec
                    * @param p The pool to allocate the URL from
                    * @param uri The path to the requested file
                    * @param r The current request
                    * @return A fully qualified URL
                    * @deffunc char *ap_construct_url(apr_pool_t *p, const char *uri,
                    request_rec *r)
                    */
                    AP_DECLARE(char *) ap_construct_url(apr_pool_t *p, const char *uri,
                    request_rec *r);

                  • Tofu Optimist
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                      Thanks. How do I call construct_uri?

                      Neither

                      my $uri = APR::URI->parse($r->pool,
                      $r->construct_url($r->pool, $r->uri, $r));
                      $uri .= "r2=1";
                      $r->headers_out->set(Location => $uri .
                      "&r2=1");
                      return Apache::REDIRECT;

                      nor

                      my $uri = APR::URI->parse($r->pool,
                      $r->construct_url);
                      $uri .= "r2=1";
                      $r->headers_out->set(Location => $uri .
                      "&r2=1");
                      return Apache::REDIRECT;

                      works.

                      Thanks Stas for all your patience and help!

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                        Tofu Optimist wrote:
                        > Thanks. How do I call construct_uri?

                        You just call $r->construct_url. In your example that would be:

                        $r->headers_out->set(Location => $r->construct_url . "&r2=1");

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                          [please keep the thread on the list!]

                          Tofu Optimist wrote:
                          > :(
                          >
                          > [Tue Sep 02 15:22:53 2003] [error] [client
                          > 192.168.1.2] Can't locate object method
                          > "construct_url" via package "Apache::RequestRec" at
                          > /home/xxxxxxxx/mod-perl/Redirect.pm line 59.
                          >
                          > Do I need to load it or something?

                          in mp2 you need to load modules that contain the methods that you want to use:

                          % lookup construct_url
                          To use method 'construct_url' add:
                          use Apache::URI ();

                          See:
                          http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/porting.html#Porting_a_Perl_Module_to_Run_under_mod_perl_2_0

                          >>You just call $r->construct_url. In your example
                          >>that would be:
                          >>
                          >> $r->headers_out->set(Location =>
                          >>$r->construct_url . "&r2=1");

                          >>Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another
                          >>mod_perl Hacker
                          >>http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide --->
                          >>http://perl.apache.org
                          >>mailto:stas@... http://use.perl.org
                          >>http://apacheweek.com
                          >>http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org
                          >>http://ticketmaster.com
                          >>

                          >>--
                          >>Reporting bugs: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/

                          > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

                        • Roger Davenport
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                            Apologies..  yes, this was meant for the list!!

                            Roger

                            On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 14:29, Perrin Harkins wrote:
                            Did you mean to send this to the list?  It only went to me.

                            On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 15:23, Roger Davenport wrote:
                            > The session ID only lasts a certain time.. anywhere from a couple of
                            > minutes to a couple of days (varies widely).  SSLv2 is 16 bytes, and
                            > SSLv3/TLS is anywhere from 1 to 32 bytes.  The session ID is
                            > essentially a value which saves the client and server from having to
                            > handshake every time.  But if you get a matching value, chances are
                            > that you have the same machine if it's within a reasonable amount of
                            > time.
                            >
                            > Roger
                            >
                            > On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 13:40, Perrin Harkins wrote:
                            > > On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 14:23, kfr wrote:
                            > > > Yes, sorry.  I have a site that allows my customers to become members via
                            > > > monthly credit card subscription.  The problem is we've been getting
                            > > > fraudulent credit card transactions and need some mechanism to detect a user
                            > > > who is a repeat offender so I can detect them trying to submit yet another
                            > > > bogus CC for access.
                            > >
                            > > Okay, that makes sense.  Unfortunatey, there's no foolproof way that I'm
                            > > aware of.  To begin with, you can try using a cookie.  This will stop
                            > > anyone who is not very technical.  Beyond that, I have heard that
                            > > there's some kind of unique identifier in SSL that you may be able to
                            > > use.  I know this because the f5 big/ip load balancers used it.  Check
                            > > into that.
                            > >
                            > > - Perrin
                          • kfr
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                              Anyone know how to capture the UUID from a request? I've been looking all over the place and cant seem to find any reference to it anywhere ...

                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 12:22, kfr wrote:
                                > Anyone know how to capture the UUID from a request?

                                According to the mod_ssl manual, it is stored in an environment variable
                                called SSL_SESSION_ID.

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                  Hi there,

                                  On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, kfr wrote:

                                  > Anyone know how to capture the UUID from a request?

                                  What makes you think there'll be one in there?

                                  > I've been looking all over the place and cant seem to find any
                                  > reference to it anywhere ...

                                  Try Google?

                                  73,
                                  Ged.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                    kfr wrote:
                                    > Anyone know how to capture the UUID from a request? I've been looking all
                                    > over the place and cant seem to find any reference to it anywhere ...

                                    You mean, you want to generate one? in mod_perl2/apr it'd be:

                                    use APR::UUID:
                                    my $uuid = APR::UUID->new->format;

                                    or from the command line (assuming that you are using the latest cvs):

                                    perl -MApache2 -MAPR -MAPR::UUID -le 'print APR::UUID->new->format'

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                      hi

                                      ( 03.09.03 10:42 -0700 ) Stas Bekman:
                                      > You mean, you want to generate one? in mod_perl2/apr it'd be:

                                      is there an equivalent in mod_perl1?

                                      --
                                      \js

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                        On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 15:03, John Saylor wrote:
                                        > is there an equivalent in mod_perl1?

                                        Use Data::UUID from CPAN or mod_unique_id. Note that this (and the
                                        mod_perl 2 approach Stas posted) has nothing to do with identifying the
                                        actual client, which is what the original question on this thread was
                                        about.

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                          John Saylor wrote:
                                          > hi
                                          >
                                          > ( 03.09.03 10:42 -0700 ) Stas Bekman:
                                          >
                                          >>You mean, you want to generate one? in mod_perl2/apr it'd be:
                                          >

                                          > is there an equivalent in mod_perl1?

                                          I'm sure there are a few modules on CPAN that you can use. Again I'm talking
                                          about generating UUD, not extracting the SSL one. Perrin has replied that you
                                          need $ENV{SSL_SESSION_ID} for the SSL one.

                                        • kfr
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                            I'm able to see it now ... had to re-compile my server with mod_ssl (not
                                            apache-ssl) and I can see the SSL_SESSION_ID. So I take it there's no way
                                            to decrypt that and grab anything useful out of it other than it's one time
                                            uniqueness? The doc's state its a combo of a few different parameters
                                            (timestamp, hardware address, etc), which the hardware address is really
                                            what I'm after.

                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                              Hi there,

                                              On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, kfr wrote:

                                              > had to re-compile my server with mod_ssl

                                              :)

                                              > the hardware address is really what I'm after.

                                              What hardware?

                                              73,
                                              Ged.