Re: collecting unique client (computer) specific info?

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 1, 2003
      On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 13:24, kfr wrote:
      > Any one out there know of some way, either from java or SLL or some other
      > combination, to collect any kind of machine specific information from a web
      > client logging into a site with SSL (Apache/mod_perl mod_ssl)? I need to
      > find some way to uniquely identify a 'machine', like possible grabbing it's
      > mac address would be ideal but obviously that can't be done ...
      >
      > Any clues?

      Perhaps you could explain what you're trying to do?

    • Tofu Optimist
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
        Hello --

        I'm moving a module from MP1 to MP2.
        What is the MP2 equivalent of this code?
        Thanks!

        <code>
        my $q = Apache::Request->new($r,
        POST_MAX => 10 * 1024,
        DISABLE_UPLOADS => 1);
        $q->no_cache(1);
        </code>

      • Issac Goldstand
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
          Right now Apache::Request is in the final proting stages... Until it's done,
          jjust request Apache::Request with CGI

          Issac

          > What is the MP2 equivalent of this code?
          > Thanks!
          >
          > <code>
          > my $q = Apache::Request->new($r,
          > POST_MAX => 10 * 1024,
          > DISABLE_UPLOADS => 1);
          > $q->no_cache(1);
          > </code>

        • Tofu Optimist

            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
              Any one out there know of some way, either from java or SLL or some other
              combination, to collect any kind of machine specific information from a web
              client logging into a site with SSL (Apache/mod_perl mod_ssl)? I need to
              find some way to uniquely identify a 'machine', like possible grabbing it's
              mac address would be ideal but obviously that can't be done ...

              Any clues?

              Kirk

              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                Yes, sorry. I have a site that allows my customers to become members via
                monthly credit card subscription. The problem is we've been getting
                fraudulent credit card transactions and need some mechanism to detect a user
                who is a repeat offender so I can detect them trying to submit yet another
                bogus CC for access. The only way that I'm aware of to do that is to grab
                something specific to that piece of hardware or computer. Does that make
                sense? ... impossible? ... or is there a better way?

              • Tofu Optimist
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                  Hi folks --

                  I'm using MP2, and I am trying to avoid loading CGI
                  for 2 reasons:

                  (1) To save memory.

                  (2) When I do load CGI, it fails at the "require
                  Apache" (line 161), and I'd prefer not to edit CGI on
                  my server. Uck.

                  Given I'm not loading CGI, how can I determine
                  self_url() in MP2?

                  I tried something like this
                  <code>
                  my $self_uri = APR::URI->parse($r->pool,
                  $r->uri)->unparse;
                  $r->headers_out->set(Location => $self_uri .
                  "&r2=1");
                  return Apache::REDIRECT;
                  </code>
                  but this gives me a partial URL, not the full
                  expansion.

                  Thanks for any assistance.

                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                    On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 14:23, kfr wrote:
                    > Yes, sorry. I have a site that allows my customers to become members via
                    > monthly credit card subscription. The problem is we've been getting
                    > fraudulent credit card transactions and need some mechanism to detect a user
                    > who is a repeat offender so I can detect them trying to submit yet another
                    > bogus CC for access.

                    Okay, that makes sense. Unfortunatey, there's no foolproof way that I'm
                    aware of. To begin with, you can try using a cookie. This will stop
                    anyone who is not very technical. Beyond that, I have heard that
                    there's some kind of unique identifier in SSL that you may be able to
                    use. I know this because the f5 big/ip load balancers used it. Check
                    into that.

                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                      Tofu Optimist wrote:
                      > Hi folks --
                      >
                      > I'm using MP2, and I am trying to avoid loading CGI
                      > for 2 reasons:
                      >
                      > (1) To save memory.
                      >
                      > (2) When I do load CGI, it fails at the "require
                      > Apache" (line 161), and I'd prefer not to edit CGI on
                      > my server. Uck.
                      >
                      > Given I'm not loading CGI, how can I determine
                      > self_url() in MP2?
                      >
                      > I tried something like this
                      > <code>
                      > my $self_uri = APR::URI->parse($r->pool,
                      > $r->uri)->unparse;
                      > $r->headers_out->set(Location => $self_uri .
                      > "&r2=1");
                      > return Apache::REDIRECT;
                      > </code>
                      > but this gives me a partial URL, not the full
                      > expansion.

                      $r->construct_url;

                      From the C docs:

                      /* Used for constructing self-referencing URLs, and things like SERVER_PORT,
                      * and SERVER_NAME.
                      */
                      /**
                      * build a fully qualified URL from the uri and information in the request rec
                      * @param p The pool to allocate the URL from
                      * @param uri The path to the requested file
                      * @param r The current request
                      * @return A fully qualified URL
                      * @deffunc char *ap_construct_url(apr_pool_t *p, const char *uri,
                      request_rec *r)
                      */
                      AP_DECLARE(char *) ap_construct_url(apr_pool_t *p, const char *uri,
                      request_rec *r);

                    • Tofu Optimist
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                        Thanks. How do I call construct_uri?

                        Neither

                        my $uri = APR::URI->parse($r->pool,
                        $r->construct_url($r->pool, $r->uri, $r));
                        $uri .= "r2=1";
                        $r->headers_out->set(Location => $uri .
                        "&r2=1");
                        return Apache::REDIRECT;

                        nor

                        my $uri = APR::URI->parse($r->pool,
                        $r->construct_url);
                        $uri .= "r2=1";
                        $r->headers_out->set(Location => $uri .
                        "&r2=1");
                        return Apache::REDIRECT;

                        works.

                        Thanks Stas for all your patience and help!

                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                          Tofu Optimist wrote:
                          > Thanks. How do I call construct_uri?

                          You just call $r->construct_url. In your example that would be:

                          $r->headers_out->set(Location => $r->construct_url . "&r2=1");

                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                            [please keep the thread on the list!]

                            Tofu Optimist wrote:
                            > :(
                            >
                            > [Tue Sep 02 15:22:53 2003] [error] [client
                            > 192.168.1.2] Can't locate object method
                            > "construct_url" via package "Apache::RequestRec" at
                            > /home/xxxxxxxx/mod-perl/Redirect.pm line 59.
                            >
                            > Do I need to load it or something?

                            in mp2 you need to load modules that contain the methods that you want to use:

                            % lookup construct_url
                            To use method 'construct_url' add:
                            use Apache::URI ();

                            See:
                            http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/porting/porting.html#Porting_a_Perl_Module_to_Run_under_mod_perl_2_0

                            >>You just call $r->construct_url. In your example
                            >>that would be:
                            >>
                            >> $r->headers_out->set(Location =>
                            >>$r->construct_url . "&r2=1");

                            >>Stas Bekman JAm_pH ------> Just Another
                            >>mod_perl Hacker
                            >>http://stason.org/ mod_perl Guide --->
                            >>http://perl.apache.org
                            >>mailto:stas@... http://use.perl.org
                            >>http://apacheweek.com
                            >>http://modperlbook.org http://apache.org
                            >>http://ticketmaster.com
                            >>

                            >>--
                            >>Reporting bugs: http://perl.apache.org/bugs/

                            > http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

                          • Roger Davenport
                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 2, 2003
                              Apologies..  yes, this was meant for the list!!

                              Roger

                              On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 14:29, Perrin Harkins wrote:
                              Did you mean to send this to the list?  It only went to me.

                              On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 15:23, Roger Davenport wrote:
                              > The session ID only lasts a certain time.. anywhere from a couple of
                              > minutes to a couple of days (varies widely).  SSLv2 is 16 bytes, and
                              > SSLv3/TLS is anywhere from 1 to 32 bytes.  The session ID is
                              > essentially a value which saves the client and server from having to
                              > handshake every time.  But if you get a matching value, chances are
                              > that you have the same machine if it's within a reasonable amount of
                              > time.
                              >
                              > Roger
                              >
                              > On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 13:40, Perrin Harkins wrote:
                              > > On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 14:23, kfr wrote:
                              > > > Yes, sorry.  I have a site that allows my customers to become members via
                              > > > monthly credit card subscription.  The problem is we've been getting
                              > > > fraudulent credit card transactions and need some mechanism to detect a user
                              > > > who is a repeat offender so I can detect them trying to submit yet another
                              > > > bogus CC for access.
                              > >
                              > > Okay, that makes sense.  Unfortunatey, there's no foolproof way that I'm
                              > > aware of.  To begin with, you can try using a cookie.  This will stop
                              > > anyone who is not very technical.  Beyond that, I have heard that
                              > > there's some kind of unique identifier in SSL that you may be able to
                              > > use.  I know this because the f5 big/ip load balancers used it.  Check
                              > > into that.
                              > >
                              > > - Perrin
                            • kfr
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                Anyone know how to capture the UUID from a request? I've been looking all over the place and cant seem to find any reference to it anywhere ...

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                  On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 12:22, kfr wrote:
                                  > Anyone know how to capture the UUID from a request?

                                  According to the mod_ssl manual, it is stored in an environment variable
                                  called SSL_SESSION_ID.

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                    Hi there,

                                    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, kfr wrote:

                                    > Anyone know how to capture the UUID from a request?

                                    What makes you think there'll be one in there?

                                    > I've been looking all over the place and cant seem to find any
                                    > reference to it anywhere ...

                                    Try Google?

                                    73,
                                    Ged.

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                      kfr wrote:
                                      > Anyone know how to capture the UUID from a request? I've been looking all
                                      > over the place and cant seem to find any reference to it anywhere ...

                                      You mean, you want to generate one? in mod_perl2/apr it'd be:

                                      use APR::UUID:
                                      my $uuid = APR::UUID->new->format;

                                      or from the command line (assuming that you are using the latest cvs):

                                      perl -MApache2 -MAPR -MAPR::UUID -le 'print APR::UUID->new->format'

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                        hi

                                        ( 03.09.03 10:42 -0700 ) Stas Bekman:
                                        > You mean, you want to generate one? in mod_perl2/apr it'd be:

                                        is there an equivalent in mod_perl1?

                                        --
                                        \js

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                          On Wed, 2003-09-03 at 15:03, John Saylor wrote:
                                          > is there an equivalent in mod_perl1?

                                          Use Data::UUID from CPAN or mod_unique_id. Note that this (and the
                                          mod_perl 2 approach Stas posted) has nothing to do with identifying the
                                          actual client, which is what the original question on this thread was
                                          about.

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                            John Saylor wrote:
                                            > hi
                                            >
                                            > ( 03.09.03 10:42 -0700 ) Stas Bekman:
                                            >
                                            >>You mean, you want to generate one? in mod_perl2/apr it'd be:
                                            >

                                            > is there an equivalent in mod_perl1?

                                            I'm sure there are a few modules on CPAN that you can use. Again I'm talking
                                            about generating UUD, not extracting the SSL one. Perrin has replied that you
                                            need $ENV{SSL_SESSION_ID} for the SSL one.

                                          • kfr
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                              I'm able to see it now ... had to re-compile my server with mod_ssl (not
                                              apache-ssl) and I can see the SSL_SESSION_ID. So I take it there's no way
                                              to decrypt that and grab anything useful out of it other than it's one time
                                              uniqueness? The doc's state its a combo of a few different parameters
                                              (timestamp, hardware address, etc), which the hardware address is really
                                              what I'm after.

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 3, 2003
                                                Hi there,

                                                On Wed, 3 Sep 2003, kfr wrote:

                                                > had to re-compile my server with mod_ssl

                                                :)

                                                > the hardware address is really what I'm after.

                                                What hardware?

                                                73,
                                                Ged.