Re: Current directory

    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
      On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 15:46, Jean-Sebastien Guay wrote:
      > I see only disadvantages to having to specify absolute paths in both
      > these cases. For one, I have another web server running on port 8080,
      > which I use to test my scripts on, and whose DocumentRoot is
      > D:/htdocs-dev. So if I had to manually change the paths each time I
      > copied files over from the development DocumentRoot to the production
      > one, I would go crazy.

      There are dozens of possible answers to this. I typically put things
      relative to the web server root, which is described here:
      http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/api/Apache.html#Apache_E_gt_server_root_relative____relative_path___

      Another approach would be to look up the directory that your script is
      in and either chdir to that or pass it to your modules and have them use
      it.

      There are also common approaches like passing some kind of application
      root either in an environment variable or in httpd.conf with a
      PerlSetVar.

      - Perrin
    • Jean-Sebastien Guay
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
        Hi Perrin,

        Thanks for both your answers. Indeed, for the other question, I was using
        CGI 2.91 instead of 2.93 (because that one isn't yet available for Perl 5.8
        via PPM). I'll find a way to upgrade it.

        > There are dozens of possible answers to this.
        > There are also common approaches like passing some kind of application
        > root either in an environment variable or in httpd.conf with a
        > PerlSetVar.

        Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. Even if I put the PerlSetVar
        statement before my PerlRequire statement like so:

        PerlSetVar SCRIPT_ROOT "D:/htdocs"
        PerlRequire "D:/htdocs/_startup.pl"

        the module, which is then loaded from _startup.pl, sees only undef when I
        try to print $ENV{SCRIPT_ROOT}; ... I also tried to do this right before
        use()ing my module:

        $ENV{SCRIPT_ROOT} = 'D:/htdocs';

        and it gives the same result. Could the problem come from the fact that
        _startup.pl is trying to load the module before Apache is actually finished
        could cause this?

        Thanks,

        J-S

        Jean-Sébastien Guay jean_seb@...
        Software Developer, Hybride http://www.hybride.com
        Piedmont, Québec, Canada
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
          On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 16:59, Jean-Sebastien Guay wrote:
          > Unfortunately, this doesn't seem to work. Even if I put the PerlSetVar
          > statement before my PerlRequire statement like so:
          >
          > PerlSetVar SCRIPT_ROOT "D:/htdocs"
          > PerlRequire "D:/htdocs/_startup.pl"
          >
          > the module, which is then loaded from _startup.pl, sees only undef when I
          > try to print $ENV{SCRIPT_ROOT};

          You're thinking of PerlSetEnv. PerlSetVar values are retrieved
          differently. Take a look at this:
          http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/config.html#PerlSetEnv_and_PerlPassEnv

          Note that you can also just do this:
          <Perl>
          $MyConfig::SCRIPT_ROOT = 'foo';
          </Perl>

          And then in your module:
          my $root = $MyConfig::SCRIPT_ROOT;

          - Perrin
        • Randy Kobes
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 1, 2003
            On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Jean-Sebastien Guay wrote:

            > Hi Perrin,
            >
            > Thanks for both your answers. Indeed, for the other question, I was using
            > CGI 2.91 instead of 2.93 (because that one isn't yet available for Perl 5.8
            > via PPM). I'll find a way to upgrade it.

            One way is to configure the CPAN module:
            C:\> perl -MCPAN -e shell
            which, the first time you invoke it, will lead you through
            a dialogue. You can accept most of the defaults, except
            for the list of CPAN mirrors to use. Then, at the
            CPAN.pm shell prompt, you can say
            cpan> install CGI

            Before doing this, you'll need Microsoft's nmake utility;
            a link on where to get it appears in the Win32 configuration
            page at http://perl.apache.org/.

            best regards,
            randy
          • Jean-Sebastien Guay
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 4, 2003
              > One way is to configure the CPAN module:
              > C:\> perl -MCPAN -e shell
              > which, the first time you invoke it, will lead you through
              > a dialogue. You can accept most of the defaults, except
              > for the list of CPAN mirrors to use. Then, at the
              > CPAN.pm shell prompt, you can say
              > cpan> install CGI

              Thanks for answering Randy, but I got a working PPM module of CGI for HP-UX
              and modified the module's description files to make PPM think it's for
              Win32. Since it's just Perl code, and not XS, should work. If anyone wants
              this PPM, I can make it available. Though it would be more useful on a known
              repository.

              But I still get the same message...

              > [Mon Aug 04 09:31:57 2003] [error] Global $r object is not available. Set:
              > PerlOptions +GlobalRequest
              > in httpd.conf at D:/Perl/lib/CGI.pm line 307.
              > Compilation failed in require at D:/htdocs/_startup.pl line 33.

              Is there anything else I can check other than the CGI.pm version?
            • Jean-Sebastien Guay
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 4, 2003
                BTW,

                > perl -MCGI -e "print $CGI::VERSION;"
                2.98

                J-S

                Message 7 of 15 , Aug 4, 2003
                  On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 09:32, Jean-Sebastien Guay wrote:
                  > But I still get the same message...
                  >
                  > > [Mon Aug 04 09:31:57 2003] [error] Global $r object is not available. Set:
                  > > PerlOptions +GlobalRequest
                  > > in httpd.conf at D:/Perl/lib/CGI.pm line 307.
                  > > Compilation failed in require at D:/htdocs/_startup.pl line 33.
                  >
                  > Is there anything else I can check other than the CGI.pm version?

                  First, check your conf file to be sure you have this turned on. There
                  are docs related to it here:
                  http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#C_GlobalRequest_

                  You can test it by writing a little handler (or Registry script) that
                  calls Apache->request(). That should return an Apache::RequestRec
                  object if all is well. If it doesn't, you may have an old mod_perl 2
                  build or you may have found a bug.

                  If you can't get that to work, there is also the direct approach which
                  is to pass a RequestRec object to CGI.pm when you call the new()
                  method. Registry scripts get a RequestRec object passed to them as
                  their first param, so you can just shift it into a variable (usually
                  called $r) and pass it as CGI->new($r).

                  - Perrin
                • Jean-Sebastien Guay
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 4, 2003
                    Perrin,

                    > First, check your conf file to be sure you have this turned on.  There
                    > are docs related to it here:

                    http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/config/config.html#C_GlobalRequest_
                    The docs also state that unless it's explicitly turned _off_, it's on by default. But I turned it on anyways before I sent my last message. Here's the relevant section of my httpd.conf:

                    ________________ begin ________________

                    LoadFile "D:/Perl/bin/perl58.dll"

                    PerlModule Apache2
                    PerlSetEnv SCRIPT_ROOT "D:/htdocs"
                    PerlRequire "D:/htdocs/_startup.pl"

                      <Files ~ "\.cgi$">
                         SetHandler perl-script
                         PerlResponseHandler ModPerl::Registry
                         Options +ExecCGI
                         PerlOptions +ParseHeaders +GlobalRequest
                      </Files>
                    ________________ end ________________

                    And here's my _startup.pl script:

                    ________________ begin ________________

                    #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    # Default module inclusions as per the Apache
                    # mod_perl installation instructions
                    use Apache2 ();
                    use ModPerl::Util ();
                    use Apache::RequestRec ();
                    use Apache::RequestIO ();
                    use Apache::RequestUtil ();
                    use Apache::Server ();
                    use Apache::ServerUtil ();
                    use Apache::Connection ();
                    use Apache::Log ();
                    use Apache::Const -compile => ':common';
                    use APR::Const -compile => ':common';
                    use APR::Table ();
                    use Apache::compat ();
                    use ModPerl::Registry ();
                    use CGI ();

                    #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    # General modules
                    use Time::localtime;
                    use Data::Dumper;
                    use Date::Calc qw(:all);

                    #-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    # Hybride modules

                    # Add the top-level directory for the modules into the module search path.
                    use lib qw(D:/htdocs);
                    # ... ... The modules I want to pre-load are currently all commented out, until
                    # ... ... I get a running server to test them one at a time...

                    ________________ end ________________

                    > You can test it by writing a little handler (or Registry script) that
                    > calls Apache->request().  That should
                    return an Apache::RequestRec
                    > object if all is well.  If it doesn't,
                    you may have an old mod_perl 2
                    > build or you may have found a
                    bug.

                    > If you can't get that to work, there is also the direct
                    approach which
                    > is to pass a RequestRec object to CGI.pm when you call
                    the new()
                    > method.  Registry scripts get a RequestRec object passed
                    to them as
                    > their first param, so you can just shift it into a variable
                    (usually
                    > called $r) and pass it as CGI->new($r).
                    Doesn't all this require that I actually get a running Apache server first? The error message shows up when I try to start up the Apache service! As I understand it, the _startup.pl script tries to require() CGI.pm, which gives the error message. So I never get a running Apache instance to run any scripts in.

                    If there's anything else I can try, or if you see anything in the above config files, please let me know. Thanks for your patience on this...

                    Message 9 of 15 , Aug 4, 2003
                      On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 12:08, Jean-Sebastien Guay wrote:
                      > Doesn't all this require that I actually get a running Apache server
                      > first? The error message shows up when I try to start up the Apache
                      > service!

                      What? That shouldn't happen unless something is calling CGI->new in
                      your startup, which is a bad thing to do. Maybe some script you're

                      > As I understand it, the _startup.pl script tries to require() CGI.pm,
                      > which gives the error message.

                      What happens if you comment out CGI.pm from your startup.pl?

                      - Perrin
                    • Jean-Sebastien Guay
                      Message 10 of 15 , Aug 4, 2003
                        > On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 12:08, Jean-Sebastien Guay wrote:
                        > > Doesn't all this require that I actually get a running Apache server
                        > > first? The error message shows up when I try to start up the Apache
                        > > service!
                        >
                        > What? That shouldn't happen unless something is calling CGI->new in
                        > your startup, which is a bad thing to do. Maybe some script you're

                        You're absolutely right... Shame on me. The first homegrown module I was
                        importing did exactly that. It would try to get the user cookie right on
                        use(), which of course isn't very good practice. So I've modified it to get
                        it on first call of a certain method, and to return that same value on
                        subsequent calls.

                        Geez...

                        Now I have to transition all my scripts and other modules to mod_perl. Where
                        could I find examples of real-life conversion between normal CGI and
                        mod_perl? (Other than the perl.apache.org docs, which even though they're
                        great, lack real examples of what needs to be done for the really ugly types
                        of code...)

                        Thanks for bearing with me through this...