Re: Skipped Tests (was: handler help)

    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
      On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 10:31, Tofu Optimist wrote:
      > [1] How do I find *everything* on the box related to
      > perl / apache / mod_perl, both 1 and 2, both the RH
      > install and from my own ftp / tar / make fumblings?

      Well, you can run updatedb and then use locate to look for things like
      apachectl and Apache.pm.

      > [2] How do I uninstall everything from [1], so I can
      > start fresh?

      There is no simply way to uninstall software that you installed from
      source. There are things you can do though. First uninstall any apache
      or mod_perl rpms. Then you can clear out all the Apach::* modules from
      your perl lib, and delete all the web server stuff (which is typically
      installed under a single directory).

      > [3] I'd prefer to use modperl 2 and apache 2, as that
      > is what my ISP is using.

      Okay, then stop reading docs for mod_perl 1.

      > And I think I'd prefer to
      > use RH rpm to install them, as again, that is what my
      > ISP did.

      Don't do that. mod_perl 2 is basically in alpha right now and changes
      every day. If you plan to run it, you must keep on top of development.
      The rpms for mod_perl 2 are ancient at this point.

      > [4] Is a full uninstall enough, or should I reinstall
      > RH itself?

      The latter is more complete, but if you don't see any more httpd.conf
      files or Apache:: modules, you have probably cleaned things close
      enough.

      - Perrin
    • Ged Haywood
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
        Hi there,

        On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Tofu Optimist wrote:

        > Rather than /usr/src, I put in /home/aprk

        That's fine. But in future, tell us what you did, not some fiction... :)

        > Yes, you are correct. make && make test as non-root,
        > then install as root. (Odd, isn't it, the docs at
        > http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#A_Summary_of_a_Basic_mod_perl_Installation
        > don't make this explicit?)

        Yes, I always think that, but many of the Open Source packages neglect
        to mention this point every time it might be mentioned. I think authors
        expect it to be either very obvious or else perhaps unnecessary - some
        operating systems don't have a Unix-like permisisons system.

        > > Did you build your own Perl?
        >
        > Yes, 5.8.0

        Good. You might want to try 5.8.1 soon, but I don't think that's a
        problem here.

        > > Have you cleaned up any old Apaches and mod_perls?
        >
        > No. There are probably hordes of perls and hpptds and mod_perls
        > running amok on the box throwing wild parties; I don't know.

        Argh. The Apache2/modperl2 that comes with RH9 is junk. Get rid of
        it all. Use 'ps' to see what processes you have running and stop any
        httpd processes that you don't think you started. RH will start an
        Apache when it boots if you let it, I wish they wouldn't do that.
        Read 'man chkconfig'. Go into /etc/rc.d and look at the startup
        scripts. Use chkconfig to prevent Apache being started at boot so
        you can start it manually when you've built it. When you're happy
        that it's all as you wnt it, you might want to use chkconfig to set
        it up to start at boot again.

        > I think my next step should be to start over fresh.
        > Again.

        :)

        > [1] How do I find *everything* on the box related to
        > perl / apache / mod_perl, both 1 and 2, both the RH
        > install and from my own ftp / tar / make fumblings?
        > [2] How do I uninstall everything from [1], so I can
        > start fresh?

        Well RH should let you uninstall packages with rpm, but I don't use
        rpm and I tend to avoid RedHat so I don't know exactly how you'd do
        it. My preference would be to look in /usr/local/ and /var/lib to see
        if there are any apache things such as /usr/local/apache, and if so go
        in there as root and rm -rf the entire apache directory. That will
        perhaps throw away config files etc. you've been working on, you might
        want to make backups. When you've done that you might want to use
        slocate to build a database of filenames on your filesystem, then use
        it to search for any httpd or apachectl files that escaped. If so
        there'll probably be truckloads of files in there with them. Nukem.
        The source trees in your home directory don't matter. Nuke them too.
        You won't need to do anything about Perl on your system if you really
        did compile it from source yourself.

        > [3] I'd prefer to use modperl 2 and apache 2, as that is what my ISP
        > is using. And I think I'd prefer to use RH rpm to install them, as
        > again, that is what my ISP did. (Want my dev box to match the
        > outside box as much as possible). This newsgroup keeps mentioning
        > "build from sources," will I be going astray trying the rpm route?

        I hate RPMs. For Apache2/modperl2 you would be better off going to
        the CVS sources unless you can get hold of a very recent RPM, things
        are changing really fast in the mod_perl version 2 codebase. True, it
        could be important for your dev box to match your prod box, but when
        you figure out what's going on it will probably matter less - until
        you start doing really fancy stuff, when it will start to matter again.

        > [4] Is a full uninstall enough, or should I reinstall RH itself?

        No, don't reinstall the entire OS. Get used to what your system feels
        like and eventually you'll know what to leave alone and what to change.

        > mysteries to a newcomer.

        FWIW you sound like you're picking it up quickly.

        73,
        Ged.
      • Tofu Optimist
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
          Thanks Ged.

          > [4] Is a full uninstall enough, or should I
          > reinstall RH itself?
          >
          > No, don't reinstall the entire OS. Get used to what
          > your system feels
          > like and eventually you'll know what to leave alone
          > and what to change.

          Well, I opted to reinstall everything, starting with a
          fresh RH9.

          Then I removed all the relevant RH9 RPMS:

          root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_ssl
          [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_python
          [root@SAM root]# rpm -e pho
          [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-ldap
          [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-imap
          [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php
          [root@SAM root]# rpm -e redhat-config-httpd
          [root@SAM root]# rpm -e webalizer
          [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_perl
          [root@SAM root]# rpm -e httpd

          (I had to take out mod_ssl, mod_python, etc so as to
          free up dependencies.)

          MY QUESTION:

          Now I want to remove perl, too:

          [root@SAM root]# rpm -e perl
          error: Failed dependencies:
          perl is needed by (installed) logwatch-4.3.1-2
          perl is needed by (installed) w3m-0.3.2.2-5
          perl >= 0:5.002 is needed by (installed)
          perl-Filter-1.29-3
          perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
          perl-DateManip-5.40-30
          perl >= 0:5.000 is needed by (installed)
          perl-DateManip-5.40-30
          perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
          perl-HTML-Tagset-3.03-28
          perl >= 1:5 is needed by (installed)
          perl-HTML-Tagset-3.03-28
          perl >= 5.6.0 is needed by (installed)
          perl-HTML-Parser-3.26-17
          perl >= 0:5.004 is needed by (installed)
          perl-HTML-Parser-3.26-17
          perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
          perl-Parse-Yapp-1.05-30
          perl >= 0:5.004 is needed by (installed)
          perl-Parse-Yapp-1.05-30
          perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
          perl-URI-1.21-7
          perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
          perl-libwww-perl-5.65-6
          perl >= 0:5.002 is needed by (installed)
          perl-libwww-perl-5.65-6
          perl >= 0:5.004 is needed by (installed)
          perl-libwww-perl-5.65-6
          perl >= 0:5.005 is needed by (installed)
          perl-libwww-perl-5.65-6
          perl >= 2:5.8.0 is needed by (installed)
          perl-XML-Parser-2.31-15
          perl >= 0:5.004 is needed by (installed)
          perl-XML-Parser-2.31-15
          perl >= 5.6.0 is needed by (installed)
          perl-libxml-perl-0.07-28
          perl >= 0:5.005 is needed by (installed)
          perl-libxml-perl-0.07-28
          perl >= 5.6.0 is needed by (installed)
          perl-XML-Dumper-0.4-25
          perl >= 5.6.0 is needed by (installed)
          perl-XML-Encoding-1.01-23
          perl >= 0:5.005 is needed by (installed)
          perl-XML-Encoding-1.01-23
          perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
          perl-libxml-enno-1.02-29
          perl >= 5.6.0 is needed by (installed)
          perl-XML-Grove-0.46alpha-25
          perl >= 0:5.005 is needed by (installed)
          perl-XML-Grove-0.46alpha-25
          perl >= 0:5.004 is needed by (installed)
          perl-XML-Twig-3.09-3
          perl >= 5.6.1 is needed by (installed)
          foomatic-2.0.2-15
          perl is needed by (installed)
          redhat-config-printer-0.6.47-1
          perl >= 1:5 is needed by (installed)
          emacs-21.2-33
          perl is needed by (installed)
          libgnomeprint22-2.2.1.1-3
          perl is needed by (installed)
          docbook-dtds-1.0-17
          perl is needed by (installed)
          libgnomeprint-1.116.0-6
          perl is needed by (installed)
          desktop-printing-0.1.10-6
          perl >= 1:5 is needed by (installed)
          xscreensaver-4.07-2
          perl is needed by (installed) autoconf-2.57-3
          perl >= 0:5.000 is needed by (installed)
          autoconf-2.57-3
          perl >= 0:5.005_03 is needed by (installed)
          autoconf-2.57-3
          perl is needed by (installed)
          automake14-1.4p6-5.1
          perl is needed by (installed) automake15-1.5-6
          perl >= 0:5.005 is needed by (installed)
          automake15-1.5-6

          Now, in this forum I heard the importance of building
          perl with the same compiler that you use for httpd and
          mod_perl.

          Am I going to have problems following the MP 2.0
          install instructions

          http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html

          if I don't nuke the current perl first?

          Thanks.

          And this time I'll restrict my reading to the 2.0
          install docs, rather than dipping back into the 1.0
          docs in the middle of 2.0 install. (Doh!)

          Thanks for advice on this --

          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
            On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 16:24, Tofu Optimist wrote:
            > Am I going to have problems following the MP 2.0
            > install instructions
            >
            > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html
            >
            > if I don't nuke the current perl first?

            No, you should be fine. However, I have also simply installed a new
            perl on top of the one shipped by RH with no problems. (I did this
            because I wanted to use 5.6.1 rather than 5.8.0.) You will be blowing
            the RPM system by doing that, so it's not an advisable way to handle a
            large cluster of machines, but it works fine if you just need to get a
            quick dev environment bootstrapped.

            - Perrin
          • Tofu Optimist
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
              Ack!! My perl build failed.

              Here's what I did....

              .... nuke the RPMS
              [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_ssl
              [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_python
              [root@SAM root]# rpm -e pho
              [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-ldap
              [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-imap
              [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php
              [root@SAM root]# rpm -e redhat-config-httpd
              [root@SAM root]# rpm -e webalizer
              [root@SAM root]# rpm -e httpd
              [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_perl

              ....download perl, apache, mod_perl

              ls
              -rw-rw-r-- 1 aprk aprk 6260081 Jul 7
              11:09 httpd-2.0.47.tar.gz
              -rw-rw-r-- 1 aprk aprk 918029 Apr 27
              22:53 mod_perl-2.0-current.tar.gz
              -rw------- 1 aprk aprk 4145152 Aug 1
              16:48 perl-5.8.0.tar.gz

              ....unzip and untar them, then

              cd perl-5.8.0
              ./Configure -des
              make && make test

              Here's the failure

              Failed Test Stat Wstat Total
              Fail Failed List of Failed
              ../lib/Locale/Codes/t/all.t 20
              2 10.00% 9-10
              ../lib/Locale/Codes/t/languages.t 59
              1 1.69% 22
              42 tests and 406 subtests skipped.
              Failed 2/712 test scripts, 99.72% okay. 3/68552
              subtests failed, 100.00% okay.

              Oh helpful gurus, any advice?

              With gratitude --

              http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
                On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 17:46, Tofu Optimist wrote:
                > Ack!! My perl build failed.
                [...]
                > Failed Test Stat Wstat Total
                > Fail Failed List of Failed
                > ../lib/Locale/Codes/t/all.t 20
                > 2 10.00% 9-10
                > ../lib/Locale/Codes/t/languages.t 59
                > 1 1.69% 22
                > 42 tests and 406 subtests skipped.
                > Failed 2/712 test scripts, 99.72% okay. 3/68552
                > subtests failed, 100.00% okay.

                You didn't follow my earlier advice about changing the locale, did you?
                I wasn't kidding about that. You can't build perl 5.8.0 successfully on
                a RH 9 system unless you change the locale.

                Note that 5.8.1 does not have this problem and is about to be released.

                - Perrin
              • Tofu Optimist
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
                  I'm not TRYING to be difficult; I am clueless.
                  :)

                  Exactly HOW do I change the locale?

                  And after I do that, I do my

                  make && make install

                  again, yes?

                  Many thanks!
                  :)

                  http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                • Tofu Optimist
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
                    I am still here, trying to build mod_perl 2.
                    Many thanks to everyone who offered help.

                    To recap: I freshly installed RedHat 9 on a box,
                    then used RPM to remove modules involving httpd.
                    (See notes below). Then I built perl 5.8.0 from
                    source, first doing a "export LANG=C" to address
                    the UTF bug. The perl build worked. I did everything
                    as non-root until the make install, which I did as
                    root.

                    I then built Apache 2.0.47 from source.
                    Seemed to go OK (there was no make test step...)
                    I did everything as non-root until the make install,
                    which I did as root.

                    Then as root I used CPAN to install
                    Bundle::WWW, LWP, and HTML::Parser.
                    Had some troubles, used the force option, and plowed
                    ahead. (Maybe I should have stopped here at the first

                    sign of trouble....)

                    As non-root, did
                    cd mod_perl-1.99_09/
                    perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=$HOME/httpd/prefork
                    MP_INST_APACHE2=1
                    make

                    which went fine.

                    make tests did not work -- below is the bottom of the
                    output.

                    Argh!

                    Suggestions?

                    - A

                    PS Below the make test output below, I included a
                    note file where I've been pasting commands I've run...
                    in some places, it contains notes, rather than exact
                    linux commands.

                    ==================================
                    = BOTTOM OF FAILED make test
                    ==================================

                    <snip>
                    /usr/bin/perl -Iblib/arch/Apache2 -Iblib/lib/Apache2 \
                    t/TEST -clean
                    *** setting ulimit to allow core files
                    ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -clean
                    APACHE_USER= APACHE_GROUP= APACHE_PORT= APACHE= APXS=
                    \
                    /usr/bin/perl -Iblib/arch/Apache2 -Iblib/lib/Apache2 \
                    t/TEST -verbose=0
                    *** setting ulimit to allow core files
                    ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -verbose=0
                    /home/aprk/httpd/prefork/bin/httpd -d
                    /home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/t -f
                    /home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/t/conf/httpd.conf
                    -DAPACHE2
                    using Apache/2.0.47 (prefork MPM)

                    waiting for server to start: ..[Fri Aug 01 22:34:36
                    2003] [info] 19 Apache:: modules loaded
                    [Fri Aug 01 22:34:36 2003] [info] 3 APR:: modules
                    loaded
                    [Fri Aug 01 22:34:36 2003] [info] base server + 8
                    vhosts ready to run tests
                    ..
                    waiting for server to start: ok (waited 2 secs)
                    server SAM:8529 started
                    server SAM:8530 listening (TestProtocol::echo_filter)
                    server SAM:8531 listening (TestProtocol::echo)
                    server SAM:8532 listening (TestPreConnection::note)
                    server SAM:8533 listening (TestFilter::in_str_msg)
                    server SAM:8534 listening
                    (TestFilter__both_str_con_add)
                    server SAM:8535 listening (TestFilter::in_bbs_msg)
                    server SAM:8536 listening (TestDirective::perlmodule)
                    server SAM:8537 listening (TestDirective::perlrequire)
                    server SAM:8538 listening
                    (TestDirective::perlloadmodule4)
                    server SAM:8539 listening
                    (TestDirective::perlloadmodule5)
                    server SAM:8540 listening
                    (TestDirective::perlloadmodule3)
                    server SAM:8541 listening
                    (TestDirective::perlloadmodule6)
                    apache/add_config..............ok
                    apache/cgihandler..............ok
                    apache/conftree................ok
                    apache/constants...............ok
                    apache/post....................ok
                    apache/read....................ok
                    apache/scanhdrs................ok
                    apache/scanhdrs2...............ok
                    apache/send_cgi_header.........ok
                    apache/subprocess..............ok
                    apache/write...................ok
                    api/access.....................ok
                    api/aplog......................ok
                    api/conn_rec...................ok
                    api/lookup_uri.................ok
                    api/lookup_uri2................ok
                    api/module.....................ok
                    api/r_subclass.................ok
                    api/request_rec................ok
                    api/response...................ok
                    api/rutil......................ok
                    api/sendfile...................ok
                    api/server_rec.................ok
                    api/server_util................ok
                    api/uri........................ok
                    apr/base64.....................ok
                    apr/constants..................ok
                    apr/date.......................ok
                    apr/netlib.....................ok
                    apr/os.........................ok
                    apr/pool.......................ok
                    apr/socket.....................ok
                    apr/string.....................ok
                    apr/table......................ok
                    apr/threadmutex................skipped
                    all skipped: Perl was not built with
                    'ithreads' enabled
                    apr/util.......................ok
                    apr/uuid.......................ok
                    compat/apache..................ok
                    compat/apache_file.............ok
                    compat/apache_table............ok
                    compat/apache_uri..............ok
                    compat/apache_util.............ok
                    compat/conn_authen.............ok
                    compat/request.................ok
                    compat/request_body............ok
                    compat/send_fd.................ok
                    directive/env..................ok
                    directive/perl.................ok
                    directive/perldo...............ok
                    directive/perlloadmodule.......ok
                    directive/perlloadmodule2......ok
                    directive/perlloadmodule3......ok
                    directive/perlloadmodule4......ok
                    directive/perlloadmodule5......ok
                    directive/perlloadmodule6......ok
                    directive/perlmodule...........ok
                    directive/perlrequire..........ok
                    directive/pod..................ok
                    directive/setupenv.............ok
                    error/api......................ok
                    error/runtime..................ok
                    error/syntax...................ok
                    filter/both_str_con_add........ok
                    filter/both_str_req_add........ok
                    filter/in_bbs_body.............ok
                    filter/in_bbs_msg..............ok
                    filter/in_init_basic...........ok
                    filter/in_str_consume..........ok
                    filter/in_str_declined.........ok
                    filter/in_str_lc...............ok
                    filter/in_str_msg..............ok
                    filter/in_str_sandwich.........ok
                    filter/out_bbs_basic...........ok
                    filter/out_bbs_ctx.............ok
                    filter/out_init_basic..........ok
                    filter/out_str_api.............ok
                    filter/out_str_ctx.............ok
                    filter/out_str_declined........ok
                    filter/out_str_lc..............ok
                    filter/out_str_remove..........ok
                    filter/out_str_req_eos.........ok
                    filter/out_str_reverse.........ok
                    hooks/access...................ok
                    hooks/authen...................ok
                    hooks/authz....................ok
                    hooks/cleanup..................ok
                    hooks/fixup....................ok
                    hooks/headerparser.............ok
                    hooks/init.....................ok
                    hooks/push_handlers............ok
                    hooks/stacked_handlers.........ok
                    hooks/trans....................ok
                    modperl/current_callback.......ok
                    modperl/dir_config.............ok
                    modperl/endav..................ok
                    modperl/env....................ok
                    modperl/exit...................ok
                    modperl/getc...................ok
                    modperl/method.................ok
                    modperl/methodname.............ok
                    modperl/methodobj..............ok
                    modperl/perl...................ok
                    modperl/pnotes.................ok
                    modperl/print..................ok
                    modperl/printf.................ok
                    modperl/readline...............ok
                    modperl/request_rec_tie_api....ok
                    modperl/sameinterp.............ok
                    modperl/setauth................ok
                    modperl/subenv.................ok
                    modperl/taint..................ok
                    modules/cgi....................ok
                    modules/cgiupload..............ok
                    modules/include................ok
                    modules/include2...............ok
                    preconnection/note.............ok
                    protocol/echo..................ok
                    protocol/echo_filter...........ok
                    All tests successful, 1 test skipped.
                    Files=118, Tests=621, 134 wallclock secs (117.14 cusr
                    + 10.72 csys = 127.86 CPU)
                    *** server SAM:8529 shutdown
                    cd ModPerl-Registry && make test
                    make[1]: Entering directory
                    `/home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/ModPerl-Registry'
                    /usr/bin/perl -I../blib/arch/Apache2
                    -I../blib/lib/Apache2 \
                    t/TEST -clean
                    *** setting ulimit to allow core files
                    ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -clean
                    APACHE_USER= APACHE_GROUP= APACHE_PORT= APACHE= APXS=
                    \
                    /usr/bin/perl -I../blib/arch/Apache2
                    -I../blib/lib/Apache2 \
                    t/TEST -verbose=0
                    *** setting ulimit to allow core files
                    ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -verbose=0
                    /home/aprk/httpd/prefork/bin/httpd -d
                    /home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/ModPerl-Registry/t -f
                    /home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/ModPerl-Registry/t/conf/httpd.conf
                    -DAPACHE2
                    using Apache/2.0.47 (prefork MPM)

                    waiting for server to start: ....
                    waiting for server to start: ok (waited 3 secs)
                    server SAM:8529 started
                    206................ok
                    404................ok
                    500................ok
                    bad_scripts........ok
                    basic..............ok
                    cgi................NOK 2# Failed test 2 in cgi.t at
                    line 19
                    cgi................FAILED test 2
                    Failed 1/2 tests, 50.00% okay
                    closure............ok
                    perlrun_require....ok
                    redirect...........ok
                    special_blocks.....ok
                    Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of
                    Failed
                    cgi.t 2 1 50.00% 2
                    *** server SAM:8529 shutdown
                    !!! error running tests (please examine
                    t/logs/error_log)
                    make[1]: *** [run_tests] Error 1
                    make[1]: Leaving directory
                    `/home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/ModPerl-Registry'
                    make: *** [run_tests] Error 2
                    aprk@SAM:~/src/mod_perl-1.99_09>
                    aprk@SAM:~/src/mod_perl-1.99_09>
                    aprk@SAM:~/src/mod_perl-1.99_09>

                    ==================================
                    = MISC NOTES FROM INSTALL
                    ==================================

                    Note file where I've been pasting commands I've run...
                    in some places, it contains notes, rather than exact
                    linux commands, in other places, exact commands, or
                    copypaste from the terminal...

                    su
                    updatedb
                    [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_ssl
                    [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_python
                    [root@SAM root]# rpm -e pho
                    [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-ldap
                    [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-imap
                    [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php
                    [root@SAM root]# rpm -e redhat-config-httpd
                    [root@SAM root]# rpm -e webalizer
                    [root@SAM root]# rpm -e httpd
                    [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_perl
                    .....download perl, apache, mod_perl
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 aprk aprk 6260081 Jul 7
                    11:09 httpd-2.0.47.tar.gz
                    -rw-rw-r-- 1 aprk aprk 918029 Apr 27
                    22:53 mod_perl-2.0-current.tar.gz
                    -rw------- 1 aprk aprk 4145152 Aug 1
                    16:48 perl-5.8.0.tar.gz
                    ........unzip and untar them
                    cd perl-5.8.0
                    ./Configure -des
                    .......fix the UTF bug
                    export LANG=C (from
                    http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=87682)
                    make && make test
                    su
                    cd ....perl-5.8.0
                    make install
                    exit
                    cd .......httpd
                    ./configure --prefix=$HOME/httpd/prefork
                    --with-mpm=prefork
                    make
                    su
                    make install
                    exit
                    cd mod_perl-1.99_09/
                    perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=$HOME/httpd/prefork
                    MP_INST_APACHE2=1
                    make
                    su
                    perl -MCPAN -eshell
                    force install HTML::Parser
                    force install LWP
                    force install WWW::Bundle (?not sure?)
                    exit
                    make test

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Ged Haywood
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
                      Hi there,

                      On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Tofu Optimist wrote:

                      > Exactly HOW do I change the locale?

                      http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/UsingPerl58OnRedHat8

                      about half a dozen messages down. See also

                      http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=87682

                      > make && make install
                      >
                      > again, yes?

                      Better start with

                      % cd /home/directory/src

                      (or whatever your home directory is) and then

                      % rm -rf apache_1.3.28
                      % rm -rf mod_perl-1.28
                      % tar xzvf apache_1.3.28.tgz
                      % tar xzvf mod_perl-1.28
                      % perl Makefile.PL ....

                      and I would suggest that in future instead of

                      % make && make install

                      that you do these steps as separate commands

                      % make
                      % make test
                      % su
                      Password:
                      # make install
                      # exit
                      %

                      which will give you the opportunity to abandon ship at any point
                      before the install. Finally if you do

                      % script

                      before you start the 'perl Makefile.PL' step then everything you see
                      on the screen will be logged to a file so you can peruse it later if
                      you feel the need. It will help you to become familiar with build the
                      process. It looks a lot more complicated than it is. Really.

                      % man script

                      for more details. I'd use 'less -S' to look at the scriptfile.
                      In fact I always alias 'less -S' to 'li' in my login scripts... :)

                      73,
                      Ged.
                    • Ged Haywood
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
                        Hello again,

                        On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Tofu Optimist wrote:

                        > To recap: I freshly installed RedHat 9 on a box,
                        > then used RPM to remove modules involving httpd.
                        > (See notes below). Then I built perl 5.8.0 from
                        > source, first doing a "export LANG=C"

                        why not

                        LANG=en_US

                        ?

                        > Then as root I used CPAN to install
                        > Bundle::WWW, LWP, and HTML::Parser.
                        > Had some troubles, used the force option,

                        Oooohhh. Don't do that...

                        We're getting out of my area of experience here, I don't use mod_perl2,
                        but I hear there are recent changes to CGI.pm. Did you install the
                        latest CGI.pm? You should.

                        73,
                        Ged.
                      • Tofu Optimist
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 2, 2003
                          Hi folks. It is Saturday evening, 2 Aug 03, 9pm local
                          time, and I just got my modperl 2 and apache 2 running
                          on my dev box, built from source, and just ran my
                          first handler successfully. Hurrah!!

                          I started on this wild adventure last Wednesday
                          evening, so it took me around 3.5 days, working on and
                          off. Thanks to the good folks on this list for
                          helping me out, especially ged & perrin for their
                          patience and insightful posts.

                          I wanted to summarize what I learned, in case it
                          helps someone else trying to do the same thing.

                          CAUTION: I am a linux and apache and mod-perl NEWBIE;
                          please don�t take the following as gospel, I could be
                          (and likely am) wrong. But hopefully my points below
                          will at least raise helpful issues. At times I had
                          trouble as my knowledge was so rudimentary I couldn't
                          read between the lines in the docs and in the posts.
                          (For example, why do the docs casually say "make &&
                          make test && make install", when in fact you have to
                          su over to root before the install step? <g>)

                          So here are my notes on this process:

                          * START CLEAN. Before starting, get rid of any and
                          all old perls and apaches on the system. I had
                          several instances of both due my installation
                          fumblings -- I opted to reinstall Red Hat 9 to start
                          fresh. If you do this, make sure you ask RH to
                          install all the programming tools � on my first
                          reinstall, I opted for the �server� configuration,
                          which didn�t give me all the compiling tools needed,
                          and so had to reinstall it again. Useful tools are
                          updatedb and locate, and rpm �e. Took me a while to
                          realize I could use wget to pull down .tar.gz sources
                          via http; not knowing about wget, I was trying to get
                          everything through ftp and that was a drag.

                          * SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND. I really liked the interface
                          and search function at
                          http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/mod_perl_C1/.
                          Amazing resource. And searching for key terms or
                          error messages on Google (main) and Google groups
                          gives a good a sense of what might be going on.

                          * MOD_PERL 2 IS STILL YOUNG. I didn�t realize going
                          into this that at this point (2 Aug 03) Mod Perl 2 is
                          still pre-release. Ack! My ISP runs Apache 2 so
                          decided to install mod-perl 2, so I wanted AP2 and MP2
                          on my dev machine to match my ISP setup. (Funny � he
                          got MP2 running in a few hours, vs. my 3.5 days � but
                          then again, this was also my introduction to linux,
                          apache, etc.)

                          * DON�T DO EVERYTHING AS ROOT. Build and test all
                          packages as non-root, then su to root to make install.
                          Don�t make and make test as root. I did and ran into
                          troubles and had to start again.

                          * IF PERL DOESN�T PASS 100% OF ITS TESTS, STOP. Build
                          perl 5.8.x first, and make sure it passes every test.
                          Do not continue, do not pass go, do not collect $200
                          until all the tests run. I had to use EXPORT
                          LANG=en_us to get around the UTF bug in Perl 5.8.0.

                          * CPAN IS YOUR FRIEND. After building a successful
                          perl 5.8.0, I used CPAN to install (in this order)
                          CGI, LWP, Bundle::LWP, HTML::Parser. Now, I didn�t
                          get 100% clean installs on the last two, and (in
                          violation of the previous rule above) continued on
                          with my fingers crossed.

                          * DON�T MIX APACHE 1 AND APACHE 2 DOCS. Without
                          realizing it, I was bouncing between the docs at the
                          mod_perl site for 1.0 and 2.0. I didn�t realize how
                          different the two packages are. Stay in one world or
                          the other. The apache install went easily, following
                          the instructions online and in Stas� excellent book,
                          practical mod_perl.

                          * ONE ERROR. The mod_perl install went smoothly too,
                          following the instructions online. I did get one
                          error i: �filter/in_bbs_msg..............server side
                          has failed (response code: 404),see t/logs/error_log
                          for more details� but again I foolishly forged on
                          ignoring it. Will this come back to haunt me? I hope
                          not. Anyone want to tell me what this means?

                          * DON�T MIX MODPERL1 AND MODPERL2 DOCS. I read Stas�
                          book, Practical mod_perl, and really found it useful
                          and well-written. But I thought the whole book was
                          about �mod-perl� � technically it isn�t. Most of the
                          book is about MP1, and Chaps 24 and 25 are about MP2.
                          My handlers were wrong, my httpd.conf was wrong � I
                          was trying to run MP1 stuff on MP2. I made the same
                          mistake reading ModPerl Developer�s Cookbook. The
                          fault was mine � MP 1 and MP 2 are quite different. I
                          just didn�t know this going into this process.

                          * READ PRACTICAL MODPERL CHAP 23 �GETTING HELP AND
                          ONLINE RESOURCES� FIRST. I noticed this chapter late
                          in the game. Read it first.

                          Those are my tidbits of advice. Good luck to you if
                          you are a newcomer, and thanks to the veterans for
                          providing all this great information, advice, and
                          encouragement --

                          http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                        • Ron Savage
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 3, 2003
                            >We're getting out of my area of experience here, I don't use
                            mod_perl2,
                            >but I hear there are recent changes to CGI.pm. Did you install the
                            >latest CGI.pm? You should.
                            >
                            >73,
                            >Ged.

                            For the record, the last CGI.pm which I could get to work under
                            Win2K/IE 6 is 2.97.

                            V 2.99 corrupts the string returned by $q -> url() by %-etc encoding
                            /-etc characters.
                            --
                            Ron Savage, rons@... on 04/08/2003. Room EF 312
                            Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood, VIC 3125, Australia
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 4, 2003
                              On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 22:53, Tofu Optimist wrote:
                              > Then as root I used CPAN to install
                              > Bundle::WWW, LWP, and HTML::Parser.
                              > Had some troubles, used the force option, and plowed
                              > ahead. (Maybe I should have stopped here at the first

                              FYI, this was probably also because of the locale issue. Best to make
                              it a global change so you won't have to set it every time you want to
                              run (or install) perl stuff.