Re: Skipped Tests (was: handler help)

  • Tofu Optimist
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
      Ged -- Sorry I wasn't fully explicit, it is still
      early in the morning:

      > So your non-root user has write permission in
      > /usr/src? Hmmmm...

      Rather than /usr/src, I put in /home/aprk

      > % make && make test && make install
      > This can't work, you need to be root to make
      > install.

      Yes, you are correct. make && make test as non-root,
      then install as root. (Odd, isn't it, the docs at
      http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#A_Summary_of_a_Basic_mod_perl_Installation

      don't make this explicit?)

      > PS:
      > Did you build your own Perl?

      Yes, 5.8.0

      > Have you cleaned up any old Apaches and mod_perls?
      > (RH9 comes with Apache2, you probably want to get
      > rid of that:).

      Excellent point. No. There are probably hordes of
      perls and hpptds and mod_perls running amok on the box
      throwing wild parties; I don't know.

      I think my next step should be to start over fresh.
      Again.

      As a newbie, may I ask 4 basic questions:

      [1] How do I find *everything* on the box related to
      perl / apache / mod_perl, both 1 and 2, both the RH
      install and from my own ftp / tar / make fumblings?

      [2] How do I uninstall everything from [1], so I can
      start fresh?

      [3] I'd prefer to use modperl 2 and apache 2, as that
      is what my ISP is using. And I think I'd prefer to
      use RH rpm to install them, as again, that is what my
      ISP did. (Want my dev box to match the outside box as
      much as possible). This newsgroup keeps mentioning
      "build from sources," will I be going astray trying
      the rpm route?

      [4] Is a full uninstall enough, or should I reinstall
      RH itself?

      Many thanks for your generosity explaining these
      mysteries to a newcomer.

      -- A

      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
        On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 10:31, Tofu Optimist wrote:
        > [1] How do I find *everything* on the box related to
        > perl / apache / mod_perl, both 1 and 2, both the RH
        > install and from my own ftp / tar / make fumblings?

        Well, you can run updatedb and then use locate to look for things like
        apachectl and Apache.pm.

        > [2] How do I uninstall everything from [1], so I can
        > start fresh?

        There is no simply way to uninstall software that you installed from
        source. There are things you can do though. First uninstall any apache
        or mod_perl rpms. Then you can clear out all the Apach::* modules from
        your perl lib, and delete all the web server stuff (which is typically
        installed under a single directory).

        > [3] I'd prefer to use modperl 2 and apache 2, as that
        > is what my ISP is using.

        Okay, then stop reading docs for mod_perl 1.

        > And I think I'd prefer to
        > use RH rpm to install them, as again, that is what my
        > ISP did.

        Don't do that. mod_perl 2 is basically in alpha right now and changes
        every day. If you plan to run it, you must keep on top of development.
        The rpms for mod_perl 2 are ancient at this point.

        > [4] Is a full uninstall enough, or should I reinstall
        > RH itself?

        The latter is more complete, but if you don't see any more httpd.conf
        files or Apache:: modules, you have probably cleaned things close
        enough.

        - Perrin
      • Ged Haywood
        Message 3 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
          Hi there,

          On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Tofu Optimist wrote:

          > Rather than /usr/src, I put in /home/aprk

          That's fine. But in future, tell us what you did, not some fiction... :)

          > Yes, you are correct. make && make test as non-root,
          > then install as root. (Odd, isn't it, the docs at
          > http://perl.apache.org/docs/1.0/guide/install.html#A_Summary_of_a_Basic_mod_perl_Installation
          > don't make this explicit?)

          Yes, I always think that, but many of the Open Source packages neglect
          to mention this point every time it might be mentioned. I think authors
          expect it to be either very obvious or else perhaps unnecessary - some
          operating systems don't have a Unix-like permisisons system.

          > > Did you build your own Perl?
          >
          > Yes, 5.8.0

          Good. You might want to try 5.8.1 soon, but I don't think that's a
          problem here.

          > > Have you cleaned up any old Apaches and mod_perls?
          >
          > No. There are probably hordes of perls and hpptds and mod_perls
          > running amok on the box throwing wild parties; I don't know.

          Argh. The Apache2/modperl2 that comes with RH9 is junk. Get rid of
          it all. Use 'ps' to see what processes you have running and stop any
          httpd processes that you don't think you started. RH will start an
          Apache when it boots if you let it, I wish they wouldn't do that.
          Read 'man chkconfig'. Go into /etc/rc.d and look at the startup
          scripts. Use chkconfig to prevent Apache being started at boot so
          you can start it manually when you've built it. When you're happy
          that it's all as you wnt it, you might want to use chkconfig to set
          it up to start at boot again.

          > I think my next step should be to start over fresh.
          > Again.

          :)

          > [1] How do I find *everything* on the box related to
          > perl / apache / mod_perl, both 1 and 2, both the RH
          > install and from my own ftp / tar / make fumblings?
          > [2] How do I uninstall everything from [1], so I can
          > start fresh?

          Well RH should let you uninstall packages with rpm, but I don't use
          rpm and I tend to avoid RedHat so I don't know exactly how you'd do
          it. My preference would be to look in /usr/local/ and /var/lib to see
          if there are any apache things such as /usr/local/apache, and if so go
          in there as root and rm -rf the entire apache directory. That will
          perhaps throw away config files etc. you've been working on, you might
          want to make backups. When you've done that you might want to use
          slocate to build a database of filenames on your filesystem, then use
          it to search for any httpd or apachectl files that escaped. If so
          there'll probably be truckloads of files in there with them. Nukem.
          The source trees in your home directory don't matter. Nuke them too.
          You won't need to do anything about Perl on your system if you really
          did compile it from source yourself.

          > [3] I'd prefer to use modperl 2 and apache 2, as that is what my ISP
          > is using. And I think I'd prefer to use RH rpm to install them, as
          > again, that is what my ISP did. (Want my dev box to match the
          > outside box as much as possible). This newsgroup keeps mentioning
          > "build from sources," will I be going astray trying the rpm route?

          I hate RPMs. For Apache2/modperl2 you would be better off going to
          the CVS sources unless you can get hold of a very recent RPM, things
          are changing really fast in the mod_perl version 2 codebase. True, it
          could be important for your dev box to match your prod box, but when
          you figure out what's going on it will probably matter less - until
          you start doing really fancy stuff, when it will start to matter again.

          > [4] Is a full uninstall enough, or should I reinstall RH itself?

          No, don't reinstall the entire OS. Get used to what your system feels
          like and eventually you'll know what to leave alone and what to change.

          > mysteries to a newcomer.

          FWIW you sound like you're picking it up quickly.

          73,
          Ged.
        • Tofu Optimist
          Message 4 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
            Thanks Ged.

            > [4] Is a full uninstall enough, or should I
            > reinstall RH itself?
            >
            > No, don't reinstall the entire OS. Get used to what
            > your system feels
            > like and eventually you'll know what to leave alone
            > and what to change.

            Well, I opted to reinstall everything, starting with a
            fresh RH9.

            Then I removed all the relevant RH9 RPMS:

            root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_ssl
            [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_python
            [root@SAM root]# rpm -e pho
            [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-ldap
            [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-imap
            [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php
            [root@SAM root]# rpm -e redhat-config-httpd
            [root@SAM root]# rpm -e webalizer
            [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_perl
            [root@SAM root]# rpm -e httpd

            (I had to take out mod_ssl, mod_python, etc so as to
            free up dependencies.)

            MY QUESTION:

            Now I want to remove perl, too:

            [root@SAM root]# rpm -e perl
            error: Failed dependencies:
            perl is needed by (installed) logwatch-4.3.1-2
            perl is needed by (installed) w3m-0.3.2.2-5
            perl >= 0:5.002 is needed by (installed)
            perl-Filter-1.29-3
            perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
            perl-DateManip-5.40-30
            perl >= 0:5.000 is needed by (installed)
            perl-DateManip-5.40-30
            perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
            perl-HTML-Tagset-3.03-28
            perl >= 1:5 is needed by (installed)
            perl-HTML-Tagset-3.03-28
            perl >= 5.6.0 is needed by (installed)
            perl-HTML-Parser-3.26-17
            perl >= 0:5.004 is needed by (installed)
            perl-HTML-Parser-3.26-17
            perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
            perl-Parse-Yapp-1.05-30
            perl >= 0:5.004 is needed by (installed)
            perl-Parse-Yapp-1.05-30
            perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
            perl-URI-1.21-7
            perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
            perl-libwww-perl-5.65-6
            perl >= 0:5.002 is needed by (installed)
            perl-libwww-perl-5.65-6
            perl >= 0:5.004 is needed by (installed)
            perl-libwww-perl-5.65-6
            perl >= 0:5.005 is needed by (installed)
            perl-libwww-perl-5.65-6
            perl >= 2:5.8.0 is needed by (installed)
            perl-XML-Parser-2.31-15
            perl >= 0:5.004 is needed by (installed)
            perl-XML-Parser-2.31-15
            perl >= 5.6.0 is needed by (installed)
            perl-libxml-perl-0.07-28
            perl >= 0:5.005 is needed by (installed)
            perl-libxml-perl-0.07-28
            perl >= 5.6.0 is needed by (installed)
            perl-XML-Dumper-0.4-25
            perl >= 5.6.0 is needed by (installed)
            perl-XML-Encoding-1.01-23
            perl >= 0:5.005 is needed by (installed)
            perl-XML-Encoding-1.01-23
            perl >= 0:5.00503 is needed by (installed)
            perl-libxml-enno-1.02-29
            perl >= 5.6.0 is needed by (installed)
            perl-XML-Grove-0.46alpha-25
            perl >= 0:5.005 is needed by (installed)
            perl-XML-Grove-0.46alpha-25
            perl >= 0:5.004 is needed by (installed)
            perl-XML-Twig-3.09-3
            perl >= 5.6.1 is needed by (installed)
            foomatic-2.0.2-15
            perl is needed by (installed)
            redhat-config-printer-0.6.47-1
            perl >= 1:5 is needed by (installed)
            emacs-21.2-33
            perl is needed by (installed)
            libgnomeprint22-2.2.1.1-3
            perl is needed by (installed)
            docbook-dtds-1.0-17
            perl is needed by (installed)
            libgnomeprint-1.116.0-6
            perl is needed by (installed)
            desktop-printing-0.1.10-6
            perl >= 1:5 is needed by (installed)
            xscreensaver-4.07-2
            perl is needed by (installed) autoconf-2.57-3
            perl >= 0:5.000 is needed by (installed)
            autoconf-2.57-3
            perl >= 0:5.005_03 is needed by (installed)
            autoconf-2.57-3
            perl is needed by (installed)
            automake14-1.4p6-5.1
            perl is needed by (installed) automake15-1.5-6
            perl >= 0:5.005 is needed by (installed)
            automake15-1.5-6

            Now, in this forum I heard the importance of building
            perl with the same compiler that you use for httpd and
            mod_perl.

            Am I going to have problems following the MP 2.0
            install instructions

            http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html

            if I don't nuke the current perl first?

            Thanks.

            And this time I'll restrict my reading to the 2.0
            install docs, rather than dipping back into the 1.0
            docs in the middle of 2.0 install. (Doh!)

            Thanks for advice on this --

            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
              On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 16:24, Tofu Optimist wrote:
              > Am I going to have problems following the MP 2.0
              > install instructions
              >
              > http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/install/install.html
              >
              > if I don't nuke the current perl first?

              No, you should be fine. However, I have also simply installed a new
              perl on top of the one shipped by RH with no problems. (I did this
              because I wanted to use 5.6.1 rather than 5.8.0.) You will be blowing
              the RPM system by doing that, so it's not an advisable way to handle a
              large cluster of machines, but it works fine if you just need to get a
              quick dev environment bootstrapped.

              - Perrin
            • Tofu Optimist
              Message 6 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
                Ack!! My perl build failed.

                Here's what I did....

                .... nuke the RPMS
                [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_ssl
                [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_python
                [root@SAM root]# rpm -e pho
                [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-ldap
                [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-imap
                [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php
                [root@SAM root]# rpm -e redhat-config-httpd
                [root@SAM root]# rpm -e webalizer
                [root@SAM root]# rpm -e httpd
                [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_perl

                ....download perl, apache, mod_perl

                ls
                -rw-rw-r-- 1 aprk aprk 6260081 Jul 7
                11:09 httpd-2.0.47.tar.gz
                -rw-rw-r-- 1 aprk aprk 918029 Apr 27
                22:53 mod_perl-2.0-current.tar.gz
                -rw------- 1 aprk aprk 4145152 Aug 1
                16:48 perl-5.8.0.tar.gz

                ....unzip and untar them, then

                cd perl-5.8.0
                ./Configure -des
                make && make test

                Here's the failure

                Failed Test Stat Wstat Total
                Fail Failed List of Failed
                ../lib/Locale/Codes/t/all.t 20
                2 10.00% 9-10
                ../lib/Locale/Codes/t/languages.t 59
                1 1.69% 22
                42 tests and 406 subtests skipped.
                Failed 2/712 test scripts, 99.72% okay. 3/68552
                subtests failed, 100.00% okay.

                Oh helpful gurus, any advice?

                With gratitude --

                http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
                  On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 17:46, Tofu Optimist wrote:
                  > Ack!! My perl build failed.
                  [...]
                  > Failed Test Stat Wstat Total
                  > Fail Failed List of Failed
                  > ../lib/Locale/Codes/t/all.t 20
                  > 2 10.00% 9-10
                  > ../lib/Locale/Codes/t/languages.t 59
                  > 1 1.69% 22
                  > 42 tests and 406 subtests skipped.
                  > Failed 2/712 test scripts, 99.72% okay. 3/68552
                  > subtests failed, 100.00% okay.

                  You didn't follow my earlier advice about changing the locale, did you?
                  I wasn't kidding about that. You can't build perl 5.8.0 successfully on
                  a RH 9 system unless you change the locale.

                  Note that 5.8.1 does not have this problem and is about to be released.

                  - Perrin
                • Tofu Optimist
                  Message 8 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
                    I'm not TRYING to be difficult; I am clueless.
                    :)

                    Exactly HOW do I change the locale?

                    And after I do that, I do my

                    make && make install

                    again, yes?

                    Many thanks!
                    :)

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Tofu Optimist
                    Message 9 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
                      I am still here, trying to build mod_perl 2.
                      Many thanks to everyone who offered help.

                      To recap: I freshly installed RedHat 9 on a box,
                      then used RPM to remove modules involving httpd.
                      (See notes below). Then I built perl 5.8.0 from
                      source, first doing a "export LANG=C" to address
                      the UTF bug. The perl build worked. I did everything
                      as non-root until the make install, which I did as
                      root.

                      I then built Apache 2.0.47 from source.
                      Seemed to go OK (there was no make test step...)
                      I did everything as non-root until the make install,
                      which I did as root.

                      Then as root I used CPAN to install
                      Bundle::WWW, LWP, and HTML::Parser.
                      Had some troubles, used the force option, and plowed
                      ahead. (Maybe I should have stopped here at the first

                      sign of trouble....)

                      As non-root, did
                      cd mod_perl-1.99_09/
                      perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=$HOME/httpd/prefork
                      MP_INST_APACHE2=1
                      make

                      which went fine.

                      make tests did not work -- below is the bottom of the
                      output.

                      Argh!

                      Suggestions?

                      - A

                      PS Below the make test output below, I included a
                      note file where I've been pasting commands I've run...
                      in some places, it contains notes, rather than exact
                      linux commands.

                      ==================================
                      = BOTTOM OF FAILED make test
                      ==================================

                      <snip>
                      /usr/bin/perl -Iblib/arch/Apache2 -Iblib/lib/Apache2 \
                      t/TEST -clean
                      *** setting ulimit to allow core files
                      ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -clean
                      APACHE_USER= APACHE_GROUP= APACHE_PORT= APACHE= APXS=
                      \
                      /usr/bin/perl -Iblib/arch/Apache2 -Iblib/lib/Apache2 \
                      t/TEST -verbose=0
                      *** setting ulimit to allow core files
                      ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -verbose=0
                      /home/aprk/httpd/prefork/bin/httpd -d
                      /home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/t -f
                      /home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/t/conf/httpd.conf
                      -DAPACHE2
                      using Apache/2.0.47 (prefork MPM)

                      waiting for server to start: ..[Fri Aug 01 22:34:36
                      2003] [info] 19 Apache:: modules loaded
                      [Fri Aug 01 22:34:36 2003] [info] 3 APR:: modules
                      loaded
                      [Fri Aug 01 22:34:36 2003] [info] base server + 8
                      vhosts ready to run tests
                      ..
                      waiting for server to start: ok (waited 2 secs)
                      server SAM:8529 started
                      server SAM:8530 listening (TestProtocol::echo_filter)
                      server SAM:8531 listening (TestProtocol::echo)
                      server SAM:8532 listening (TestPreConnection::note)
                      server SAM:8533 listening (TestFilter::in_str_msg)
                      server SAM:8534 listening
                      (TestFilter__both_str_con_add)
                      server SAM:8535 listening (TestFilter::in_bbs_msg)
                      server SAM:8536 listening (TestDirective::perlmodule)
                      server SAM:8537 listening (TestDirective::perlrequire)
                      server SAM:8538 listening
                      (TestDirective::perlloadmodule4)
                      server SAM:8539 listening
                      (TestDirective::perlloadmodule5)
                      server SAM:8540 listening
                      (TestDirective::perlloadmodule3)
                      server SAM:8541 listening
                      (TestDirective::perlloadmodule6)
                      apache/add_config..............ok
                      apache/cgihandler..............ok
                      apache/conftree................ok
                      apache/constants...............ok
                      apache/post....................ok
                      apache/read....................ok
                      apache/scanhdrs................ok
                      apache/scanhdrs2...............ok
                      apache/send_cgi_header.........ok
                      apache/subprocess..............ok
                      apache/write...................ok
                      api/access.....................ok
                      api/aplog......................ok
                      api/conn_rec...................ok
                      api/lookup_uri.................ok
                      api/lookup_uri2................ok
                      api/module.....................ok
                      api/r_subclass.................ok
                      api/request_rec................ok
                      api/response...................ok
                      api/rutil......................ok
                      api/sendfile...................ok
                      api/server_rec.................ok
                      api/server_util................ok
                      api/uri........................ok
                      apr/base64.....................ok
                      apr/constants..................ok
                      apr/date.......................ok
                      apr/netlib.....................ok
                      apr/os.........................ok
                      apr/pool.......................ok
                      apr/socket.....................ok
                      apr/string.....................ok
                      apr/table......................ok
                      apr/threadmutex................skipped
                      all skipped: Perl was not built with
                      'ithreads' enabled
                      apr/util.......................ok
                      apr/uuid.......................ok
                      compat/apache..................ok
                      compat/apache_file.............ok
                      compat/apache_table............ok
                      compat/apache_uri..............ok
                      compat/apache_util.............ok
                      compat/conn_authen.............ok
                      compat/request.................ok
                      compat/request_body............ok
                      compat/send_fd.................ok
                      directive/env..................ok
                      directive/perl.................ok
                      directive/perldo...............ok
                      directive/perlloadmodule.......ok
                      directive/perlloadmodule2......ok
                      directive/perlloadmodule3......ok
                      directive/perlloadmodule4......ok
                      directive/perlloadmodule5......ok
                      directive/perlloadmodule6......ok
                      directive/perlmodule...........ok
                      directive/perlrequire..........ok
                      directive/pod..................ok
                      directive/setupenv.............ok
                      error/api......................ok
                      error/runtime..................ok
                      error/syntax...................ok
                      filter/both_str_con_add........ok
                      filter/both_str_req_add........ok
                      filter/in_bbs_body.............ok
                      filter/in_bbs_msg..............ok
                      filter/in_init_basic...........ok
                      filter/in_str_consume..........ok
                      filter/in_str_declined.........ok
                      filter/in_str_lc...............ok
                      filter/in_str_msg..............ok
                      filter/in_str_sandwich.........ok
                      filter/out_bbs_basic...........ok
                      filter/out_bbs_ctx.............ok
                      filter/out_init_basic..........ok
                      filter/out_str_api.............ok
                      filter/out_str_ctx.............ok
                      filter/out_str_declined........ok
                      filter/out_str_lc..............ok
                      filter/out_str_remove..........ok
                      filter/out_str_req_eos.........ok
                      filter/out_str_reverse.........ok
                      hooks/access...................ok
                      hooks/authen...................ok
                      hooks/authz....................ok
                      hooks/cleanup..................ok
                      hooks/fixup....................ok
                      hooks/headerparser.............ok
                      hooks/init.....................ok
                      hooks/push_handlers............ok
                      hooks/stacked_handlers.........ok
                      hooks/trans....................ok
                      modperl/current_callback.......ok
                      modperl/dir_config.............ok
                      modperl/endav..................ok
                      modperl/env....................ok
                      modperl/exit...................ok
                      modperl/getc...................ok
                      modperl/method.................ok
                      modperl/methodname.............ok
                      modperl/methodobj..............ok
                      modperl/perl...................ok
                      modperl/pnotes.................ok
                      modperl/print..................ok
                      modperl/printf.................ok
                      modperl/readline...............ok
                      modperl/request_rec_tie_api....ok
                      modperl/sameinterp.............ok
                      modperl/setauth................ok
                      modperl/subenv.................ok
                      modperl/taint..................ok
                      modules/cgi....................ok
                      modules/cgiupload..............ok
                      modules/include................ok
                      modules/include2...............ok
                      preconnection/note.............ok
                      protocol/echo..................ok
                      protocol/echo_filter...........ok
                      All tests successful, 1 test skipped.
                      Files=118, Tests=621, 134 wallclock secs (117.14 cusr
                      + 10.72 csys = 127.86 CPU)
                      *** server SAM:8529 shutdown
                      cd ModPerl-Registry && make test
                      make[1]: Entering directory
                      `/home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/ModPerl-Registry'
                      /usr/bin/perl -I../blib/arch/Apache2
                      -I../blib/lib/Apache2 \
                      t/TEST -clean
                      *** setting ulimit to allow core files
                      ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -clean
                      APACHE_USER= APACHE_GROUP= APACHE_PORT= APACHE= APXS=
                      \
                      /usr/bin/perl -I../blib/arch/Apache2
                      -I../blib/lib/Apache2 \
                      t/TEST -verbose=0
                      *** setting ulimit to allow core files
                      ulimit -c unlimited; t/TEST -verbose=0
                      /home/aprk/httpd/prefork/bin/httpd -d
                      /home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/ModPerl-Registry/t -f
                      /home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/ModPerl-Registry/t/conf/httpd.conf
                      -DAPACHE2
                      using Apache/2.0.47 (prefork MPM)

                      waiting for server to start: ....
                      waiting for server to start: ok (waited 3 secs)
                      server SAM:8529 started
                      206................ok
                      404................ok
                      500................ok
                      bad_scripts........ok
                      basic..............ok
                      cgi................NOK 2# Failed test 2 in cgi.t at
                      line 19
                      cgi................FAILED test 2
                      Failed 1/2 tests, 50.00% okay
                      closure............ok
                      perlrun_require....ok
                      redirect...........ok
                      special_blocks.....ok
                      Failed Test Stat Wstat Total Fail Failed List of
                      Failed
                      cgi.t 2 1 50.00% 2
                      *** server SAM:8529 shutdown
                      !!! error running tests (please examine
                      t/logs/error_log)
                      make[1]: *** [run_tests] Error 1
                      make[1]: Leaving directory
                      `/home/aprk/src/mod_perl-1.99_09/ModPerl-Registry'
                      make: *** [run_tests] Error 2
                      aprk@SAM:~/src/mod_perl-1.99_09>
                      aprk@SAM:~/src/mod_perl-1.99_09>
                      aprk@SAM:~/src/mod_perl-1.99_09>

                      ==================================
                      = MISC NOTES FROM INSTALL
                      ==================================

                      Note file where I've been pasting commands I've run...
                      in some places, it contains notes, rather than exact
                      linux commands, in other places, exact commands, or
                      copypaste from the terminal...

                      su
                      updatedb
                      [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_ssl
                      [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_python
                      [root@SAM root]# rpm -e pho
                      [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-ldap
                      [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php-imap
                      [root@SAM root]# rpm -e php
                      [root@SAM root]# rpm -e redhat-config-httpd
                      [root@SAM root]# rpm -e webalizer
                      [root@SAM root]# rpm -e httpd
                      [root@SAM root]# rpm -e mod_perl
                      .....download perl, apache, mod_perl
                      -rw-rw-r-- 1 aprk aprk 6260081 Jul 7
                      11:09 httpd-2.0.47.tar.gz
                      -rw-rw-r-- 1 aprk aprk 918029 Apr 27
                      22:53 mod_perl-2.0-current.tar.gz
                      -rw------- 1 aprk aprk 4145152 Aug 1
                      16:48 perl-5.8.0.tar.gz
                      ........unzip and untar them
                      cd perl-5.8.0
                      ./Configure -des
                      .......fix the UTF bug
                      export LANG=C (from
                      http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=87682)
                      make && make test
                      su
                      cd ....perl-5.8.0
                      make install
                      exit
                      cd .......httpd
                      ./configure --prefix=$HOME/httpd/prefork
                      --with-mpm=prefork
                      make
                      su
                      make install
                      exit
                      cd mod_perl-1.99_09/
                      perl Makefile.PL MP_AP_PREFIX=$HOME/httpd/prefork
                      MP_INST_APACHE2=1
                      make
                      su
                      perl -MCPAN -eshell
                      force install HTML::Parser
                      force install LWP
                      force install WWW::Bundle (?not sure?)
                      exit
                      make test

                      http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                    • Ged Haywood
                      Message 10 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
                        Hi there,

                        On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Tofu Optimist wrote:

                        > Exactly HOW do I change the locale?

                        http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Codev/UsingPerl58OnRedHat8

                        about half a dozen messages down. See also

                        http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=87682

                        > make && make install
                        >
                        > again, yes?

                        Better start with

                        % cd /home/directory/src

                        (or whatever your home directory is) and then

                        % rm -rf apache_1.3.28
                        % rm -rf mod_perl-1.28
                        % tar xzvf apache_1.3.28.tgz
                        % tar xzvf mod_perl-1.28
                        % perl Makefile.PL ....

                        and I would suggest that in future instead of

                        % make && make install

                        that you do these steps as separate commands

                        % make
                        % make test
                        % su
                        Password:
                        # make install
                        # exit
                        %

                        which will give you the opportunity to abandon ship at any point
                        before the install. Finally if you do

                        % script

                        before you start the 'perl Makefile.PL' step then everything you see
                        on the screen will be logged to a file so you can peruse it later if
                        you feel the need. It will help you to become familiar with build the
                        process. It looks a lot more complicated than it is. Really.

                        % man script

                        for more details. I'd use 'less -S' to look at the scriptfile.
                        In fact I always alias 'less -S' to 'li' in my login scripts... :)

                        73,
                        Ged.
                      • Ged Haywood
                        Message 11 of 18 , Aug 1, 2003
                          Hello again,

                          On Fri, 1 Aug 2003, Tofu Optimist wrote:

                          > To recap: I freshly installed RedHat 9 on a box,
                          > then used RPM to remove modules involving httpd.
                          > (See notes below). Then I built perl 5.8.0 from
                          > source, first doing a "export LANG=C"

                          why not

                          LANG=en_US

                          ?

                          > Then as root I used CPAN to install
                          > Bundle::WWW, LWP, and HTML::Parser.
                          > Had some troubles, used the force option,

                          Oooohhh. Don't do that...

                          We're getting out of my area of experience here, I don't use mod_perl2,
                          but I hear there are recent changes to CGI.pm. Did you install the
                          latest CGI.pm? You should.

                          73,
                          Ged.
                        • Tofu Optimist
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 2, 2003
                            Hi folks. It is Saturday evening, 2 Aug 03, 9pm local
                            time, and I just got my modperl 2 and apache 2 running
                            on my dev box, built from source, and just ran my
                            first handler successfully. Hurrah!!

                            I started on this wild adventure last Wednesday
                            evening, so it took me around 3.5 days, working on and
                            off. Thanks to the good folks on this list for
                            helping me out, especially ged & perrin for their
                            patience and insightful posts.

                            I wanted to summarize what I learned, in case it
                            helps someone else trying to do the same thing.

                            CAUTION: I am a linux and apache and mod-perl NEWBIE;
                            please don�t take the following as gospel, I could be
                            (and likely am) wrong. But hopefully my points below
                            will at least raise helpful issues. At times I had
                            trouble as my knowledge was so rudimentary I couldn't
                            read between the lines in the docs and in the posts.
                            (For example, why do the docs casually say "make &&
                            make test && make install", when in fact you have to
                            su over to root before the install step? <g>)

                            So here are my notes on this process:

                            * START CLEAN. Before starting, get rid of any and
                            all old perls and apaches on the system. I had
                            several instances of both due my installation
                            fumblings -- I opted to reinstall Red Hat 9 to start
                            fresh. If you do this, make sure you ask RH to
                            install all the programming tools � on my first
                            reinstall, I opted for the �server� configuration,
                            which didn�t give me all the compiling tools needed,
                            and so had to reinstall it again. Useful tools are
                            updatedb and locate, and rpm �e. Took me a while to
                            realize I could use wget to pull down .tar.gz sources
                            via http; not knowing about wget, I was trying to get
                            everything through ftp and that was a drag.

                            * SEARCH IS YOUR FRIEND. I really liked the interface
                            and search function at
                            http://www.gossamer-threads.com/archive/mod_perl_C1/.
                            Amazing resource. And searching for key terms or
                            error messages on Google (main) and Google groups
                            gives a good a sense of what might be going on.

                            * MOD_PERL 2 IS STILL YOUNG. I didn�t realize going
                            into this that at this point (2 Aug 03) Mod Perl 2 is
                            still pre-release. Ack! My ISP runs Apache 2 so
                            decided to install mod-perl 2, so I wanted AP2 and MP2
                            on my dev machine to match my ISP setup. (Funny � he
                            got MP2 running in a few hours, vs. my 3.5 days � but
                            then again, this was also my introduction to linux,
                            apache, etc.)

                            * DON�T DO EVERYTHING AS ROOT. Build and test all
                            packages as non-root, then su to root to make install.
                            Don�t make and make test as root. I did and ran into
                            troubles and had to start again.

                            * IF PERL DOESN�T PASS 100% OF ITS TESTS, STOP. Build
                            perl 5.8.x first, and make sure it passes every test.
                            Do not continue, do not pass go, do not collect $200
                            until all the tests run. I had to use EXPORT
                            LANG=en_us to get around the UTF bug in Perl 5.8.0.

                            * CPAN IS YOUR FRIEND. After building a successful
                            perl 5.8.0, I used CPAN to install (in this order)
                            CGI, LWP, Bundle::LWP, HTML::Parser. Now, I didn�t
                            get 100% clean installs on the last two, and (in
                            violation of the previous rule above) continued on
                            with my fingers crossed.

                            * DON�T MIX APACHE 1 AND APACHE 2 DOCS. Without
                            realizing it, I was bouncing between the docs at the
                            mod_perl site for 1.0 and 2.0. I didn�t realize how
                            different the two packages are. Stay in one world or
                            the other. The apache install went easily, following
                            the instructions online and in Stas� excellent book,
                            practical mod_perl.

                            * ONE ERROR. The mod_perl install went smoothly too,
                            following the instructions online. I did get one
                            error i: �filter/in_bbs_msg..............server side
                            has failed (response code: 404),see t/logs/error_log
                            for more details� but again I foolishly forged on
                            ignoring it. Will this come back to haunt me? I hope
                            not. Anyone want to tell me what this means?

                            * DON�T MIX MODPERL1 AND MODPERL2 DOCS. I read Stas�
                            book, Practical mod_perl, and really found it useful
                            and well-written. But I thought the whole book was
                            about �mod-perl� � technically it isn�t. Most of the
                            book is about MP1, and Chaps 24 and 25 are about MP2.
                            My handlers were wrong, my httpd.conf was wrong � I
                            was trying to run MP1 stuff on MP2. I made the same
                            mistake reading ModPerl Developer�s Cookbook. The
                            fault was mine � MP 1 and MP 2 are quite different. I
                            just didn�t know this going into this process.

                            * READ PRACTICAL MODPERL CHAP 23 �GETTING HELP AND
                            ONLINE RESOURCES� FIRST. I noticed this chapter late
                            in the game. Read it first.

                            Those are my tidbits of advice. Good luck to you if
                            you are a newcomer, and thanks to the veterans for
                            providing all this great information, advice, and
                            encouragement --

                            http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                          • Ron Savage
                            Message 13 of 18 , Aug 3, 2003
                              >We're getting out of my area of experience here, I don't use
                              mod_perl2,
                              >but I hear there are recent changes to CGI.pm. Did you install the
                              >latest CGI.pm? You should.
                              >
                              >73,
                              >Ged.

                              For the record, the last CGI.pm which I could get to work under
                              Win2K/IE 6 is 2.97.

                              V 2.99 corrupts the string returned by $q -> url() by %-etc encoding
                              /-etc characters.
                              --
                              Ron Savage, rons@... on 04/08/2003. Room EF 312
                              Deakin University, 221 Burwood Highway, Burwood, VIC 3125, Australia
                              Message 14 of 18 , Aug 4, 2003
                                On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 22:53, Tofu Optimist wrote:
                                > Then as root I used CPAN to install
                                > Bundle::WWW, LWP, and HTML::Parser.
                                > Had some troubles, used the force option, and plowed
                                > ahead. (Maybe I should have stopped here at the first

                                FYI, this was probably also because of the locale issue. Best to make
                                it a global change so you won't have to set it every time you want to
                                run (or install) perl stuff.