RE: [ANNOUNCE] "Practical mod_perl" is out!

  • Frank Maas
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 3 12:36 PM
      > well, the (long) wait is now over - "Practical mod_perl" is here.

      Geoff, you might be the best person to ask and it might be a worthwhile
      extension to the mod_perl-documentation: why would one use this new
      book if (s)he has the mod_perl cookbook already. I am not trying to
      set a new war between authors here, but wouldn't it be an idea to have
      such a 'review', giving interested users an idea of what they could buy?
      On one of my shopping sprees I bought 'Perl in a nutshell' and not that
      much later the Camel-book, only to find that I can put the nutshell far
      away as I never read it (sorry author). This experience is holding me
      back a bit when it is about buying a new book that covers the same
      subject as another book.

      Hope you can help us!

      --Frank
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 3 1:10 PM
        Frank Maas wrote:
        >>well, the (long) wait is now over - "Practical mod_perl" is here.
        >

        > Geoff, you might be the best person to ask and it might be a worthwhile
        > extension to the mod_perl-documentation: why would one use this new
        > book if (s)he has the mod_perl cookbook already.

        that's a valid question. the way I look at things is like this.

        mod_perl is in a very unique position. of the three substantial books
        available on mod_perl, all are useful and authoritative, and all overlap
        very, very little.

        for the most part, I would say that the eagle book is best viewed as the
        main API reference for mod_perl - (almost) all the API functions are
        explained and illustrated there. it's also a good introductory text on
        basic Apache functionality and how mod_perl ties into Apache. I think
        everyone would agree that to do mod_perl you need to own the eagle book.

        the cookbook tries to show what having the C Apache API at your fingertips
        really means to Perl programmers. for the most part, it gives lots of
        examples of using (and abusing) the mod_perl API as a means to extending
        (and contorting) Apache. there is very little there, for instance, on
        running and configuring a server, but lots there on programming the deepest
        recesses of the server.

        practical mod_perl I think is more of an overall guide to deploying mod_perl
        services - everything from basic setup and coding to advanced configurations
        and performance techniques. essentially an overhauled, reworked, and
        polished Guide, this book has been in the works for a long time, and it
        contains very valuable information you won't find anywhere else.

        as I said, you'll find very little overlap between the different books. I
        know I tried very hard not to duplicate information that you could simply
        find in the eagle book, and I had advance knowledge of what was in the new
        book, so I tried not to duplicate information available there either. Stas
        and Eric I'm sure did the same.

        > I am not trying to
        > set a new war between authors here

        actually, we're all very much on friendly terms, so a war isn't likely.
        despite writing through different publishers, we all have the same idea -
        namely, to promote mod_perl and help document it as best we can. I know
        that's not something you find in open source every day, but you'll find us
        all drinking together at OSCon again this year :)

        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 3 1:23 PM
          On Tue, 2003-06-03 at 16:10, Geoffrey Young wrote:
          > I know
          > that's not something you find in open source every day, but you'll find us
          > all drinking together at OSCon again this year :)

          Stas will be drinking cranberry juice, but still drinking.

          Congratulations on the publication, Eric and Stas!

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 3 6:35 PM
            Geoffrey Young wrote:

            > Frank Maas wrote:
            >
            >>> well, the (long) wait is now over - "Practical mod_perl" is here.
            >>

            >> Geoff, you might be the best person to ask and it might be a worthwhile
            >> extension to the mod_perl-documentation: why would one use this new
            >> book if (s)he has the mod_perl cookbook already.
            >

            > that's a valid question. the way I look at things is like this.
            >
            > mod_perl is in a very unique position. of the three substantial books
            > available on mod_perl, all are useful and authoritative, and all overlap
            > very, very little.
            >
            > for the most part, I would say that the eagle book is best viewed as the
            > main API reference for mod_perl - (almost) all the API functions are
            > explained and illustrated there. it's also a good introductory text on
            > basic Apache functionality and how mod_perl ties into Apache. I think
            > everyone would agree that to do mod_perl you need to own the eagle book.
            >
            > the cookbook tries to show what having the C Apache API at your
            > fingertips really means to Perl programmers. for the most part, it
            > gives lots of examples of using (and abusing) the mod_perl API as a
            > means to extending (and contorting) Apache. there is very little there,
            > for instance, on running and configuring a server, but lots there on
            > programming the deepest recesses of the server.
            >
            > practical mod_perl I think is more of an overall guide to deploying
            > mod_perl services - everything from basic setup and coding to advanced
            > configurations and performance techniques. essentially an overhauled,
            > reworked, and polished Guide, this book has been in the works for a long
            > time, and it contains very valuable information you won't find anywhere
            > else.
            >
            > as I said, you'll find very little overlap between the different books.
            > I know I tried very hard not to duplicate information that you could
            > simply find in the eagle book, and I had advance knowledge of what was
            > in the new book, so I tried not to duplicate information available there
            > either. Stas and Eric I'm sure did the same.

            I have very little to add to this perfect explanation, other than you really
            need to have all 3 books on your bookshelf to have a complete mod_perl 1.0
            reference.

            Oh, and Geoff forgot to mention that "Practical mod_perl" includes two
            chapters on mod_perl 2.0.

            >> I am not trying to set a new war between authors here
            >

            > actually, we're all very much on friendly terms, so a war isn't likely.
            > despite writing through different publishers, we all have the same idea
            > - namely, to promote mod_perl and help document it as best we can. I
            > know that's not something you find in open source every day, but you'll
            > find us all drinking together at OSCon again this year :)

            Yup, and having 746+600+924=2270 pages of pure mod_perl material, sans index
            and TOC, in the book stores is a good thing for mod_perl promotion!

            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 3 6:37 PM
              Geoffrey Young wrote:
              > well, the (long) wait is now over - "Practical mod_perl" is here.
              >
              > weighing in at a whopping 924 pages, "Practical mod_perl" really needs
              > no introduction for those that are already familiar with the mod_perl
              > Guide. however, from the ORA catalog description:
              >
              > "From writing and debugging scripts to keeping your server running
              > without failures, the techniques in this book will help you squeeze
              > every ounce of power out of your server. True to its title, this is the
              > practical guide to mod_perl."
              >
              > O'Reilly has a sample chapter online
              >
              > http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pmodperl/chapter/ch06.pdf
              >
              > the book's official website is
              >
              > http://www.modperlbook.org/
              >
              > where you will find links to ways to purchse the book.

              A few days later we will put more information on the site, including the
              source code. Eric is working on it as you read this.

              > kudos Stas and Eric!

              Thanks Geoff!

              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 3 6:40 PM
                Ranga Nathan wrote:

                > I have a mod_perl book but I am looking forward to one that includes
                > mod_perl. I believe, corporate IT should take a serious look at using
                > mod_perl. It is time for the heads to come out of the sand. I am
                > interested in creating a presentation for my employer. I need
                > information that reeks (yes I want it to stink) with credibility. Any
                > pointers in this regard is welcome.

                Archives include quite a few rich threads on mod_perl advocacy:
                http://perl.apache.org/maillist/modperl.html#Searchable_Archives
                http://perl.apache.org/maillist/advocacy.html#Searchable_Archives

                We have this page:
                http://perl.apache.org/docs/general/advocacy/advocacy.html#top
                But it certainly could be made much better. Patches are welcome.

              • Wilt, Paul
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 4 6:38 AM
                  Stas / Eric:

                  Congratulations on a job well done!