Re: Re: Can´t install mod_perl, allmost all tests fail.

  • Ged Haywood
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
      Hi there,

      On Wed, 30 Apr 2003, [iso-8859-1] Niko Järvinen wrote:

      > I wanted to install them by myself.

      Fair enough. Expect a long, steep learning curve - but lots of help. :)

      > > The server must run with the lowest possible privileges. NEVER root.
      > So I should change what? to what?

      Well I don't know what groups you have on your system, but I'd think that

      User nobody
      Group nobody

      might be OK.

      > So could someone say whats my problem

      Not without rather more information.

      > should I use ready packets?

      It would possibly be quicker, but you'll learn more if you do it
      yourself. Can you remove all traces of Apache and mod_perl from your
      system? You'll have to spend some time looking into the documentation
      to find out where it all is. In particular you need to know where the
      binaries, shared library files, sources and configuration files all
      live, and they're all in different places. Apache will see existing
      configuration files when it's installed - if they're not in good shape
      then the installation may appear to have failed when in fact it's OK,
      just the configuration files are bad. If you leave old binaries and
      libraries lying around you run the risk of executing them by mistake
      when you think you're starting your newly compiled ones.

      In short, if you're new to it you should start with a clean system (or
      you'll quickly find yourself in a very confusing mess) and read all the
      documentation about installation very carefully. You might find it a
      little easier with version 1 of Apache and mod_perl, it's a little more
      settled than version 2 and the documentation is -er- older.

      73,
      Ged.
    • Niko Järvinen
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003
        On Wednesday 30 April 2003 4:17 pm, Niko Järvinen wrote:
        > >I simply extracted it and the run "perl Makefile.PL
        >> MP_AP_PREFIX=/usr/local/apache2"
        >> Then "make && make test" as the INSTALL file says.
        >> I havent done anything else.

        >Have you installed apache already? What commands did you use for that?
        Did
        >you test it after you installed it?

        I have apache allready installed.
        I used these commands:
        ./configure
        make
        make install

        then configured it and tested it. And it works fine.

        Niko Järvinen
      • Niko Järvinen
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1, 2003

          > >>Red Hat 9.0 comes with mod_perl and Apache 2 already installed for you.
          > >>Why are you doing it again??
          >
          > RH9.0 comes with a very old mp2, so if you can install the new one, so
          much
          > better for you.

          Could someone explain what mp2 is, as I´m pretty new with linux.
          Unless if you mean mod_perl2.

          > You had this really long ping-pong thread, I still have no clue what
          version
          > do you try to install. Make sure that you use mod_perl 1.99_09 that you
          can
          > download from here:
          > http://perl.apache.org/download/index.html

          I do use mod_perl 1.99_09. I tried CVS and tar.gz packet and neither worked.

          Niko Järvinen
        • Carl Brewer
          Message 4 of 6 , May 1, 2003
            Niko Järvinen wrote:

            > Could someone explain what mp2 is, as I´m pretty new with linux.
            > Unless if you mean mod_perl2.

            mp2 is mod_perl2.

            > I do use mod_perl 1.99_09. I tried CVS and tar.gz packet and neither worked.

            1.99_9 is mp2 :)

            Carl
            Message 5 of 6 , May 1, 2003
              On Thursday 01 May 2003 5:27 am, Niko Järvinen wrote:
              > I do use mod_perl 1.99_09. I tried CVS and tar.gz packet and neither
              > worked.

              I built 1.99_09 last night on Red Hat 9 with Apache 2.0.45 without any
              problems. Please send the information described here as Stas requested:
              http://perl.apache.org/docs/2.0/user/help/help.html#Reporting_Problems

              Also, what is your $LANG environment variable set to?