Re: ASP?

  • Alfred Vahau
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 29, 2003
      I didn't have an email address to report them to and I certainly never saw the MS programmers responsable on any mailing list as I do with perl - I got a response within an hour when reporting a bug in HTML::Template.

      Herein lies the strength of perl and perl-based solutions on IT Projects. Over a million Perl programmers who follow the sun. While half of the world sleeps, the other half is working, a guarantee that any posting will not go unnoticed. Then there is the collected wisdom of Perl - CPAN. Is there anything like this which is free?

      Perl is likened to playing a little bit of heaven on earth. Giving freely after receiving from the community. I called for truce sometime ago on this list on Perl vs. PHP bashing and I am not about to go ASP or MS bashing.

      From a modperl/perl advocate from the other side of the globe.

      Alfred Vahau
      IT Services
      Uni. PNG
      Ph. 675 3267 277
      Fax. 675 3267 187
      Email: Alf.Vahau@...

      Aaron Trevena wrote:
      Perrin Harkins wrote:

      On Tue, 2003-04-29 at 08:10, Tom Gazzini wrote:

      However, I need to get this e-commerce site up and running as soon as
      possible. I have spent some time trying to get an Apache/mod_perl site
      up and running, and I have been running all sorts of problems just
      getting the system up and running. Getting a system up and running is,
      of course, not usually a problem with MS tools.

      This is largely because of the one-size-fits-all approach of MS tools. That's fine for many people until they need to do something MS didn't
      plan for, and then they have trouble.

      After working with MS tools for ecommerce and content management I think it is safe to say they make easy things easier and hard things harder.

      This is good if you are following easy microsoft recipes and writing hello world web pages, but pretty soon when developing real world applications you will find that you spend most of your time working on hard stuff that the easy stuff being easier has saved you very very little time.

      This where mailing lists, irc, faqs, modules, face to face meetings with other perl developers and sheer power of your language become important. Things like multiple inheritance, version control, namespaces, modules, templating and MVC engines become important. Being able to benchmark and test code quickly and easily and output debug to logs that you can tail or grep become important.

      May I encourage you to keep trying?  I think you'll find that the
      flexible programming environment and the wealth of free code on CPAN
      make it worthwhile.

      Indeed, that and articles from perl.com and the topics on the monger mailing lists.  The whole time I used ASP not once did I find a nice mailing list for help, or irc channels with any experts on - or even any decent books on doing it well - there is only one decent ASP book, Designing ASP by Oreilly, and that is fairly limited in its scope. Compare it books like the mod_perl cookbook or the eagle. I never found a bug fix for any of the nasty bugs in ASP/ADO - I didn't have an email address to report them to and I certainly never saw the MS programmers responsable on any mailing list as I do with perl - I got a response within an hour when reporting a bug in HTML::Template.

      regards,

      A.