Re: IE6 -> Perl Cookies - Unix/Linux vs. Windows

  • Rob Bloodgood
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2003
      Thursday, April 17, 2003, 12:15:04 AM, you wrote:

      man> I am trying to set a cookie using Perl(mod_perl/1.26)(5.6) on Apache Linux but
      man> IE6 doesn't accept it (also in CGI). I tried the same script using Perl(5.8) on
      man> IIS Windows and here IE6 does accept the cookie. I would like to think this is
      man> because of the Perl version but I'm not sure. Any ideas why this may be... ?

      You need to look at the P3P header.

      A quick websearch reveals a decent overview here:
      http://webmaster.info.aol.com/p3poverview.html

      And links to docs, specs, and editors here:
      http://webmaster.info.aol.com/links.html

      But the short version is, IE6 implements the P3P system (Platform for
      Privacy Preferences) for "security" reasons. Unless the P3P header
      appears, delineating the various intended uses and scopes of cookies
      on your website, IE6 just drops the cookies right into the bit bucket.

      I spent some time on this when it first came out. I went thru the long
      version, the short version, the detailed version, the terse version,
      and finally came up with a P3P header that I was happy with. Then I
      just added that to all my webserver configs. :-) OK, my sites won't
      pass a full recursive dig of P3P info based on the header I send, but
      now IE6 accepts my cookies!

      L8r,
      Rob