65344Re: high throughput perl server

  • David Nicol
    May 31, 2005
      On 5/26/05, Perrin Harkins <perrin@...> wrote:
      > On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 14:53 -0400, Erik Aronesty wrote:
      > > ppcgid kicks it's butt in that arena.
      >
      > > My business partner and I decided on two tactics: he started building a
      > > patch to thttpd to run perl scripts natively as opposed to exec'ing, and
      > > I built a pure perl web server. I finished first, so we're using that
      > > for now. But I think that a perl patch to thttpd (including preloading
      > > support) is what we'll be using in the long run... it's the right way to go.

      Me too -- mine is on CPAN as HTTP::Server::Singlethreaded, and apps
      written against
      it that have to do DBI calls to serve each page are responsive enough
      to deliver multiple
      pages per second. I am curious to see which will be the choke point as more
      throughput is needed: the MySQL server or the Singlethreaded. If it
      turns out that
      there are delays due to ST waiting for DBI results, ST can be made to fork after
      binding the listening ports, but DBI connections must be done after
      the forking, as
      I understand it, at this time. Currently my ST installation is
      handling my load perfectly
      well as a single thread.

      I haven't looked at ppcgid yet, I might lift some code out of it for
      ST if it is licensed
      in a way conducive to that.
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic