53132Re: [RFC] web-messaging application for mod_perl

    Jul 15, 2003
      Adi Fairbank wrote:
      > On, or in the near vicinity of Mon, 14 Jul 2003 18:49:58 +0300
      > Stas Bekman <stas@...> has thus written:
      >

      >>Probably the best bet is to give it some cool unique name, like
      >>Apache::AdiChat and then you are all set, since you are not going to take over
      [...]
      > What's wrong with "WebMessaging" ? Do you foresee that interfering with some
      > future software in the Apache:: namespace, or is it just too generic? I thought
      > it was a good name since it accurately describes what it is: not webmail, not
      > instant messaging, but web messaging. (basically, it's like those message boxes
      > you get on a stock trading website when you login to your account)

      James has gone into a detailed reply why this could be a bad idea. I'd just
      add that it's very hard to choose a good name for a module. And it seems that
      unique k001 names never have such problems.

      Perhaps you can have a unique name for your application and in the future you
      will extract a framework from it, making your app use it and allowing other
      apps to do the same. So with time you will see whether Apache::WebMessaging is
      a good name and whether it fits well into the scope of what it's supposed to do.