51654Re: Ensim

  • Marc Slagle
    May 6, 2003
      We use Ensim for one of our mod_perl platforms. It was a bit odd to
      configure at first, but heres what we do:

      Make sure you have the CPAN module installed and then install all the
      modules you'll need (Apache::DBI) etc. You can get at the main apache conf
      file in /etc/httpd/conf. The bottom of the file contains the includes for
      the virtual hosts. You can place your own includes for a startup.pl in the
      file as usual.

      Each hosts configuration lives in its own sub-directory under
      /etc/httpd/conf. The have names like "siteXX", where XX would be some
      number. If you cant figure out which directory is for the site you are
      configuring, you can have a look under /home/virtual. The actual
      directories the files live in are there, along with a bunch of links. The
      links will be the names of your configured sites. You should be able to get
      the name of your configuration directory via ls -l.

      Once you know what "siteXX" folders your site lives in, you can go back to
      /etc/httpd/conf/siteXX. There will be several files in that directory. You
      can create any filename you want to be included in the <virtualhost> block
      of httpd.conf. When the server is restarted it'll grab every file in that
      directory.

      An example of the default mod_perl file under your site configuration would
      be:

      [root@ensim site67]# more mod_perl
      <IfModule mod_perl.c>
      Alias /perl /home/virtual/site67/fst/var/www/perl
      <Directory /home/virtual/site67/fst/var/www/perl>
      Allow from All
      AllowOverride All
      Order allow,deny
      Options +ExecCGI

      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlHandler Apache::Registry
      PerlSendHeader On

      </Directory>
      SetEnv SITE_PERL /home/virtual/site67/fst/var/www/perl
      </IfModule>

      One we added to make the site be handled by our module was:

      <IfModule mod_perl.c>
      Alias / /home/virtual/site67/fst/var/www/perl/
      PerlSetVar region cincinnati
      PerlSetVar tmplpath /home/virtual/site67/fst/var/www
      <Directory /home/virtual/site67/fst/var/www/perl/>
      SetHandler perl-script
      PerlHandler Our::Handler
      Allow from All
      AllowOverride All
      Order allow,deny
      Options +ExecCGI
      </Directory>
      SetEnv SITE_PERL /home/virtual/site67/fst/var/www/perl/
      </IfModule>

      Once you do that you're all set. Since there isnt an apachectl program
      anywhere to be found to check the configuration of your apache config files,
      you'll need to run /usr/sbin/httpd -t, and then restart apache through the
      Ensim web console.

      One note: make backup copies of the files you create under the
      /etc/httpd/conf/siteXX directory, since Ensim can overwrite those files if
      you change anything via the web console for that site.

      Hope that helps get you started.

      Marc Slagle