51162Re: OT: OO data design and search performance

  • Clinton Gormley
    Apr 11, 2003
      On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 14:28, Martin Moss wrote:
      Here's my forpence:-
      Why Have database Tables Defining which Attributes belong to a Class.
      Why not Have the attribuites existing in a config section of your class.

      This was my original plan, but with very few exceptions, the objects are exactly the same (bar the list of attributes associated with them).

      I wanted to do :
      http://website.com/browse?object_id=123. I suppose I could have loaded the object type from the database, and then blessed that object into the relevant sub-class, but it's been easier to maintain everything through a single table.

      Having said that, there has been the odd "if type==6" lines...

      <OO tail firmly between legs>

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic