Re: [modernsciencefiction2] New Member: Ted...

  • Ted Antaya
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 2, 2010
      Hi John and everyone,

      Well I'm a 39 years young electronic technician that was troubleshooting gyroscopes. Currently laid of from that job. I've been keeping busy doing warehouse work. I'm also a father of four great boys. Totally proud of these four young men. I enjoy reading Sci-Fi  books and papers/websites concerning zero point energy.

      I've enjoyed Sci-Fi books since being a teenager in the 80's. Recently I've really enjoyed Robert J. Sawyers books. He seems to really describe the near future clearly. While at the same time the magnifying glass is pointed at the present. One of my all time favorite books is Bruce Sterling's Holy Fire. Another futuristic book with the consequences of immortal life coming to the forefront. Cyberpunk fans would enjoy this book as well. My favorite trilogy would be Frank Herbert's first three Dune books. Magnificent, it really laid the ground work for a lot of my personal beliefs. Some of my favorite lite reads would be Vonda N. McIntyre's Barbary and Harry Turtledoves Noninterference. Great beach books but good enough to make you think at times.

      Well, I hope that is a good start.

      I was wondering at what point do I start talking about the book of the month? I wouldn't want to ruin it for anyone. FYI I've yet to pick it up. I'm hoping to hit the bookstore tonight or tomorrow.

      Ted

      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 2, 2010
        Oops... I forgot to mention how I found you guys. I was doing a search for sci-fi book clubs online. I chose this one because I find the current sci-fi stories more intriguing rather than the old school thought processes of the past. However, I couldn't think of a world without Asimov or Bradbury books.