RE: [modernsciencefiction2] This week's Short Fiction "The Merchant and the Alchemist's Gate"...

  • Tony Williams
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 11, 2010

      I read this one recently as part of a ‘Best SF’ collection which I’m reviewing in batches on my blog at the moment.

      This is what I said about it:

      “A merchant in long-ago Baghdad tells a fantastic tale to the Caliph, concerning a gate through which people can travel twenty years into the future - or into the past. He recounts the varied fortunes of those who have used the gate, including himself. More of an Arabian Nights tale than conventional SF but a fascinating read. An intriguing contrast with the author's award-winning Exhalation, reviewed in this blog on 15 May 2009, which demonstrates the remarkable versatility of this master story-teller.”

      Tony Williams

      Homepage: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk

      SFF Blog: http://sciencefictionfantasy.blogspot.com/