Guilt-free clothing

  • Mahmood Essa
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6, 2013

      Avaaz.org - The World in Action Dear friends,

      Hundreds of Bangladeshi women have been burned or crushed to death while making *our* clothes! In days, major fashion companies could sign an agreement that will either be a strong safety code or a weak PR ploy. If 1 million of us get the CEOs of H&M and GAP to back a life-saving code, the rest will follow:
      We've all seen the horrific images of hundreds of innocent women burned or crushed to death in factories while making our clothes. In the next few days we can get companies to stop it happening again.

      Big fashion brands source from hundreds of factories in Bangladesh. Two brands, including Calvin Klein, have signed a very strong building and fire safety pact. Others, led by Wal-Mart, have been trying to wriggle out of signing by creating a weak alternative that was pure PR. But the latest disaster has triggered crisis meetings and massive pressure to sign the strong version that can save lives.

      Negotiations end in days. H&M and GAP are most likely to flip first to support a strong agreement, and the best way to press them is to go after their CEOs. If one million of us appeal directly to them in a petition, Facebook pages, tweets, and ads, their friends and families will all hear about it. They'll know that their own and their companies' reputations are on the line. People are being forced to make *our* clothing in outrageously dangerous buildings -- sign on to make them safe, and forward this email widely:

      https://secure.avaaz.org/en/crushed_to_make_our_clothes_ss/?bhVbecb&v=24793

      The recent tragic collapse fits a pattern. In the last few years, fires and other disasters have claimed a thousand lives and left many others too injured to work. Bangladesh's government turns a blind eye to dismal conditions, allowing suppliers to cut costs to make clothes at a pace and price that global fashion giants expect. The big brands say they check up, but workers say the companies' own audits can't be trusted.

      The worker-backed safety agreement calls for independent inspections, public reports about supplier factory conditions, and mandatory repairs. It’s even enforceable in courts of the companies’ home countries! Full details of which companies were buying from the factory that collapsed weeks ago aren't yet known, and there's no evidence H&M or Gap did so. But workers have died in other H&M and GAP supplier factories in Bangladesh and getting them onboard now would put tremendous pressure on other companies to follow.

      The companies are making up their minds right now. Let’s call on the CEOs of H&M and GAP to lead the industry by signing the safety plan. Sign your name then share this email widely -- once we reach 1 million we’ll take out ads that they can’t miss:

      https://secure.avaaz.org/en/crushed_to_make_our_clothes_ss/?bhVbecb&v=24793

      Time and time again, Avaaz members have come together to fight corporate greed and support human rights. Last year, we helped 100 Indian workers safely return home when a Bahraini corporation refused to let them leave. Let's now take a stand to stop the deadly race to the bottom in factory safety.

      With hope and determination,

      Jamie, Jeremy, Alex, Ari, Diego, Marie, Maria-Paz, Ricken and the Avaaz team

      PS - Many Avaaz campaigns are started by members of our community! Start yours now and win on any issue - local, national or global: http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/start_a_petition/?bgMYedb&v=23917

      MORE INFORMATION:

      Collapse renews calls for safety agreement (Wall Street Journal)
      http://blogs.wsj.com/indiarealtime/2013/04/25/bangladesh-deaths-renew-calls-for-safety-agreement/

      15 May deadline set for Bangladesh safety plan (Industriall)
      http://www.industriall-union.org/15-may-deadline-set-for-bangladesh-safety-plan

      Western companies feel pressure as toll rises in Bangladesh (NBC News)
      http://www.nbcnews.com/business/western-companies-feel-pressure-toll-rises-bangladesh-6C9624611

      Avoiding the fire next time (The Economist)
      http://www.economist.com/news/business/21577078-after-dhaka-factory-collapse-foreign-clothing-firms-are-under-pressure-improve-working

      Bangladeshi garment factory death toll rises as owner arrested on border (The Guardian)
      http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/apr/28/bangladesh-garment-factory-collapse-owner-held

      Bangladesh factory safety under scrutiny after collapse (CBC)
      http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2013/04/26/bangladesh-factory-building-safety.html

      Hazardous workplaces: Making the Bangladesh Garment Industry Safe (Report, Clean Clothes campaign)
      http://www.cleanclothes.org/resources/publications/2012-11-hazardousworkplaces.pdf/view

      Support the Avaaz Community!
      We're entirely funded by donations and receive no money from governments or corporations. Our dedicated team ensures even the smallest contributions go a long way. Donate to Avaaz

      Avaaz.org is a 21-million-person global campaign network
      that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

      You are getting this message because you signed "Palestine: the world's next nation" on 2011-09-17 using the email address adriad49@....

      To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).