......NEW FRAUD in Bombay

  • Ebrahim Rashid
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 25, 2013

      Shared by some one

      I have recd. a sms today from Airtel stating that they do not ask anyone
      to switch off their mobile phones.Hence, the below story seems to be
      really true.. Please pass on to as many contacts as possible.

      You would like to share with your other collegues/friends
      This happened in Mumbai.. An incident narrated by one of the Chartered
      Accountants...

      Dear All,

      This happened in Mumbai.......
      I cannot stop myself from sharing this with all of you. It all started
      when I received a call from someone claiming that he was from my mobile
      service provider and he asked me to shutdown my phone for 2 hours for 3G
      update to take place. As I was rushing for a meeting, I did not question
      and shutdown my cell phone.
      After 45 minutes I felt very suspicious since the caller did not even
      introduce his name. I quickly turned on my cell phone and I saw several
      missed calls from my family members and the others were from the number
      that had called me earlier - 3954380.
      I called my parents and I was shocked that they sounded very worried
      asking me whether I am safe. My parents told me that they had received a
      call from someone claiming that they had me with them and asking for money
      to let me free. The call was so real and my parents even heard 'my voice'
      crying out loud asking for help. My parent was at the bank waiting for
      next call to proceed for money transfer. I told my parents that I am safe
      and asked them to lodge a police report.
      Right after that I received another call from the guy asking me to
      shutdown my cell phone for another 1 hour which I refused to do and hung
      up. They keep calling my cell phone until the battery had run down. I
      myself lodged a police report and I was informed by the officer that there
      were many such scams reported. MOST of the cases reported that the victim
      had already transferred the money! And it is impossible to get back the
      money. Be careful as this kind of scam might happen to any of us!!! Those
      guys are so professional and very convincing during calls. If you are
      asked to shut down your cell phone for updates by the service provider,
      ASK AROUND!
      Your family or friends might receive the same call.
      Be Safe and Stay Alert!

      Please pass around to your family and friends !!!