Beauty Parlour

  • laila sultan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2005

      Fwded email

      Your Question:

      AOA I have query that I want to ask is that; Iam running my own ladies beauty parlour which is strictly for ladies,is it allowed in Islaam to do so please reply soon as I have this question since last 3to 4 years,and I didn´t know whom to ask.Last night I got the idea to ask my query to you people. Thanks, Allah Hafiz. Shabana Qaisar.

      Answer

      Aleikum salaam wa Rahmatullahi wa Barkatuh

      There is absolutely no harm if a believing woman wishes to run her own business such like yours as long as you would run the business within the boundaries laid down by Allah and His Messenger (saws).

      Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 2783   Narrated by Rafi' ibn Khadij

      Allah's Messenger (saws) was asked what type of earning was best and he (saws) replied, "A man's work with his hand, and every business transaction which is approved."

      Although there is no specific Shariah restriction on a believing woman, who is Islamically covered, applying adornments like make-up, henna, ornaments, etc.;  Except  if a woman fears attracting the attention of non-mehram males towards her, then she should abstain from applying beauty adornments, except in front of her mehrams. So if the women folk who come to you for beauty parlour to do make up for their mehrans or husbands, apply henna, etc there is absolutely no harm.

      But Beloved Sister in Islam, there are many things forbidden by Allah and His Messenger (saws) and it is our duty to inform you as you have asked this question to  fear Allah and save yourself from doing anything that has clearly been declared forbidden by Allah and His Messenger (saws).

      Dear Sister in Islam, we would like to inform you the boundaries laid down in Islam for the believing women and it would be prudent you to stay away what is forbidden in Islam.

      1. Regarding Women’s Satr

      Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 24 Surah An-Noor verse 31: And O Prophet,  enjoin the believing women to restrain their gaze and guard their private parts and not to display their adornment except that which is displayed of itself (their face and hands),  and to draw their veils over their bosoms and not to display their adornment except before their husbands, their fathers,  the fathers of their husbands, their sons and the sons of their husbands,  their brothers,  their brothers sons, their sisters’ sons,  their female associates, and those in their possession and male attendants incapable of sexual desire,  and those boys who have not yet attained knowledge of sexual matters.   Also forbid them to stamp their feet on the ground lest their hidden ornaments should be displayed.

      Sunan of Abu Dawood 1842

      Narrated Aisha, Ummul Mu'minin

      AbulMalih said: Some women of Syria came to Aisha. She asked them: From whom are you?

      They replied: From the people of Syria . She said: Perhaps you belong to the place where

      women enter hot baths (for washing ). The said: Yes. She said: I heard the Apostle of Allah

      (peace be upon him) say: If a woman puts off her clothes in a place other than her

      house, she tears the veil between her and Allah, the Exalted.

      It is forbidden for the believing woman, to open her ‘satr’ ( Satr means she should be dressed before other woman  from the beginning of her breasts to her knees (inclusive).)

      2. Make up:  There is no harm if the woman folk who come to beautify them selves with make up as long as there is no alter to one’s body parts for no valid reason but only as an adornment or beautification.

      Allah Says in the Holy Quran Chapter 4 Surah Nisaa verses 118-121:

      118       Allah did curse him (the Shaitaan) but he said: "I will take of Thy servants a portion marked off.

      119       "I will mislead them and I will create in them false desires;  I will order them to slit the ears of cattle,  and to deface the (fair) nature created by Allah."   Whoever forsaking Allah takes Satan for a friend,  hath of a surety suffered a loss that is manifest.

      120       Satan makes them promises and creates in them false desires; but Satan's promises are nothing but deception.

      121       They (his dupes) will have their dwelling in hell,  and from it they will find no way of escape

      3. Tattoos/ Eyebrows

      Sahih Al-Bukhari  7.815  Narrated by Abdullah

      Allah has cursed those women who practice tattooing and those who get themselves tattooed, and those who remove their eyebrow hairs, and those who create a space between their teeth artificially to look beautiful, and such women as change the features created by Allah.  Why then should I not curse those whom the Prophet (saws) has cursed?

      Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 7.816     Narrated by Humaid bin Abdur Rahman bin Auf

      The Prophet (saws)  said, "Allah has cursed the lady who artificially lengthens (her or someone else's) hair and the one who gets her hair lengthenedand the one who tattoos (herself or someone else) and the one who gets herself tattooed."

      For a believer, who sincerely believes in Allah and the Last Day, the fact that the Messenger of Allah (saws) invoked the curse of Allah on those who apply tattoos,  is reason enough for them to stay away from it.

      There is absolutely no harm if the women shaves, waxes, plucks, or removes her unwanted hair from any part of her body; except from her eye-brows.  Other than removing or shaping the hair from her eyebrows, a believing woman is allowed to remove any hair/s from any part of her body.

      4.Smoothening of wrinkles from the face

      If one’s wrinkles are due to the passage of time and nature, then their smoothening would be a form of altering the fair nature created by the Lord Most High; and thus not permissible in Islam.

      5. Shaving head/False Hair/Wig

      Narrated Ali ibn AbuTalib; Aisha

      Allah's Messenger (peace be upon him) forbade women to shave their heads.

      Tirmidhi transmitted it. Hadith no. 823

      Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 7.817     Narrated by Aisha

      An Ansari girl was married and she became sick and all her hair fell out. Intending to provide her with false hair, they asked the Prophet (saws) who said, "Allah has cursed the lady who artificially lengthens (her or someone else's) hair,  and also the one who gets her hair lengthened."

      Abdullah (bin Masud) said, "Allah curses those ladies who practice tattooing and those who

      get themselves tattooed, and those ladies who remove the hair from their faces and those

      who make artificial spaces between their teeth in order to look more beautiful whereby

      they change Allah's creation." His saying reached a lady from Bani Asd called Um Yaqub who came (to Abdullah) and said, "I have come to know that you have cursed such-and-such (ladies)?" He replied, "Why should I not curse these whom Allah's Apostle has cursed and who are (cursed) in Allah's Book!" Um Yaqub said, "I have read the whole Qur'an, but I did not find in it what you say." He said, "Verily, if you have read it (i.e. the Qur'an), you have found it. Didn't you read:

      'And whatsoever the Apostle gives you take it and whatsoever he forbids you, you abstain

      (from it).' (59.7)

      6.The wearing of a wig is absolutely impermissible in Islam.

      That in the year he performed Hajj, he heard Mu'awiya bin Abi Sufyan, who was on the

      pulpit and was taking a tuft of hair from one of his guards, saying, "Where are your

      religious learned men? I heard Allah's Apostle forbidding this (false hair) and saying, 'The

      children of Israel were destroyed when their women started using this.' " Narrated Abu

      Huraira: The Prophet said, "Allah has cursed the lady who artificially lengthens (her or

      someone else's) hair and the one who gets her hair lengthened and the one who tattoos

      (herself or someone else) and the one who gets herself tattooed."

      Narrated Jabir ibn Abdullah

      Allah's Apostle (peace be upon him) reprimanded that a woman should add anything to her

      head (in the form of artificial hair).

      In light of the above principles and guidance of the Holy Quran, it would not be permissible for a believing woman to do not permissible things

      There is no harm if a believing women wishes to cut her hair short, or shape her hair in any way, provided:

      They do not copy the hair-styles of men

      7 .Imitating pagan culture or men

      Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 8.820     Narrated by Ibn Abbas

      The Messenger of Allah (saws)  invoked the curse of Allah  on men who imitate women, and those women who assume the similitude of men.

      They do not copy the hair-style of any pagan people or culture

      Al-Tirmidhi Hadith 4649   Narrated by Abdullah ibn Amr ibn al-'As

      Allah's Messenger (saws) said, "He does not belong to us who imitates other people.”

      Sunan of Abu-Dawood Hadith 4020          Narrated byA bdullah ibn Umar

      The Prophet (saws) said: ‘He who copies any people is one of them.’

      8. Hair high like humps

      They do not shape their hair by making a hump on the top of their heads (like the Sardarjis).

      Sahih Muslim Hadith 6840          Narrated by Abu Hurayrah

      Allah's Messenger (saws) said:   “There are two types,  amongst the denizens of Hell,  I have yet not seen them.   One possessing whips like the tail of an ox and they flog people with them. (The second one) the women who would be naked,  in spite of their being dressed, who are seduced (to wrong paths) and seduce others with their hair high like humps.  These women would not get into Paradise,  and they would not perceive the odour of Paradise , although its fragrance can be perceived from such and such distance (from great distance).”

      It is not that the business you are running is evil or illegal;  it is how you save yourselves from doing anything which is forbidden and that will determine whether it is lawful or unlawful.

      Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 1.49      Narrated by An Numan bin Bashir

      I heard Allah's Messenger (saws) saying, 'Both, the halaal and the haraam things are evident; but in between them there are doubtful (suspicious) things, and most of the people have no knowledge about them. So whoever saves himself from these suspicious things saves his religion and his honor.  And whoever indulges in these suspicious things is like a shepherd who grazes (his animals) near the Hima (private pasture) of someone else and at any moment he is liable to get in it.’

      Allah Says in the Holy Quran Chapter 7 Surah Aaraaf verse 33: Say: The things that my Lord hath indeed forbidden are: shameful deeds whether open or secret;  sins and trespasses against truth or reason;  assigning of partners to Allah for which he hath given no authority;  and saying things about Allah of which ye have no knowledge.

      It is the duty of every believer,  who sincerely fears Allah and the Last Day,  to obey every word and command of Allah and His Messenger (saws).    A believer must strive to do everything Allah and His Messenger (saws) have commanded them to do;  and must stay away from everything that Allah and His Messenger (saws) forbade them to do.

      A true believer must abstain from doing anything which is unacceptable to Allah and His Messenger (saws);  and especially if the Messenger of Allah (saws) has specifically prohibited it, and invoked the curse of Allah on that thing.

      9. Using Henna

      Sahih Al-Bukhari Hadith 1.167     Narrated by Ubaid Ibn Juraij

      And about the dyeing of hair with Hinna;  no doubt I saw the Messenger of Allah (saws) dyeing his hair with it and that is why I like to dye (my hair with it).

      There is absolutely no harm if a woman applies henna on her hair,  or on her hands and feet

      As those who have, of our own free wills, accepted submission to our Lord Most Gracious, it is incumbent of every believer who sincerely fears Allah and the Last Day, to obey and follow His Commands and Guidance unconditionally.  Allah is our witness, if you abstain from indulging in the forbidden only for Allah’s Sake, He will reward you generously from His Grace and Mercy in this world and the Hereafter.

      Allah Says in the Holy Quran Chapter 41 Surah Haa-Meem berses 30-32:

      30         In the case of those who say "Our Lord is Allah" and further stand straight and steadfast (in the trials that befall them), the Angels descend on them (and say): "Fear ye not, nor grieve!  But receive the Glad Tidings of the Garden (of Bliss) the which ye were promised!

      31         "We are your protectors in this life and in the Hereafter: therein shall ye have all that your souls shall desire; therein shall ye have all that ye ask for!”

      32         "A hospitable gift from The One Oft-Forgiving Most Merciful!"

      You might lose some of your earnings by not doing some things in your beauty parlour which are not permissible , or you might lose some of your customers ; but your sacrifice will earn you the Pleasure and Good Will of that Being Who is the Lord of the Heavens and the Earth and everything that exists in between!

      Hadrat Ali ibn Abi Taalib (r.a.) reported that the Messenger of Allah (saws) taught the believers to supplicate Allah thus:  'O Allah, make Your lawful bounties sufficient for me so as to save me from what is unlawful, and from Your Grace grant me sufficient abundance to make me free from the need of all, except You'."

      Related by Tirmidhi.

      (Allahumma akfena bi-halaaleka unn haramik, wa agnena min fadhleka amman sewak.)

      We hope that we have tried to answer your question to your satisfaction and if there are any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask us.

      May Allah keep you in His Mercy and Protection Always.

      Your brother and well wisher in Islam,

      Verily my happiness is my iman &verily my iman is in my heart & verily my heart does not belong to anyone but Allah (Asma bint Abu Bakr R.A)

      "The power of iman is such that once it fills the heart of a true believing Mu’min it is impossible to be removed." (Sahih Bukhari)