Test

  • mnfife
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2002

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2002

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2002
          --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@y..., "mnfife" <mn@w...> wrote:
          > Is this list still alive?
          >
          > Marguerite
        • Michael Parker
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2002
            --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@y..., "mnfife" <mn@w...> wrote:
            >> > Is this list still alive?
            >> >
            >> > Marguerite

            I knew that reading the four volumes of the Alexandria Quartet would cause
            too much of a gap and lose a few readers (that and summer coming on).
            However, the ML100 group is still alive and activity should rebuild. Since
            the ML100 titles are ones we all might have read in school or in other
            groups or just to show how literate we are, I suspect that a great number of
            the group¹s readers, as I do myself, slide through some of the titles
            because we read them, don¹t want to re-read them, and maybe don¹t have a
            strong enough recollection of the details to actually make comments. With
            this in mind, it might be useful to take a roll-call at the start of each
            selection to see who is reading, who has read and who will be skipping the
            title for other reasons.

            For my part, I read Main Street a few years ago and may still be able to
            comment (I seldom re-read any book).

            As an added consideration, A Dance to the Music of Time is twelve separate
            titles, each in the 250-300 page range. When this title comes up (it¹s No.
            43) we¹ll have some who will want to read the entire series, but many will
            opt out. If we do this a title each month, the group will probably not
            survive the full year it will take for a few stalwarts to plunge through
            Dance (and in this case, I would re-read the book). Perhaps we should think
            about spreading Dance through the year but continue reading the other
            selections in order. This would mean two titles a month. Of course, Dance
            could be spread further (one every two months). Think about it ...

            Mike in New Jersey

            A Celebration of Reading @ http://homepage.mac.com/mparker_46/ACOR

            Now Reading: The Death of Vishnu (Suri)
            Bel Canto (Patchett)
            Adam Bede (Eliot)
            Just Finished: The Chosen (Potok)
            Steppin¹ On a Rainbow (Friedman)
            Asleep (Yoshimoto)
            Ready To Go: The Lecturer¹s Tale (Hynes)
            The Corrections (Franzen)
            Beowulf (Heaney)

          • dimmi55
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2002
              Okay, Mike. I have not even looked for Main Street in the library,
              so I'm probably a non-starter this month. (Still trying to get back
              to Clea!)
              I'm astonished by your assertion that you seldom re-read any book -
              though straight away you say you WOULD re-read A Dance to the Music
              of Time. Re-reading is one of the great pleasures. Books I found
              difficult as a twenty year old, I now find easy - and vice versa.
              Sometimes I wonder how I found the time and patience to wade through
              some titles!
              A suggestion for Dance: there is a wonderful video realisation of the
              series. Those who cannot find the time to read all the volumes might
              enjoy watching the videos, and could contribute comments on
              characters, plot. etc. The die hard readers could read the series
              simultaneously with the rest of the schedule.
              Just a quick thought about Edith Wharton's House of Mirth: I am
              amused by her frequent reference to tea as a stimulant!

              Karen
              CR: Black Elk Speaks, by Black Elk / Niehardt (Wow!)

              --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@y..., Michael Parker <mparker-

            • Michael Parker
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2002
                On 7/7/02 8:07 AM, "dimmi55" <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                > I'm astonished by your assertion that you seldom re-read any book ...
                >
                > Just a quick thought about Edith Wharton's House of Mirth: I am
                > amused by her frequent reference to tea as a stimulant!

                Karen

                Oh yes! Tea is has always been a major stimulant and can lead to all sorts
                of nefarious acts. As a kid we were only allowed small spoonfuls until our
                virgin systems could control the effects and coffee was only for seasoned
                adults. Of course back in Wharton¹s time if they got too high on tea they
                could always get asthma cigarettes over the counter to help them mellow out
                (note however that sudden attacks of the munchies were common).

                Now, why would I want to re-read a book unless (1) I read it as a kid and
                wanted to approach it as an adult (Three Musketeers) or (2) it was so
                complex or extended that I might only fully appreciate and understand it
                after several readings (Ulysses). I¹m always amused by individuals that
                re-read their favorite popular novels over and over, almost as a substitute
                for binge eating or drugs or love. Very little popular fiction is good
                enough to warrant such a response and I would much rather go on to the next
                title looking for gold. Dance, as you must admit, is one of those titles
                that almost demand re-reading (not to mention outlining and diagramming).

                I won¹t re-sych my reading with ML100 until Clockwork Orange but I¹ll be
                reading the comments and perhaps making a few of my own (if my recollection
                holds up).

                Mike in New Jersey

                A Celebration of Reading @ http://homepage.mac.com/mparker_46/ACOR

                Now Reading: The Corrections (Franzen)
                Bel Canto (Patchett)
                Adam Bede (Eliot)
                Just Finished: The Chosen (Potok)
                Steppin¹ On a Rainbow (Friedman)
                The Death of Vishnu (Suri)
                Asleep (Yoshimoto)
                Ready To Go: The Lecturer¹s Tale (Hynes)
                The Satanic Verses (Rushdie)
                Seventeen (Tarkington)
                The Blithedale Romance (Hawthorne)