Re: West

  • n_kuehn
    Message 1 of 826 , Mar 1, 2002
      I found the book by West to be dry and a
      difficult read. I completely disagree with the idea that
      Fitzgerald didn't better capture the idea of hedonism in
      "Gatsby", I thought his characters were far richer and more
      well developed. I too wondered why the book made the
      "100" list.....this book was the first book that I have
      read with this club and I am DESPERATELY hoping as I
      work my way through the other books on the list that
      no others will raise the question of, "Why read this
      over and over and praise it as a
      classic?"!!<br><br>Thanks for this club; it is highly enjoyable and I
      really enjoy the varying timelines for the books and
      candid opinions the members share.
    • kamonkey2001
      Message 826 of 826 , Apr 7, 2002
        Jessie,

        There's a long list of links that appears at the left of the screen
        starting with "Home" and continuing until it gets down to "Calendar"
        which is the second to last entry in the list.

        I'm new here too but as I understand it there is an entry for the
        Alexandria Quartet in March (and no entry so far for April) because
        the group is going to be reading all four books of the series which
        will take a while.

        --Kathy

        --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@y..., "missemilyophelia"