Top books

  • dimmi55
    Message 1 of 826 , Nov 1, 2001
      The Top Five or Ten list begs the question of
      criteria. In the end it is such a personal thing -
      different books strike one at different times of life. I've
      thought about this for a while and can only really come
      up with one all time great: A Suitable Boy, by
      Vikram Seth. It has something for everyone, and grand
      themes for contemplation, and it's a great read. I have
      read thousands of books over the years - recently I
      was astounded by the brilliant Cold Mountain, by
      Charles Frazier, and The Hours, by Michael Cunningham,
      was (literally) breathtaking (an astonishing ending
      that I didn't see coming). Closer to home, a local
      (Western Australian)publication, Pomegranate Season, by
      Caroline Polizzotto, was a beautifully structured and
      moving memoir of place and family. There are many more
      books I have loved for many reasons - it would be too
      hard to rank them. I hope other members won't shy away
      from the task...<br>Karen
    • kamonkey2001
      Message 826 of 826 , Apr 7, 2002
        Jessie,

        There's a long list of links that appears at the left of the screen
        starting with "Home" and continuing until it gets down to "Calendar"
        which is the second to last entry in the list.

        I'm new here too but as I understand it there is an entry for the
        Alexandria Quartet in March (and no entry so far for April) because
        the group is going to be reading all four books of the series which
        will take a while.

        --Kathy

        --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@y..., "missemilyophelia"