Angle of Repose

  • bekalex
    Message 1 of 826 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hi all,<br><br>I have been on the list for some
      time but never posted. Well, here I am.<br><br>I've
      enjoyed the discussion re the relationship comparison and
      generation gap. I read the book some time ago but have
      always felt a bit unsatisfied with it for one reason.
      pervasive generation gap of that day, the war in Viet Nam
      is never mentioned. That, as far as I remember, was
      the breaking point for most parent/child
      relationships. It was certainly a point of contention. Drugs and
      sex too, of course. Rock and roll was another item
      high on the list. The generations seriously did *not*
      understand each other.<br><br>I was 23 in 1971. I had lived
      through the 60's as an aware and active teenager,
      probably very similar in many respects to Shelly (although
      I doubt I would have been as open about sex with my
      elders) (g). I was involved one time (!) in an orgy. Used
      drugs in a very limited way. Was peripherally involved
      in the "hippie" thing. <br><br>If Shelly was
      attending Berkeley, Stegner was using that to show her as a
      part of that generation which was questioning
      everything . All values were questioned. The war was a big
      divisive issue, as were drug use and sex.<br><br>I felt
      that Stegner should have at least mentioned some of
      these points of contention. I certainly would have been
      talking about them to him had I been Shelly. But perhaps
      the point of the novel was to say that "in addition"
      to Viet Nam and drugs there were great divides
      between the generations.<br><br> He seems to focus on the
      sexual and relationship differences. To his grandmother
      you got married and stayed married no matter what. To
      Lyman's gneration you get married and stay til the going
      gets rough, to Shelly's you don't even make the
      commitment to stay. <br><br>Rodman is simply a part of the
      fallout. It may have been sex, drugs, Viet Nam, anything.
      There were so many areas of contention and there were
      *so many* baby-boomers that the older generation
      truly felt that we (those lazy, "make love not war,"
      drug-crazed, hippies) had taken over. (lol) And in sheer
      numbers we may have. <br><br>Thanks for letting me air
      that. I hadn't had it resolved in my mind why Stegner
      omitted Viet Nam as an issue, or drugs. He seemed to
      focus on the sex/relationship issues. But rethinking
      this, it's clearer for me now.<br><br>becky
    • kamonkey2001
      Message 826 of 826 , Apr 7, 2002
        Jessie,

        There's a long list of links that appears at the left of the screen
        starting with "Home" and continuing until it gets down to "Calendar"
        which is the second to last entry in the list.

        I'm new here too but as I understand it there is an entry for the
        Alexandria Quartet in March (and no entry so far for April) because
        the group is going to be reading all four books of the series which
        will take a while.

        --Kathy

        --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@y..., "missemilyophelia"