Re: Lord Jim-behavior + Marlow

  • jenilla7
    Message 1 of 826 , Apr 1, 2001
      The way the book is written certainly makes the
      reader concentrate on the characters - their
      personalaties and their motives - rather than the plot.
      normal decent young man who has perhaps read too many
      adventure novels when he was young. In his own mind he's
      always noble and heroic but when his courage is
      eventually tested he is unable to act. He just can't handle
      the real situation and freezes rather than trying to
      rescue others or himself for that matter. After the
      event he is full of remorse because he still sees
      himself as a heroic person and he can't stand others
      thinking of him as a coward. His behaviour of always
      fleeing from his past only makes him redicolous in my
      eyes. <br><br>About Marlow: He is taking a very active
      interest in the fate of Jim. I can't help but think that
      he is actually homosexual and that he became
      infatuated with Jim's good looks the moment he saw him and
      later fell in love with him. Nothing wrong with that I
      suppose. <br><br>Just my thoughts on the main characters
      so far<br>jen
    • kamonkey2001
      Message 826 of 826 , Apr 7, 2002
        Jessie,

        There's a long list of links that appears at the left of the screen
        starting with "Home" and continuing until it gets down to "Calendar"
        which is the second to last entry in the list.

        I'm new here too but as I understand it there is an entry for the
        Alexandria Quartet in March (and no entry so far for April) because
        the group is going to be reading all four books of the series which
        will take a while.

        --Kathy

        --- In modernlibrary100greatestbooks@y..., "missemilyophelia"